Panasonic RPTV PX47WX49
Panasonic DVD RP-56
SONY VCR
Outlaw 1050
Klipsch RC-3II Front Center
Klipsch RF-3 Fronts
Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer
Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds
Klipsch RC-3 Rear Center (currently not in use)
Nintendo Gamecube
SONY PS2
SEGA Dreamcast
M$ XBOX
I purchased the speakers all at once, and the SUB was the best match at the time to the set (both in my limited knowledge and price range).
After moving into a house recently, I've been able to stretch the legs of the system (FINALLY) and I'm really finding the SUB lacking in accurate base, I've never been really felt one way or the other about the KSW12, but now, it's sounding very boomy/hollow.
So...given my current setup AND the fact that I will for sure be upgrading to seperates (leaning towards the Outlaw 950/770 package) come next upgrade time, (and the fact that I just HAVE to upgrade something ;)which SVS would it be?
Current room is around 10w x 18w (ish), with two doorways on the same wall about 6 feet apart (one with door, closest to the Fronts).
(also and suggestions for seperates would be great)
Edited for more information
Used primarliy for movies (60% Movies 30% Gaming and 10% TV). All types of movies (Action/Chick/Animated/Sci-Fi), wide range of music (Classical, Rap, Rock, Metal, you name it).
Price is not really an issue (to an extent), but I'm sure that from my set-up you can tell that I usually follow the 'Best Bang for the Buck' model. No aesthetic resctrictions, no neighbors, two subs is an option, but not a must have at this time.
Previous environment was wall to wall carpet, current is hardwood flooring. And the entire setup was re-calibrated (audio and visual) to adjust to the new surroundings.
Ron - I'll take any coments, you ARE an SVS user right? ;)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Tim,

You included everything but the below things we ALWAYS have to ask customers (though I'm sure you are probably more interested in user comments, just the same):

1. How loud do you like to play you music and movies? (by that I mean, with the family, in demo mode for friends, the whole smash). Do you like theater/concert levels or is someone always telling you to "turn that ^%$%)(@&($ thing down!... like a neighbor ;^)??

2. What SORT of programming do you like. Pop music? Rap, classical organ, what? And for movies, action flicks? Chick flicks, Barney? You get the idea. Mention some of your current faves.

3. Finally, and in some cases, most importantly, what's your budget? SVS is pretty good working Champagne tastes on beer budgets, but having a cap can rule out some possibilities real quick.

4. Are you restricted to one subwoofer, or would two be possible (budget notwithstanding)??

Answer me these questions ... uh, four, and you'll be much closer to a recommendation that'll stick.

Ron

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Do you have budget or aesthetic restrictions?

If your sub is sounding boomy now but was not boomy prior to you moving?

If so, keep in mind you could have a placement issue. If so, even though you can always upgrade subs, the location will most likely be problematic with the new unit.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Since you have 4 consoles I would get the 25-35. Had it been 1-3, then maybe another model.

What else would Ron use? HSU!!??

Tim Hess

Second Unit
The 25-31 you mean?
What does having 4 consoles have to do with anything? :)
My eye is leaning towards the 20-39PC-Plus as it leaves me room to upgrade, but when I upgrade, I would think I would want to go passive...
Consoles = Video Game systems :)

Tim Hess

Second Unit
So I think these would be the best options to go with:

20-39PC-Plus subwoofer with 525 watt built-in BASH amp $749

20-39CS+ Subwoofer and Samson 1000 Watt Amp SALE: $899

$150.00 difference in price and I'm not locked into the 525 watt built-in AMP on the 20-39PC+, as well as having the option to add another 20-39CS+ to the Samson Amp.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"Problem going passive is getting some power to a to the SUB prior to upgrading to seperates"

You could use an old amp or receiver to power your passive sub for starters. You can also buy one of the Samsons from SVS or get a good used stereo amp from ebay. There's lots of Haflers, Adcoms, Carvers, etc., there.

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
About a month ago, I was considering the same options you are. Because I had an extra Rotel RB980BX, I decided to initially buy one 20-39 CS+ and power it with the Rotel. It was a B-stock, so the price of $479 was hard to resist.

The SVS and Rotel sounded good, but I couldn't resist the urge to see what I was missing. Within a couple months I added a Samson S1000 and a second 20-39 CS+. This is a great combination and one I would recommend if you think you will want to add a second subwoofer. I also like the fact that the Samson S1000 has LEDs to indicate if it is clipping, which is one feature the 20-39PC-Plus does not offer.

Mike

Tim Hess

Second Unit
B-s1000 - B-stock Samson S1000
B-1646csp - B-stock 1646CS Plus

Both currently available for purchase (B-stock) for:

$5 less than a new 20-39CS+ Subwoofer, Samson 1000 Watt Amp and the Pro-Grade Interconnect.

AND

$55 less than a brand new Samson S1000 and 16-46CS Plus (sans interconnect @$26.95). So if I picked it all up (including the interconnect) I would be saving a whopping $28.05 and getting B-Stock.

Oh the choices to be made.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Being "locked" into that 525 watt BASH amp won't be a problem later. The driver can't handle more power so upgrading the amp will not gain anything. Additionally, the PC model has a rumble filter, the CS series needs that extra in the black-box or in an eq like the ART351.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Well, I'm still a tad confused, after doing numerous searches on the boards on SVS (SVS and Klipsh combos, etc.) I'm still no better off :)
25-31
20-39CS+
(60% Movies 30% Gaming and 10% TV)
Which is better suited?

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Tim! I have a 16-46PCi, and soon to have 2 16-46PC+'s. The single 16-46 is a monster with movies, just incredible depth added. Just thought I'd make it a little harder for you to choose :)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I recieved my SVS a couple of week ago (25-31PCi), and I'm still as impressed as the first day, this Sub is incredible, for me is enough, some guys recomend me to go for the 20-39 PCi, but I had some problems with the height and placement, so I went for the little brother, and for me is the greatest upgrade I have ever make. The bass doesnt bother my ears, is very deep, not boomy, I cant describe how good is it, you have to hear one to believe me.

I havent audition the 20-39 PCi, but it has a $50 difference from the 25-31 PCi, so if you dont have placement problems or WAF. Go for the big one, and if you can 16-46 PCi, but if you are going for the new PC+ line, go for a 25-31PC+.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Tim,
When I was first looking at SVS subs the guys at SVS asked me a bunch of questions. They suggested I stick with the dual 25-31CS's. I could not have been more happy with that decision. These things rock. I have 4500cu.ft. of space and they fill every nook and cranny of it.
I opted for the 22Hz tune. I was willing to give up a little up top to gain a little more down low for the movies. A worth while investment and my music didn't suffer and sounds superbly better than before.
25-31's get a :emoji_thumbsup: from me.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Seeing as I'll be using it with my Klipsch RF3s (37Hz-20kHz±3dB) I'm going to go with the 20-39 (20 Hz tuning point, +/- 3 dB 20 Hz-100 Hz). Seems to fit within my max budget, my room isn't that big and I listen to both music and movies.
(does that seem logical? If not would a 25-31 do me better)
The other factor is built in amp or not.
I've never used an amp of any sort with audio gear so I'm not sure what I'm getting into. Not seeing the back of the Samson, I'm not sure just how I would hook it up with my current gear (reciever LFE -> sampson -> SVS?).
So I'm there, credit card in hand, I've filled out the order form so many times so far, for both model variations.
Needs help badly :)
I'm calling you SVS guys today!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I've got a 25-31PCi tuned to 22. went with the smallest SVS, for WAF. that's all I need, more than enough sub to shake the walls, rattle the doors.
Tim, my living room's a bit bigger than yours, so losing a bit of dB by getting the 20-39 shouldn't hurt you at all. of course, if you're getting the PC+, it's going to be louder than my little PCi anyway...
looking at your link, RF-3 = 98dB sensitivity. wow
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Maybe these will help give you guys a sense of room size that I will be putting the sub in. I will be in this place for 11 more months (unless by some strange twist I have to move), so better to shop for this current space, with the idea of upgrading both here and potentially elsewhere.
Sweet Spot
Shot 1
Shot 2
Shot 4
Shot 5
Facing Rears
Current SUB placement Not worried about moving it, but as you can see there are very few places that it can go while not being totally in the way.

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to go along with Chris and recommend a 16-46 PC+. I recently went through the tough process of choosing an SVS sub and finally decided to go with the 16-46 because I wanted to make sure that I would get ALL the bass from my DVDs and music. I decided it would be worth sacrificing a few decibles from already ear-splitting levels to get the lowest bass possible. At 46 inches though, it seems like it'll be a beast, but if you can get past the WAF, then I would have to recommend that. Plus, if you ever get the urge to add a second one, you'll have the lowest of the low coupled with amazing db output, the best upgrade path in my mind.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Tim,

You have gotten lots of good recommendations, but with the budget you told me about, and the space limitations, and a mid-sized room, I'd probably opt for the 20-39PC-Plus.

One size bigger or one smaller won't be much compromise in terms of performance, but will clearly emphasize different aspects of performance.

The "not too big, not too small" size of the 20-39, and the fact the PC-Plus can be easily tuned lower if you want to go there means it's really the switch hitter of the SVS stable now (or will be in a week or two when they are finally shipping).

I know this. For $750 (not counting DIY solutions of course) there isn't going to be a solution that provides more deep, accurate and powerful bass. With the latest round of testing Tom's done (against a well-known performance benchmark in the $750-850 price range) we know this to be a case.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks