What's new

Which DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete DVD's do you own? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
DD-EX works with or without the flag. and P-DVD isn't always consistent in detecting those flags. either way star wars 1-6 on DVD right now are all DD-EX 6.1. the 6th channel is an analog matrix of the two rear channel anyways... (though i never got an answer whether it is full rnage or limited like DPL's of days of old) unlike the discrete nature of the DTS-ES 6.1

and to those that own DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete for low-budget film (like evil dead), does 6.1 really help? i can see 6.1 discrete for titanic, LOTR, etc. but does it really help low-budget film that started out w/mono? a lot of the DTS-ES 6.1 discrete titles are older, smaller budget titles that i fear won't benefit much from such a great format. am i correct? i don't think i have any of those titles like suspira.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Will

I didn’t know the old Vitaphone had a new makeover, 1927 Al Jolson, The Jazz Singer, “You haven’t heard anything yet”!

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Andy,

Now that would be amazing!

In fact, I was watching the 1980 Neil Diamond/Lawrence Olivier remake (the Anchor Bay 25th Anniversary edition). Cheesy, but great!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I don't have a 6.1 setup because my couch is right up against the wall leaving no room for a seventh channel. But from a 5.1 setup, I'd say things like "Hills Have Eyes" and "Evi Dead" don't benefit from the extra channels. It may be that I'm very used to the mono presentations of these films from LD, but I don't think the stereo imaging is very effective or vital. Both of these films were cleaned up too much in my opinion. The shabbiness of the picture and sound always lent itself to that old grindhouse feeling that actually makes them scarier. Sometimes, "dirty" is better.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Again, for the record, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 has a discrete, separate back channel. DTS-ES matrix and Dolby Digital EX have a matrixed back channel derived from the solid in-phase material in both left and right surround channels.

Discrete channels are 100% better. Hopefully, some pioneering studio will get off its arse and release real 8 channel discrete mixes soon in high resolution lossless!

I have quite a few DTS-ES Discrete titles, but the most affective 6.1 discrete mixes I've heard are The Haunting (below 20 Hz bass in all channels!!), Top Gun, and The Final Countdown. Tied for second are The Lord of the Rings Extended Cuts. Coming in third is Gladiator.

Dan

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
dan, do you know if the matrixed rear center channel is full range? i've never gotten a proper answer on it yet. meaning 20hz-20kHz? i know the 6.1 Discrete is.

in Revenge of the Sith in the opening space battle as ob1 and ani swerve through an explosion, the fireball leapfrogs into the rear center channel. that was pretty effective use of the DD-EX.

but so far, i haven't found any specific scenes that benefit a whole lot from having a rear center channel of dts 6.1 Discrete.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure of the mixing parameters and decoding parameters of DTS-ES matrix. I'd think that if the sounds coming out of the left and right surround were full range then the back channel would be as it's just a summing of mono in-phase material from the stereo surround channels.

You should listen to The Haunting, The Final Countdown, and Top Gun DTS-ES Discrete tracks to experience the benefit of discrete, full range channels. They're much more precise. I haven't heard the 6.1 remix of Titantic, but if it's from the same team that remixed Top Gun then it should be a hoot!

Dan

Sten F

Second Unit
Interesting take you got there.

However, I have never experienced a "fake" DTS. Not sure this exists att all. On the other hand, bootlegs from Asia tend to do what you suggest. Not the Original/Authentic DVD´s from Asia. I assume one have to have some very expensive sound gear to detect an original DVD with "fake" DTS made from the Dolby Digital soundtrack. How can you tell?

All the R3 DTS DVD´s I own sound really great. Well, of course, if it´s a dialouge driven movie the DTS(-ES) track are not that obvious versus an action driven one. I also own a bunch a R1 DTS (-ES) DVD´s, and on some of them the DTS seem really redundant as they have no effect whatsoever.

It troubles me why some less sound-oriented movies gets a DTS track. Whereas, many action and sound-driven movies that really calls for a DTS track don´t get any.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
dan,

i'm assuming that the matrixed rear center is lopped off @under 120hz or higher because that's what the rear channels were back in the Dolby Pro Logic days remember? i'd assume DD-EX does the same.

sten,
trust me. when you start seeing the tracking artifacts of VHS tapes on your copy or a DVD movie, you know it's a direct dupe of VHS->DVD.

it isn't a "take" at all. just head to chinatown (or ebay) and pickup a few r3's. let me know what you think =).

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

No way! Even DD-EX has a FULL-RANGE center surround. Even if the rear surround matrix was done with a old, pro-logic decoder the center will still be full range. It was the non-discrete surrounds in prologic that were not so full range.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
is that a confirmation or just assumption? any weblinks to support this? i haven't been able to confirm it on dolby.com.

by your logic, DTS-ES 6.1 matrix would be the same?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Yeah. Solid fact. Dolby D EX, Dts-es both have full range center surrounds. They just aren't discrete channels. They are matrixed. Dts-es uses a slightly different matrix algorithm but similar. If you watched DD and DTS (non 6.1) with a prologic decoder matrixing your center surround it will be full range unless specified by your decoders.

wally

Second Unit
I'd have to agree with Dan, Top Gun was the first disc I watched/listened after upgrading to 7.1 and believe it truly makes a difference from the 5.1 DTS experience.

Austin Powers in Goldmember
The Butterfly Effect
Cast Away
Die Another Day: SE
Gladiator: Signature Selection
Jurassic Park III: CE
LOTR (3)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Black Pearl
Punch Drunk Love: SE
Seven
Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Top Gun
Unbreakable

That carrier deck is a dangerous place, keep the head on a swivel!!!

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Wally - this is a list for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 not just any dts-es track.

Cast Away
Die Another Day: SE - thought this was just ES not 6.1
Pirates of the Caribbean: Black Pearl
Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition
Unbreakable

These are DTS tracks with some ES content but none of which are 6.1 discrete.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
thanks Tony. my link had the same info, but not the matrixed.

do you folx think this is the "end of life" for DTS-ES 6.1 discrete? there's more matrix than discrete.

also, DTS-HD is coming.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Wally and I have nearly the same....

Austin Powers in Goldmember
Cast Away
Gladiator
LOTR: FOTR EE
LOTR: TTT EE
LOTR: ROTK EE
Terminator 2

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
of your list, only goldmember, gladiator, LOTR:EE trilogy are discrete titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks