What's new

Which DVD for FP calibration? (1 Viewer)

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
Which of the current DVD's is the best for calibrating and digital FP, an X1 to be exact?
I have Digital Video Essentials and while some of the test they have do help, I get the feeling that a disc geared more towards FP instead of tubes would be more helpful.

I also know that some new disc are on the horizon. What's the scoop on these? Release dates etc...

Is there a better and/or cheaper way for me to do a proper calibrate? I don't really want get it ISF calibrated, not because I don't think it would be worth the money but because I'm such a tweaker / DIYer :)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Is this DVHS tape even available yet? Digital Video Essentials? How can you have it when no one else even sells it yet? :)

regards

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
How can yo have it when no one else even sells it yet?
I downloaded it off usenet - j/k

Maybe I have the name wrong - maybe it's just "Video Essentials" - a calibration dvd that is probably 4-5 years old. It also does the audio setup.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Cool. ha ha ha

Now as for the discs ... AVIA or VE or S/V will all be fine for FPTV. The test patterns are the same. Brightness is brightness ... etc.

What changes from a professional stand point is the equipment that might be needed for the FPTV DLP / LCD display types versus other types.

You won't be able to properly do grayscale unless you have the proper equipment to do so.

Regards

C

Chris*Liberti

If you want to calibrate a front projector I would say for now use Avia for geometry and the color decoder adjustment and use Video Essentials for greyscale. (Avia has a problem where some light bled onto the plates and they are not accurate if you do use Avia make sure to only have the Y connection from the DVD player connected). Then wait for Digital Video Essentials on DVHS. Depending on projector get either the 720p the 1080i or 1080p version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks