What's new

Considering FP -- Questions (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Had been considering an RPTV purchase maybe a year down the road. I've been seeing a lot of buzz about the new "less expensive" front projectors on sites like Projector People. They make some of the new under $3K projectors sound pretty tempting when compared to RPTVs in the same price range. Two friends of mine have recently purchased entry level RPTVs; a 46" Sony and a 42" Samsung. I have to admit after helping each guy with setup, I was not very impressed with their pictures, even from a progressive scan player. I think that the picture on my 36" Tosh from a 4 year old Tosh DVD interlaced player is superior in sharpness. Maybe I don't know what to look for. Anyway, I have been drooling over the thought of having a 65" WS in the family room, but after seeing the aforementioned setups I have been backing away from that. Started thinking about 57s. I have a viewing distance of about 12 feet, which should be negotiable a foot or so either way. Then I started doing some projector research for the church I go to and I start reading all of these things about these amazing projectors for under $5K and these great projectors for under $3K and good projectors for under $2K. Is this for real? The thought of a decent quality FP is very appealing (stupid point I realize)!! It would be nice to keep the 36" Tosh right where it is and put a pull-down screen on the ceiling for critical viewing and let the Tosh do the rest. My questions are as follows:

1. Can you really get a great projector for under $3K? Seems to me all the really good projectors in the magazines cost more than $10K and many much more than that.

2. Will these under $3K machines actually produce an HD image (assuming I ever get access to HD)? If so at what resolution, 1080I, 720P or something else?

3. I don't see much on connection setup on these sites. My goal would be to set the projector up as a ceiling mount in the kid's playroom behind the family room through a hole I would make in the wall to project through (assuming my wife would let me do that you understand). That would put the lens of the projector about 15 feet from the proposed screen location. The big question is: what type and how long of a cable can you get to do this? I would only need the cable for the video as I would never consider using the projector's speaker instead of my sound system. My problem is that all of my electronics including Sat receiver and DVD & 5.1 receiver are in a hall closet in front of the room and all of my connections are snaked through the wall and I use a Niles IR repeater. That would put the video sources about 20 feet as the crow flies from the proposed projector location. Assuming snaking through the basement back up to the projector could make the run close to 40 feet. Is that uncommon?

4. What about light output? My room is pretty light controlled at night when I do most of my critical viewing (probably not as critical a viewer as some of you guys, but you know what I mean), but not so in the daytime as the opposite side of the family room has double french doors with no shades. I guess my real question is does it have to be absolutely pitch black in the room to enjoy a FP?

5. How much of a concern is "the screen door effect" and the "rainbow effect"? Most of what you read says that it depends on how sensitive you are to it. Well how do I know that until I've seen it. And how do I know that I won't notice it right away, but after I settle in with a machine I start noticing it and it drives me nuts? What have your experiences been?

6. What about calibration? Is there much to calibrate on an LCD or DLP FP? Also wchich makes more sense, DLP or LCD?

I know I am asking a lot here, but I also know that there are people here that know these things. So that's why I'm asking. Appreciate the help as always.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You have come to the right place David. There are many people that can help you with your questions. I will attempt to answer most of your questions...

1. First off, there are many great contenders in the

JasonGarrett

Agent
1) Yes.

2) There are many projectors in that price range that will display a 1080i signal, but none of them have 1080 lines of resolution so the picture will be scaled down. Some (like the Sony HS10) can display 720p natively.

3) I don't know if it's common, but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you use decent shielded cables.

4) The room does not need to be pitch black. I watch sports with the lights on, but you'll want the room to be pretty dark for movies. Direct sunlight on the screen will totally wash out the picture.

5) I bought the Sony HS10, and the resolution is high enough that screen door is no problem for me. I sit 12-13' from a 106" diagonal image. I have not seen a DLP projector so I don't know about the rainbows, but I didn't really want to risk giving my friends and family headaches during movies.

6) There is a LOT to calibrate. Neither technology makes more sense than the other... they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

You should definitely spend some time reading the articles and reviews at projectorcentral.com and the digital projector forums at avsforum.com.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Wow Neil & Jason!! I drone on in this long post and not only do you guys answer, but you are enthusiastic and informative!! I have done a lot of the suggested reading and plan to do a lot more by the time I'm able to purchase.

Two quick follow-ups if I may.

1) Neil, by F-RCA I assume you mean female RCA, forgive my ignorance.

2) How much further up the food chain do you have to go to get a projector that does true 1080I? What price range? And is this a more cost effective option than an RPTV or is it just the ability to get a big picture?

Thanks again guys, keep up the good and helpful work.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What I mean is an adaptor that changes F-style (TV coaxial cable) to RCA. They are available at HOme Depot, Radio Shack and many othe places.

I did a search on projector central for projectors that were at least 1920x1080 and this is what it pulled up...

Lasergraphics LG2001
JVC DLA-QX1G

Both are expensive and neither one is really ideal for HT use if you ask me. It will be a little while before you get ones that are "true" HD and moderately priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks