What's new

Which receiver should I go with. (1 Viewer)

Steven_B

Agent
I am replacing an old and now worthless receiver. I feel overwhelmed with the info out there. I am starting to build a home theater, right now its looking pretty meager. I have older TV with only composite connections, a hifi VCR, and a CD changer. I recently bought five matching JBL speakers, and plan to purchase a DVD player later on. Now I won't to start my system off with a good receiver. I have been looking at Yamaha RX-V800 and 1000, Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX, and Sony ES V333S. I can't spend a fortune so I have been looking online to make my purchase. I have heard so mixed messages about going this route. I anybody has any advice I would appreciate it. Thank you and I hope everybody the best in these tragic times.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I just help a friend setup a budget system which included a Yam RXV 1000 and was so impressed by this receiver that I went and upgraded my Yam 2095 with a RXV1 Yam. He paid about 600 for the Yam. Hell, I paid over 2k for the RXV1 and I have to admit, it really didn't sound any better... just more buttons and whistles. I would definitely go with the 100o over the 800 Yam and then use your old amp/rec to power your rear center.
You can build an inexpensive yet tremendous system by looking around and not letting others push you into buying based on their tastes. I've set up some very simple systems lately that were surprisingly good and effective. Go for it.
------------------

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
I've written this before, in this forum, but I suppose I can write it again. Decide what features and capabilities you want and what you can afford to spend. Then simply go down the list of receivers, eliminating any that lack a desired feature or are too expensive.
When I did this, almost a year ago, I was left with exactly one receiver, so the choice was easy. It wouldn't surprise me if you found that there are no receivers that meet all your wishes at a price you can afford to pay. If this proves to be the case, figure out what you can get along without that still leaves you with a acceptable receiver.
In my case, I discovered that there was no reason to spend more than $500 on a receiver. I advise you to set that limit also.
------------------
Norm Strong ([email protected])

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you can push it try the Denon 2802. It also has DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and P.L. II decoding.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Don't buy the Yamaha 1000 - No DPL 2, no powered sixth channel. Rumour has it replaced before the end of the year with a more competative product.
If you want to buy now, in that price range I'd recommend Denon 2801 or Marantz 6200/7200.

I just bought a Marantz 5200 with JBL nsp 5 speakers and sony sub. It sounds incredible. I also have an old jbl center serving as my rear center, and I LOVE the 6.1 mode on the Marantz. It sounds incredible. It will send info to the rear on DD and DTS 5.1 and 6.1 tracks, although I think always matrixed, but hey, it sounds great to me.
I picked this up with 100ft 14g speaker wire, an S cable, and a good sub cable for 580 after tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks