What's new

Which LD player to choose? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Sherman

Auditioning
I am looking to pick up my first LD player (to watch the Star Wars trilogy, natch). A local pawnbroker has two units in his store, a Kenwood LVD-320 @ $69.99 and an RCA LDR-400 @ $79.99. Assuming both units work properly, can anyone advise me as to which would be the better value? I have read in other threads that the RCA units were Pioneer clones; does anyone know which Pioneer unit this one is cloned from?

On a side note, a local thrift shop has a Tandy/Realistic MD-1000 for $28. The drawer works and it had a disc in it but wasn't connected to a TV, but the clerk hit the "play" button and it started counting. Should I even bother with this unit?

TIA,
Steve

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Stephen, discount the Realistic. It's reputed to be one of the worst players ever for breakdowns and pic quality. Between the other two I'd take a disc and ask to play them both and see. I'd look for wear and finger oils on the buttons and see if one looks less used. Do either, or both have an optical output? That would be a plus. Both players will likely have very average pic quality, proably. I've never seen a Kenwood player in the flesh. They didn't sell many. I've seen plenty of RCA's and they're all very average but LD average is pretty good. Best wishes!

Stephen Sherman

Auditioning
Thanks for the input! Hopefully the store will let me try them both out first, or offer some kind of brief return policy.

Best,
Steve

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
The Kenwood LVD-320 most definately has an optical out, in addition to a S-video jack. Single-sided play, jog/shuttle on the remote. Picture quality is serviceable, and I've never had a problem with my 10 year old unit, though it was never put to major use through its career, and it's now been retired to make way for a very sweet Pioneer CLD-704.
Cheers,

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks