What's new

Which TV to get for < $1200 and where to buy online? (1 Viewer)

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
First post! I have been lurking in this forum for awhile and bought the JBL NSP1 and Panasonic RP-82 based off of threads here. However, the Display Forum is not so cut and dry. It seems that $1200 (this is my absolute max) is an awkward price point for HDTV's. I could use any input. RP or CRT, widescreen, cheap deals online, etc. There is a case of FAF (fiancee, not wife) where she doesn't like widescreen because of "those bars", but ultimately it is up to me. Why is it that women don't appreciate technology? Well, that's my mission impossible. Thanks in advance.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There is a case of FAF (fiancee, not wife) where she doesn't like widescreen because of "those bars"
Is this refering to widescreen DVDs or widescreen TVs??

Anyway, if $1200 is your max, then try looking at the Samsung 32" 4x3 HDTV or 30" 16x9 HDTV for ~$1K. Best Buy and probably many other chain stores carry them.

If you really want an RPTV, you might be able to find one on clearance like a Panny 47wx49. But that TV needs a lot of tweaking to get good results PLUS locks into FULL mode w/ 480p inputs. Since you're using a Panny RP82, that means you'd have to switch to interlaced output for non-16x9 DVDs to display correctly on that TV (and any other widescreen TVs that lock into FULL mode w/ 480p inputs).

If you get anything on clearance, make sure to avoid open-box and demo models.

_Man_

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
Why avoid open-box and demos?

I am looking at Panasonic 32" tau series open box...

My fiancee doesn't like widescreen DVDs, so I said let's get a widescreen TV and then she found out that you'd have bars on the sides instead. And I can't stand anything in stretched formats.

Joe_Udo

Auditioning
There is a GE 40" projection tv at circuit city.
I just saw it last weekend, haven't heard much about it.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Demo models has been on for all day. Maybe 12-14 hours a day, well until the store cloeses. Lets say the demo model has been on for 10 hours a day for a 4 month period.

4 month period at 10 hours a day is 1120 hours. That is a lot of hours. I don't know of anyone that leave their set on 10 hours a day, while they are out.

I don't know how often a store like Best Buy change their floor models, but when I was looking, they had a demo model out for sale with no remote and no manual. I looked at the picture and it had a big hot spot in the middle of the screen.

Even with the discount that they were offering, I couldn't imagine buying a rptv that been on for so many hours a day.

As for tube HDTV, maybe the chances are better, but there is always that risk.

David Hartsock

Auditioning
Panny 47"'s were going for $1288 new here in Indianapolis last week. I bought one at HH Gregg. Spent a little time (about 2hrs) tweaking and WOW! Definitely worth going 300 over your budget. We won't tell her you did :)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
$1288 is a good deal. That is almost at cost. Which model are we talking about, pt47wx42?

Its $1599 at Best Buy.

David Hartsock

Auditioning
Yes, BRAND NEW Panasonic 47" widescreen. No screen protector. $1288 @ HH Gregg here in Indianapolis. I bought it Dec 16th for $1404 and saw in in their New Year's flier for $1288. Went back and they mailed me a check for 129.74

I've got the receipt to prove it. If you have a HH gregg in your area or feel like coming to Indy I'll copy it!

Jeff_S

Agent
On Fourth of July, Fry's was advertising the new Panasonic 47WX53 for $999! Unfortunately, the three locations I checked out were already sold out by 2pm. :frowning:

Parisis

Agent
47 in Panasonics can be had for $999. Got mine at Boscovs (East Coast). The do need to be set up properly but it's easy and fun.

Rick Mach

Auditioning
I bought the Panasonic 47WX53 at Fry's over the 4th. So far I have disabled SVM, performed basic calibration with Avia/VE, and converged the set (multiple times). The picture looks good but still a little soft. Any suggestion on further setup instruction. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks