What's new

Which projector screen would you decide on if you had to pick out of these 2? (1 Viewer)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Looking at the two choices you have given -- and have a few questions
  • Both of these are portable/pop up screens -- how are you going to be using them?
    • Do you have a light controlled dedicated room?
    • Do you have a surround system to go with the projector/screen?
    • How are you planning on using your projector/screen system?
I see that just looking at the two choices - what has a 1.3 gain and one is 1.1 gain. I believe that the higher gain screen will make the image a little brighter but may effect the dark areas of the picture. If you need more light output based on your setup - then the higher gain would be a plus....

You also didn't mention your throw distance to the screens for your projector...

Looked it up, and for a 100" screen, you have to be 2.5 meters away to fill up the screen... so you setup/room must be able to be big enough to make that happen...

1668447793478.png

1668447587377.png

1668447661142.png

Projector Screen Material: MAXWHITE 2 (matte white) 1.1 Gain FRONT projection material. Wide viewing angle allows viewers to see a clear picture with equal brightness over a full 180° angle. Active 3D, 4K/8K Ultra HD, and HDR ready!

CineWhite® UHD-B is a 1.3 gain, tensioned matte white front projection material

FYI - proctor links I used for above:

Attachments

• 1668447784406.png
    1668447784406.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 37

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Yes I have a light controlled room

No I use headphones

Movies and tv shows

8 to 9 feet throw distance

ng4ever

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I guess my main question is does a tab tension screen make a difference for a non short throw or ultra short throw projector like a BenQ HT3550 ? I know for short throw projectors it makes a huge difference.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Looking at the comments from the Amazon screen -- from someone who has one..

"I would not recommend this screen if you have a short throw projector (mine is a Optoma GT1090HDR). Definitely DO NOT BUY if you have an ultra short throw. The screen is simply not flat enough for ultra short throw. It would require a higher tension string, especially near the top. Or maybe they could have a taller black area at the top."

Don't think it will be such a big deal for a "normal" projector...but your 8 to 9 feet throw distance should work for either one. If you do have a light control room, I would go with the 1.1 gain system - no need to add additional brightness if you don't need it...

I would go with this one:

Projector Screen Material: MAXWHITE 2 (matte white) 1.1 Gain FRONT projection material. Wide viewing angle allows viewers to see a clear picture with equal brightness over a full 180° angle. Active 3D, 4K/8K Ultra HD, and HDR ready!

As always -- this is just my suggestion, and you can wait for others to chime in - maybe someone who has a similar setup. I have a projector in a light controlled room - but I use a fixed screen that I installed on the wall - so I don't have a portable one...

Link to a picture of my budget room/setup: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/media/dscn2708-jpg.2848/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks