What's new

Which DVD/VCR combo player to buy? (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I recently just purchased a Sony SLV-D350P DVD/VCR combo player. I am using it to replace a Sony stand alone VCR player and viewing it on my 27" Sony set which is several years old. I am connecting the player using composite RCA cables. Excluding the progressive scan feature that I will use down the line.

Right off the bat I noticed that the black level of the player was much darker to what I had calibrated it to with my previous player. I tryed poping the VE disc back in and recalibrating but the brightness was white when I switched back over to VCR mode. So I just went back to original settings of brightness and turned black level mode on in the menu of the sony SLV-D350, which I don't know if that was the right thing to do, but it looks better.
I also noticed that the remote button layout is difficult to get use to and I find myself looking for fast fwd and subtitles in the dark.

When changing chapters and menus there is a slight delay which is not what I am used to. I guess some players are quicker then others. Such as viewing movies on X-box.
I have read reviews on this model that there might be problems with viewing some disc format movies on the player and it will show some type of Ch-13 error? You will not be able to play the movie again. What does this mean that I have to take it in for service?

I am contiplating models

Toshiba SD-V392
Panasonic PV-D4744S
Samsung DVD-V4600

I purchased the Sony SLV-350 because it supports more disc formats such DVD-R and +R VCD which I might buy a burner and burn home movies onto DVD. It might not be a draw back because the other models do support DVD-R discs so I will always have to always get DVD-R discs.

The salesman told me that the samsungs have been getting alot of returns, is it that they break or do people not know how to hook it up?
I have the Panasonic RP-91 player and would buy another one but I tried the sony thinking it was the best.

Bottom line: I want a relible player with a good remote button layout and smooth fast fwd and rwd. I would like to hear about peoples experiances with all four.

Thank you
Jonathon

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there.

I've been contemplating replacing my 12 year old JVC VCR with either the Sony D550P or JVC HRXV544U - I was originally considering the Sony D350P but haven't read very favorable reviews.

Can someone recommend a reliable quality combination machine?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I service these things. There are no acceptable ones that I have seen (let alone good ones). Internally they all seem to come from the same vendors. Nothing in the Sony looks like any VCR or DVD that they ever sold as a separate unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks