which bookshelf speakers offer the biggest sound for around $100

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JesseBro, Jan 27, 2004.

1. JesseBro

JesseBro Stunt Coordinator

Aug 4, 2003
    as the title states... im looking to purchase 2 new bookshelf speakers for the front of my surround sound....now i listen to a lot of music as well as a lot of home theater... im looking to spend around $100 (which isnt much i know and i will buy used as well) but im looking for something with a very full sound that can also handle some bass as i cant afford a sub just yet.... im using a yamaha rxv440 if that makes any difference

thanks for the help, and i dont like the sound of klipsch or any horn tweeter for that matter
  2. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Mar 9, 2001
    I've been quite happy with these BICs for five years now.

I think they do a good job as far as a $100 (buy.com has the v62si for $116 a pair) bookshelf speaker. Obviously they sound a lot better with a SVS around [​IMG]
  3. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

Apr 8, 2002
    No doubt about it... Omage AV21's are the best speakers out there for that kind of money. There are several threads at audiogon & avsforum about them, and here's one on how to make them sound even better for little or no extra money:

Supposedly the new ones now incorporate most of these tweaks.

Here are some pictures from my gallery on avsforum:

The only place I know of that sells them in the states can be found by searching google for 'omage loudspeakers'. I bought mine from a shop in canada, but since these things have started selling they upped their price by 40%.

4. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Oct 25, 2003
    For about $149, you can get Athena AS-B1's, new. I gather that you could grab them used for $100. Probably the most highly recommended bookshelf speakers for their price.

ht tp://ww w.soundstage.com/revequip/athena_asb1.htm

ht tp://ww w.athenaspeakers.com/

(Just remove the spaces between the http and www)

I'm currently using them as temporary surrounds as I save money for my complete PSB Stratus system(minus sub), and while I originally had pegged the stratus mini's as my next buy at $1100, I'm now content enough with the performance of the Athenas to instead grab my center, sub and receiver, leaving the mini's for last. That's saying something. btw, if I don't decide to hold on the these speakers, as I just may since they peform so well for the price, I would look to unload them for a C-note, so I would imagine a few other folks in simlar positions might be looking to unload them in your hands today.

Oh, and you can easily enough audition the Athena's, albeit in a horrible environment, at BestBuy, as they carry the Athena line in store.

I wish you luck.