What's new

Which Sub for Polk Rti25 and fairly small room (1 Viewer)

bruin

Second Unit
Hi,

I'm sure this topic regarding subwoofers has already been raised before and I've done some research. But I'd like to get some opinions regarding my situation.

My room dimensions are about 10x10x10 ft. I listen to 50% (alternative, pop, dance. jazz) music and 50% action movies. I currently own a cheap KLH sub that I've stuffed with polyfill.

I'd like to upgrade to a sub that:

- wont make my mounted Polk Rt25i fall off the wall
- is cleaner and tighter than my KLH
- is

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Given your budget is ~$400, have you considered building your next sub?

- won't make neighbors call cops.
Unforunately, there's little that can be done about this. In another thread, Buttkickers were recommended. Bolt one of those to your chair or couch to experience and "feel" the bass effects. The only down-side is the price - $700.00 or so. Plus, you'll need a separate amp to power it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
You'd have to tell us what $300 subs you want to compare, but I feel the DLS 10 will best anything that Best Buy sells in the $300 range.

bruin

Second Unit
I've looked at the following:

SVS $379 25-31 CS Unpowered subwoofer. I have an old stereo integrated amp but it only handles 8~16ohm loads. So I guess I can't use that to power the Sub.

10" TITANIC VANCE SUBWOOFER KIT from PartsExpress.com. $349 w/ free shipping. I haven't read a lot of reviews of this sub. Has anyone tried this sub or can compare this to subs?

POLK PSW350 $230 ebay w/ free shipping (local pickup available). Reviews of the PSW350 at audioreview are good but not many comparisons with other subs. Soundstage.com reviews it as a good music sub but just a bit lacking for a thrilling movie experience.

By thrilling I mean being able to say "HOLY MOLY" after Queen Amidala's ship get's blown to pieces to Star Wars Episode II.

All suggestions are very much welcome! If you want to suggest a sub that is >$400 please do so so long as it's not overkill for a 10x12ish room. Thanks!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The SVS would be the way to go if you can get an inexpensive plate amp to power it. PE sells a 250W amp for $119 or so normally. I think for "HOLY MOLY" you'll want the SVS.

If I ordered the 10" Titanic kit I'd ask them to disable the built in bass boost on the plate amp. They should do that for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks