What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Upcoming projects - in 4k UHD & Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Was that not the LoC?
VCI used the LOC materials my understanding VCI did the scan and the tweaking they are now doing Tonight Or Never for next year - TCM has used VCIs masters before so they make the deal with Pickrod to air RAIN and use VCIs new master.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
VCI used the LOC materials my understanding VCI did the scan and the tweaking they are now doing Tonight Or Never for next year - TCM has used VCIs masters before so they make the deal with Pickrod to air RAIN and use VCIs new master.
Where did VCI do the scan, and what element did they use? VCI isn’t compensated? Funds go directly to the upkeep of Pickfair? Does Doug, Jr. have any say in this? Wait. Wrong mother.

You should become an agent for classic film sales.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Where did VCI do the scan, and what element did they use? VCI isn’t compensated? Funds go directly to the upkeep of Pickfair? Does Doug, Jr. have any say in this? Wait. Wrong mother.

You should become an agent for classic film sales.
Thank you u sir! Thought that was strange to that they TCM would work with Pickford Foundation and not VCI unless they are some info I am not privy too. VCI uses various places I know they are waiting on a custom scanner made for them - the pandemic delayed it - they have a great lady that does the restoration from the scan - cleanup removing dirt etc. I was on the call for Lionsgate and Flash Gordon VCI offered to do the scans or use Lionsgates contact but VCI said when done they would give them the 2K or 4K scans. I know TCM airs VCI's masters on some serials too. Interesting on Scrooge 1951 VCI's master is now what is aired because they gave the master to FOX/Disney they offer to give copies of the new master to the rights holders when done. On Scrooge it is so sad so their stunning last restoration cannot be sold by them but now Disney gets to air the new master. By the way here is the link that details all about the work VCI did on RAIN working with LOC and Pickford Foundation - you should see if VCI would handle your release of The Johnstown Flood https://www.vcientertainment.com/rain/

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
1689242571063.png

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I just discovered this thread. A wonderful discussion with so many memories and information about the film and its era. Reminds me of a letter that I inherited that was sent by Tom Mix to William Fox when Mr. Fox was working on his autobiography. It was filled with memories of the earliest days of motion pictures, and how the two of them met. I donated it years ago to the Academy Award Library, but of course kept a scan! I've tried to attach it for those interested, along with a very interesting copy of a check that Mr. Fox wrote to himself that I've fantasized was the beginning of his movie studio, but of course I am not a film historian with regard to dates and historical fact. Hope the pdf is functional for folks.

Is/was this restored film available to buy. I'm in!

Attachments

• Tom Mix Letter to William Fox.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 86

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just discovered this thread. A wonderful discussion with so many memories and information about the film and its era. Reminds me of a letter that I inherited that was sent by Tom Mix to William Fox when Mr. Fox was working on his autobiography. It was filled with memories of the earliest days of motion pictures, and how the two of them met. I donated it years ago to the Academy Award Library, but of course kept a scan! I've tried to attach it for those interested, along with a very interesting copy of a check that Mr. Fox wrote to himself that I've fantasized was the beginning of his movie studio, but of course I am not a film historian with regard to dates and historical fact. Hope the pdf is functional for folks.

If you reference the image above, it’s in the beginning stages of restoration. Months to go.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Johnstown arrives 17 Oct

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Are we talking about the silent version of Beau Geste?
We are. You know your films!

A long time in the works. Reaching out to anyone with odd footage.

The film went through three cuttings - Roadshow at c. 129 minutes, General Release at c. 119 minutes and Second run at c. 103 minutes. We’re aware of elements (35 and 16) held by all the usual suspects, and are now reaching out to collectors.

All known “complete” 35mm elements are the 103 minute version.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I recognized the intertitle. I saw Beau Geste in '72 at MoMA, a 35mm print sent from the Paramount vault I presume. Alas, I do not remember the running time.
I wish you success.
I've maintained for many a decade that the silent version is superior to the '39 remake. It features Alice Joyce.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I recognized the intertitle. I saw Beau Geste in '72 at MoMA, a 35mm print sent from the Paramount vault I presume. Alas, I do not remember the running time.
I wish you success.
I've maintained for many a decade that the silent version is superior to the '39 remake. It features Alice Joyce.
The running time would have been 103. The film was cut to that length in 1927. MOMA had a their own 35 diacetate struck mid-1930s, which they might have run.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
That's 26 minutes that were cut, a huge chunk of film. Do you have any idea, via a continuity script or other documentation, what might have been cut? That's an interesting bit of film archeology.
I hope your reaching out to collectors works out.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's 26 minutes that were cut, a huge chunk of film. Do you have any idea, via a continuity script or other documentation, what might have been cut? That's an interesting bit of film archeology.
I hope your reaching out to collectors works out.
Appreciated. Yes, we know quite a bit, based upon the original music score for the Roadshow. One long lift (missing) would have been between the end of the dinner sequence with the theft of the jewel to Mary Brian waking in the morning.

In that sequence the brothers discuss their plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks