What's new

Which DVDs to show off surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Which DVDs are good to show off surround speakers? IOW, what has a lot of surround info? I've seen many great suggestions for showing off subwoofers, but don't see any ideas for surrounds. Thanks.

John Simon

Second Unit
IMO, the opening sequence in Air Force One is one of the best examples of surround sound. As the special forces swarm the building, you can actually hear them running around you. All my friends have been most impressed with that DVD.

Also, The Phantom Menace is a great example. Scenes like the pod race show off almost every aspect of a surround sound system.

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Dragonheart when the dragon is flying around Dennis Quaid. You actually hear him flying around you as he's moving around Quaid.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a while, but I seem to recall Rules of Engagement having a great use of surrounds. Outside the courtroom scenes, of course.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Evil Dead 2. The part where Henrietta's Husband comes and tells them how to defeat the evil.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I agree with those already mentioned. I might add "The Exorcist:The version you have never seen" to this. The Dolby Digital EX track puts the rears to some neat use. Personally, I still think that so much more could be done with the surround effect...it seems really wasted in a lot of movies.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There are so many.
I like A Bug's Life not only due to active split surrounds but panning of voices in surround speakers.
Others worthy of mention include...
- The Fifth Element
- Armageddon
- Star Wars: Ep I
- Titan AE
- Titanic (great use of ambient surround also)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
In terms of sheer visceral impact, nothing beats Saving Private Ryan, in my opinion. I mean, the whizzing bullets zinging all around the viewer can have him or her ducking. One of the most sonically satisfying DVDs out there.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Saving Private Ryan, and IMO The Fast and the Furious. Specifically on Fast and The Furious in the first race you hear music and talking coming from both rear speakers. Pretty cool IMO.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Try Courage Under Fire. Most of the battle scenes, especially around the downed chopper, have very active surrounds.
A great single show-off scene is scene 25 in The Fugitive. The movements and foot steps of the officers upstairs come from both the front and back speakers, and is really convincing.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Frighteners

The Bone Collector

U-571

The Mummy (1999)

Sleepy Hollow

Rules of Engagement

Face/Off

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks