Which HT Pre/Pro for MUSIC under $2k

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RussAmras, Jul 3, 2003.

1. RussAmras

RussAmras Auditioning

Hi folks-
    Been reading these posts for a while and this is my first post.
    I'm looking for a pre-amp/processor for my home theater setup that will excel in music as much if not more then movies. I currently have a Denon 3803 with Rotel amps. The 3803 is great for HT, amazingly flexable, and packed with features---but it is not audiohile quality when it comes to music. The rotel amps have helped but I'm ready to take a step up in music quality.

What is the best pre/pro under 2k for music??

I've been looking at Rotel 1066 and Outlaw 950- but I've heard mixed reviews about their 2 channel performance. I REALLY want to see a big improvment over the 3803.

THANKS!!!
    Russ

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Why not buy a 2 channel tube preamp instead and keep your Denon around for HT? At 2k you are asking for a compromise IMHO.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

From what I have read in posts your best bet would be to maybe try the Rotel. From many posts the 950 just doesn't seem to satisfy the ones looking for a good 2 channel music player.

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

if you don't have a problem buying used, i strongly suggest you look into the aragon soundstage. they can typically be found in the $1300-$1500 range on audiogon. i love the way two channel sounds through this pre-pro.

kevin t

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Hang on to your Denon.

The Rotel and Aragon are great HT pre-pros with very good preamp sections, but the big improvement you seek in 2-ch music will likely be better realized by adding an outboard stereo preamp, as suggested above.

These are not the only choices, but for under $2k, audition Rogue or Cary for tubes, as well as Adcom or Aragon for solid state.

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Russ,

We should all be sure about your audio source(s) and how you plan on using them. A few of the suggestions assume that you'll be using your CD player's analog outputs (or an external DAC). If you plan on using its digital output, then a supplemental 2 channel pre-amp won't suffice (and you'll be challenged on this decision [​IMG] ). So, what CDP do you have and will you be using its analog output? [If you have a turntable, never mind.]

Doug