What's new

Which speakers to get first? (1 Viewer)

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Ok I am currently in the process of upgrading my HT speakers but one bit at a time. I am contemplating which speaker to upgrade that will make the most difference in HT :)

I could replace the following:

- Some cheap bookshelves as my fronts which I believe sound pretty bad overall.... mainly treble not much eles

- Small DIY centre speaker but overall pretty good quality, just a little small on the sound (4" speakers)...

- And an old Sony sub which gets quite loud but boomy....

I was originally thinking of upgrading my sub to an SVS for all the bass I would need.....

Then decided on a high end centre speaker instead as most HT sound is through this speaker.....

Now it's got me thinking that i should just get rid of the weakest link and replace my cheap bookshelves with high end floormounts, should help with overall sound quality and boost abit of bass for now?

I know this is all very subjective but just want to get some advice on what ppl think if the more important bit in HT given the above. EG. definately subwoofer first.. etc :)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd say........whichever you're the most unhappy with.
I'd probably do the three front speakers first. They definitely need to be the same brand, for timbre matching. Ideally, all five speakers should match, but the front three are the most important to match up. Some good fronts, with decent woofers in them, will hold you until you can do better, with the SVS.

I'd say that SVS is the way to go, for a sub. They don't come any better than that. HSU is another option to consider.
Good luck!

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
I think I am most unhappy with my bookshelf fronts...so leaning towards some new floormounts first so far :)

I guess it's best to have a good overall sound with all average speakers then one good one and one really crap one...

How are special effect explosions handles in DVDs in regards to the centre and front speakers? I think this is where I notice the most harshness (i am assuming more from the fronts...)? but also notice alot of effects come through the centre speaker also

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
How much are you looking to spend? I just bought the white SVS-SBS-01's 5.0 speaker set on "sale" for $450. they ROCK. and for $450. you cant beat that. I wanted black, but not for $150 more I didn't. last I checked last week there was a B-stock Black 5.0 set.

tgraham

Grip
Real Name
Terry Graham
I am in a similar boat. I actually own a very expensive sound system that I had to leave behind when I moved to the U.S. I have since been able to get a couple of my speakers down here when my parents would come to visit. I told them that at the very least I would like the subwoofer and the center channel speaker. Believe it or not that is about 70% of your system right there. You have fun rumble from the sub and 90% of the onscreen action is taken in by the center. So without the ambient stuff picked up from the other 4 speakers (2 fronts, 2 surrounds) I have just about everything I need (for now) to make for some great sound. I would encourage you to do the same thing. Based on your budget get yourself a good center speaker and a sub. I have the Paradigm CC-350 center and a Velodyne CHT-10 which kicks butt for a sub and isn't pricey.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
yes, the svs closeout deals on right now are very good if you don't mind white or silver speakers.

before getting into any other specific model recommendations, how big is the room? what's the avr? what's the budget? how much music will you use these speakers for? what kind of music? what kind of movies? do you prefer bright, neutral or warm sound? these are all considerations that will affect what speakers you're likely to enjoy the most.

unless you listen to a significant amount of certain kinds of music, and can afford a truly full range tower (floorstanding) speaker, i would say you'd do far better value wise getting bookshelves. bookshelves have little if any compromise and real potential benefits sound and integration wise in an HT set-up vs tower speakers.

i also agree with mr moxley in that whenever you replace your fronts, get all three speakers from the same company/ line for timbre matching purposes.

also, a good sub (integrated properly) will make almost any speaker sound better than it does without the sub.

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Thanks for the replies, I will be getting all matching speakers (looking at the Monitor Audio Silver range) but can only upgrade one speaker at the momment. EG centre or fronts

Also how are special effect explosions handles in DVDs in regards to the centre and front speakers? I think this is where I notice the most harshness (i am assuming more from the fronts...)? but also notice alot of effects come through the centre speaker also

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott

If I may give my opinion...
This totally based on the frequency of the explosions recorded. If you include a subwoofer then the frequencies below the low pass will be handled by the sub. Of course we have learned that the cutoff is gradual not immediate. My first impression is that explosions will cross from low ~15hz to the mid-bass ~120hz range. With a sub it would handle most of this and then then center and fronts would fill in after the high pass. My guess would be the ~80hz range the center fronts and surrounds would kick in.

If you do not use a sub then you will miss much of the low frequency from HT, unless you are using center and fronts that have have extremely low extension.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, based on your one speaker at a time restriction. Id say Center channel first, then sub. then fronts (I dont think I could choose Left or Right over the other) Just make sure they match the center channel. then the rears.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
if you're looking for monitor audio silver, have you checked out saturday audio? they're an authorized closeout dealer and have very good deals on what they have in stock. i think they're out of the center but have some nice bookshelves.

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Sorry what I meant was in the 5.1 mix of dvd soundtracks and effects...how much is done by the centre speaker and how much is done by the fronts for special effects and explosions etc not counting the sub?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
depends on the soundtrack. but overall, people guess 75% off all sound in a surround mix comes from the center. there's no special or specific ratio of FX sounds center:mains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks