Question on a Kenwood LD player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Pfann, Jun 7, 2002.

1. James Pfann

James Pfann Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to add a Laserdisc player to my ht and I found a Kenwood LVD-820R for $50 at a local shop. The unit looks to be in great shape and I was assured it works fine. It has S-video, Composite Video, and a tos-link for Digital audio out. Has anyone ever owned/used one of these units? Any comments on it?

Thanks for your time. Jim

2. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

James, I've had a Kenwood LD player (LVD-320) for ten years now, and 'tho it never received what I'd call heavy use, it's never let me down. The laserdisc player archive site (click here) has only a picture of the player you're considering, but for only $50, you can't really go wrong, assuming mechanical fitness, right? I, and many others, can assure you that the sound produced by the PCM track on many discs (output via the optical connection) can be quite spectacular (the same optical output will also pass a DTS signal). Alternatives are to check the Hardware For Sale board here, or E-Bay, for a Pioneer player. The price will likely be higher, but you may be able to find a machine that will perform the auto-flip, and output an RF digital signal, for which you'd require an outboard RF demodulator. Best of luck, sir, and cheers!
    DS.

3. James Pfann

Thanks for the imput Dave.

When you say, require an RF demodulator, would that be for the pioneer units or would I need one for this unit that already has an optical output?

Sorry for the questions, I'm still learning the Laserdisc stuff.

Thanks, Jim.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. James Pfann

Thanks Michael, I should have searched a little harder.

:b

Jim