What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Upcoming projects - in 4k UHD & Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ah, yes...THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD. This film sounds more and more interesting all the time.
Finally having seen the film in a highly resolved scan, the storyline and acting take shape, and one can readily see why studio execs made the decision to move both 7th Heaven and Sunrise forward with these actors as leads. Their chemistry is immense.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Looking forward to being able to purchase a copy of THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD. Any idea of a distributor or release date at this point?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Looking forward to being able to purchase a copy of THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD. Any idea of a distributor or release date at this point?
We’ve not yet locked in a domestic distributor, but plan to premiere as a benefit - Spring 2023.

We plan to have neither Dolby Atmos nor 3D. And probably no Steelbook.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
There Are. Two actually. Everyone had to remember to speak into the microphone - hidden in the flowers, or wherever.

And the camera was no longer free roaming. It was locked away in a hot box with the operator.

Mamoulian seems to have been the only filmmaker striving for freedom.
Didn’t William Wellman invent the boom Mic?

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Hadn't yet commented on this thread, as I was a little late to the news, but I'm quite thoroughly ecstatic about it. When I'd talk to old-timers about their silent-era moviegoing experiences, this movie, "The Johnstown Flood", very often got cited. Everyone seemed to remember it and remember it fondly. It was always a bit maddening that such a prominent film (which survived) as this was so difficult to see in a solid and proper presentation, outside a few festival screenings. George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor are always aces with me. I was just revisiting Gaynor in Borzage's "Lucky Star" (1929-Fox) a couple of weeks ago, and what a stunningly lensed film that one is. Lovely, lovely movie.

So anyway, it's a particular thrill when a long-neglected classic like 'Flood' gets brought back out of the shadows. Although I do admit, I'm of the bent that tends to get easily excited over just about any restoration of the era. Even if the most low-grade of fare, concurrent with this. Gee, I'd be welcoming of remastered and released blu's of Morris Schlank's cheapo Al Hoxie films, or a disc of the Hairbreadth Harry shorts. Hmm, the "Ben Wilson: Filmmaker" collection. Yep, I'd be first in line to buy that, too. Love that whole fly-by-night, seat-of-your-pants, barnstorming period of moviemaking. I find it all innately entrancing. But there's some really great artistry involved when talking about big Fox productions like "The Johnstown Flood," and they merit the attention and care I'm sure Mr. Harris is providing. Such great news.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Finally having seen the film in a highly resolved scan, the storyline and acting take shape, and one can readily see why studio execs made the decision to move both 7th Heaven and Sunrise forward with these actors as leads. Their chemistry is immense.

Sir, are there any major differences when restoring a silent film as opposed to a talkie? Will FLOOR contain the original subtitles?

mockoski

Auditioning
Real Name
James Mockoski
Some facts about Mr. O’Brien new to me. I was unaware that early on he was an athlete, worked in stunts, and re-upped in the military in WWII.

Someone should attempt a quality feature article. Apparently the one book available has numerous shortfalls.

I believe his Father was also the police chief of San Francisco.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sir, are there any major differences when restoring a silent film as opposed to a talkie? Will FLOOR contain the original subtitles?
No difference other than the track. Film is film. Nitrate just makes things more difficult.

Yes. Inter-titles. All are intact. A few are being massaged.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
1671054575281.jpeg

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
That a great looking bit of artwork; is that newly created or similar to original posters? Also, IMDb lists the running time at exactly one hour. Is that the extent of the original footage or have further elements been found?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That a great looking bit of artwork; is that newly created or similar to original posters? Also, IMDb lists the running time at exactly one hour. Is that the extent of the original footage or have further elements been found?
Newly created. We’ve found no original posters.

There have been no further elements located. They seem to not exist.

And yes, we’ll run about an hour. We just added a missing inter-title based upon the original screenplay.

Creeping forward frame-by-frame, with an opening on Sunday 28 May.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks