What's new
World Wide Stereo

Which HT Pre/Pro for MUSIC under $2k (1 Viewer)

RussAmras

Auditioning
Hi folks-
Been reading these posts for a while and this is my first post.
I'm looking for a pre-amp/processor for my home theater setup that will excel in music as much if not more then movies. I currently have a Denon 3803 with Rotel amps. The 3803 is great for HT, amazingly flexable, and packed with features---but it is not audiohile quality when it comes to music. The rotel amps have helped but I'm ready to take a step up in music quality.

What is the best pre/pro under 2k for music??

I've been looking at Rotel 1066 and Outlaw 950- but I've heard mixed reviews about their 2 channel performance. I REALLY want to see a big improvment over the 3803.

THANKS!!!
Russ

728x90

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Why not buy a 2 channel tube preamp instead and keep your Denon around for HT? At 2k you are asking for a compromise IMHO.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
From what I have read in posts your best bet would be to maybe try the Rotel. From many posts the 950 just doesn't seem to satisfy the ones looking for a good 2 channel music player.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
if you don't have a problem buying used, i strongly suggest you look into the aragon soundstage. they can typically be found in the $1300-$1500 range on audiogon. i love the way two channel sounds through this pre-pro.

kevin t

gregD

Second Unit
Hang on to your Denon.

The Rotel and Aragon are great HT pre-pros with very good preamp sections, but the big improvement you seek in 2-ch music will likely be better realized by adding an outboard stereo preamp, as suggested above.

These are not the only choices, but for under $2k, audition Rogue or Cary for tubes, as well as Adcom or Aragon for solid state.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Russ,

We should all be sure about your audio source(s) and how you plan on using them. A few of the suggestions assume that you'll be using your CD player's analog outputs (or an external DAC). If you plan on using its digital output, then a supplemental 2 channel pre-amp won't suffice (and you'll be challenged on this decision :) ). So, what CDP do you have and will you be using its analog output? [If you have a turntable, never mind.]

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks