Which free LD player should I choose?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin Robinson, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Kevin Robinson

I haven't used a LD player in a few years. Mine finally died, but I still haven't gotten rid of some of my prized laserdisc gems (Tex Avery box, val Lewton collection, etc). A friend of mine is getting rid of his lasers and will give me -for free- one of his two players. Knowing I already have acollection and am a film nut, he's letting me have first choice and will be giving his other player and remaining discs to his sister-in-law who could really care less.
    So- the two to choose from are the Sony MDP-600 and the Pioneer CLD-S201. I know neither of these are premium players, but therein lies the problem. The Sony has dual-sided play and would seem to be the no-brainer, but I remember back in the day that Sony wasn't really high;y regarded for their LD machines. I use to use a Pioneer myself and was always pretty happy with it.
    Any opinions on one or both of these players? I know we're not talking about classic players here, but I'd like the best picture/sound/build quality out of the two. As I don't see myself investing in another player, this is likely the machine my laserdisc collection will live with.
    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Well, I have had an S201 for 10 years, and it is still going strong. Never had any problems, and the video quality is pretty good, though not up to my D704.

Didn't the MDP-600 have problems with the door mechanism sticking/jamming? Maybe that was the 500... not sure.

Since repair work on LD players is kind of hard to come by, I would probably go for the Pioneer just to hedge my bets against problems.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kevin, take the Pioneer. It will beat the flimsy Sony's pic if it's stille up to spec's. Come to think of it, even if it isn't quite up to spec's anymore, it will stille proably beat the Sony. All Sony LD players have a noisey pic and at best 47 db video s/n. The Pioneer should do 48 db or a touch more if it's a "lucky" player that got calibrated extra-well.

Walk, don't run, well, do run away from the Sony. Pioneer stille suppourts their LD products too. ibid, to the previous comment about Sony's flimsy drawers too!! I had one, a 333, been there, done that, mine was extra lemon fresh! The main board went out at age 13 months and it dug a ditch in an X-Files LD. Trash! Stick with Pioneer! Best wishes from Laserland!

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I concur. Pioneer is the way to go.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I concur. Pioneer is the way to go.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Yep... Pioneer.

7. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Another [​IMG] for Pioneer.

They were the first-est with the most-est in laserdisc.

8. David Massey

David Massey Agent

I have a Pioneer and a Sony both and agree with everyone else, the Sony is garbage.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have the Sony 600 as my 3rd back up and it's not as bad as the horror stories (or I just lucked out maybe). It can be a pain to turn on but then its not to bad.

I say give him a few bucks and get both

10. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

The S201 is a newer machine... the bottom of the line the D704 was top of, I think. The machine is liable to have a good deal more kick left in it than that Sony. The sticking door is exactly true, I was in a pawn shop once where they had one of these things, I wnted the man to demonstrate it, and it opened partway and then jammed. NO SALE! Talk about a bad unit.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Christoper, back when the CLD-S201 was out, the top regular-line Pioneer was the CLD-D701. The 701 ain't nearly as good as the 703 & 704 that came later. Oh, there was a 702 in there too...[​IMG]

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would also give take the Pioneer [​IMG]