Which Seabiscuit are you buying?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adams, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I am going to purchase Seabiscuit today and was wondering how many of you are going to purchase the 2 disc colletors set? Is it worh the extra money? Is there a lot more in there that we do not get with the normal version? I have found the normal version for $14.96, the collectors set is $29.99. Do you think it is worth the extra money?

2. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Collector's set. On its way to me from Amazon ($29.xx shipped)

3. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Got the collector's set, too. Actually, it arrived today. But to be honest, if you can get the single disc for only 15 bucks, I wouldn't buy the collector's set it unless you really want the bonus disc and collectible stuff.

Interestingly, Germany will be getting a regular 2 disc set at a regular price. I wish Universal USA had done the same instead of once again making an additional disc only available in a (relatively) expensive box set. (Scarface, E.T. and American Wedding anyone?)

Chris

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yeah, I decided to get the normal version. Actually picked it up for $14.76.

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I bought the normal version for the packaging alone. Why couldn't the collector's edition have a keepcase?? Their loss I guess.

6. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

I bought the 20 pound bag of kibble....my Dog loves it. It gave him a nice shiney coat.

7. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Stunt Coordinator

I'm buying the one with the horse!
    [​IMG]
    Rick

8. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I am buying the fullscreen version, not the damn short-screened "litterboxed" edition. I didn't pay good money for a 50" screen not to have the whole screen filled!

Kidding! [​IMG]

9. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I usually nearly always go for the Special Edition, but I didn't in this case, for two reasons -

1. At Best Buy, the regular edition came with the full Seabiscuit bestseller - now THAT'S a bonus feature!

2. Believe it or not, sometimes useless "collectables" actually turn me away. While I do enjoy lavish packaging, to me those pointless "film frames" are a waste of time, and a BOOKMARK? What's the point - most collectors won't take it out of the box anyway.

I'm by no means down on all this stuff - I actually did enjoy the R2 Hulk box, with the book of different artist's interpretations of the "Hulkification" scene, and the cute storyboard cards.

If Seasbiscuit CE had been say, $5 cheaper and dumped the stills, bookmark and film frame, I might well have bought it. But to me, in this case there's nothing "collectable" about this junk.

Of course, YMMV.[​IMG]

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I got the Best Buy regular (widescreen) edition with the mass-market paperback attached. Then I got a price-match on the collector's edition. Someone will be getting the regular edition minus the book for Christmas. [​IMG]

The bookmark in the collector's edition was clearly intended for the paperback book that came with the Best Buy regular edition. [​IMG]

- Steve

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Steve, what a devious....hey wait a sec...that's a good idea! (heads over to BB w/ Circuit City flier in hand) [​IMG]

12. David Dias

David Dias Stunt Coordinator

I usually go for the gift sets too, but not in this case. I just couldn't bring myself to justify spending $29.99 for the gift set compared to $15.99 for the regular version.

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Heck, I haven't watched 90% of the Special Features on the nearly 300 DVD's that I already own...so I personally would never be able to justify the extra expense. Not for this movie anyway.

14. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a question about this DVD. Actually, about the case ... what kind of case IS this, anyway? I mean, with the two little 'snap-locks' on it. This is the first time I've seen one of these.

Oh, and I bought the regular version w/ the book @ Wal*Mart.

15. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

box set.[​IMG]

16. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

I decided on keeping the giftset (have both) and giving my sister the regular copy.

17. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    What do you get for the more expensive one, a horses hoof?

18. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

funny, Kenny, very funny[​IMG]

but seriously, is there a name for the type of case with those 'snap-locks'?

Thanks!

19. WillG

WillG Producer

I kind of wish that people would stop buying Universals' Deluxe editions. It's price gouging plain and simple. It's them saying they can charge double or triple just for a bonus dics with some more extras and some "Collector's Items" The sad thing is that plently of other studios would just make them 2-Disc special editions at a regular price and be done with it. Unfortunaltely I did have to cave in and buy the American Wedding Gift Set because the 3-hour documentary was recomended.

I would be more forgiving if this was Universals' only fault.