What's new

which projector? (1 Viewer)

JimHagstrom

Agent
I'm trying to design my first projector based HT room and have come up with a couple of projectors and would like your opions on the.

Which one or maybe some other one? What do you think?

Sony Cineza™ VPL-HS51
Panasonic PT-L500U
Panasonic PT-AE700U

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jim, the following is posted atop the thread-listing page in the Basics area:

Hence, your post is now located here in Display Devices.

JimHagstrom

Agent
Sorry about posting to the wrong forum.

I haven't looked at the Sanyo Z3, but have heard good things about it.

My budget is around $2000 with $2500 about as high as I want to go.

Kin

Agent
There are a few things that we need to know first.

1)How are you mounting the projector (ceiling or on a stand)?
2)How far away are you planning on having the PJ from the screen?
3)How large a screen are you shooting for?
4)Will you have control over ambient light in your HT room?
5)Is 2-2500 as much as you want to spend including a screen?

[email protected]
1(888)286-5353 Ext522

JimHagstrom

Agent
1. I can mount the projecto either on the ceiling or the back wall.

2. I will mount the project at whatever distance will give me a big enough screen and still retain quality.

3. I'd really like to shoot for something around 105" diag

4. I will have total control over the lighting as this room will only be for movies and such.

5. I was only planing on the projector for this price.

BTW. my room is 15'2" long and 14'3" wide. Also, at the back wall there is a cut out starting at the half way point that gives me an additional ~2feet.

Thanks for the responce Kin

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Have you read anything over at Projectorcentral yet?

Lots of good info over there. I have read great things about both the Panny 700 and Sony and Sanyo. All a preference on what you want/need out of it.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
are you against DLP?? all those you listed are LCD's, also there are alot of new models coming out in the next few months so keep your eyes open for the new stuff, but out of the ones you listed I would go for the AE700

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
You can get the BenQ PE7800 generally runs about the same as the AE700, I debated on these two for a while but decided on the BenQ because its DLP

Kin

Agent
Sounds to me like the AE700U would work great for you. You can get your desired 106" screen from 10.7-21 feet away.

I personally like the AE700U out of the projectors you mentioned.

Travis_R is right. You can get the BenQ for around the same price as the AE700U. The main difference will be that the 7800 uses the matterhorn chip. This gives you a resolution of 1024 x 576, where the AE700U has a native resolution of 1280 x 720.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
The AE700 has cropping issues with hdmi which is a deal breaker for many inclulding myself. This is terrible in my opinion. The Z3 is the better option in my opinion, if only for this reason.

Brad E

Second Unit

The cropping issues are only a problem when using an htpc via hdmi. And this problem is easily fixed.
This has been discussed extensively on the avs forum for those interested.

merv

Auditioning
jim, I have the sony hs51 projecting on a 92" firehawk screen, the pic is incredible, I chose the sony over the new Sharp 2000, reasons for this is mostly contrast, the sony is just incredible on dark scenes, also i am a little to sensitive to the rainbow of dlp. You can always see SD on the sony if you look for it, but it is rearly noticable, I watched I Robot last night and Star Wars II the night before, these are two great movies to use in comparing projectors. I can not belive the pq this projector can produce, I can not recomend it enough. Street price is coming down as well. Good luck.

merv

Auditioning
jim, I have the sony hs51 projecting on a 92" fire-hawk screen, the pic is incredible, I chose the sony over the new Sharp 2000, reasons for this is mostly contrast, the sony is just incredible on dark scenes, also i am a little to sensitive to the rainbow of dlp. You can always see SD on the sony if you look for it, but it is rarely noticeable, I watched I Robot last night and Star Wars II the night before, these are two great movies to use in comparing projectors. I can not believe the pq this projector can produce, I can not recommend it enough. Street price is coming down as well. Good luck. Sorry about the double post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks