What's new

Which aspect ratio to buy? (1 Viewer)

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
Just to confuse the issue, I beleive Boogie Nights & U571 were released 2:35 in region 1 but cropped to 1:85 in region 2, go figure ?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Just to add more fuel to this. I was at Futureshop the other day and they had two different versions of Castaway. One was 1.85:1 and the other was 2.35:1. I think the 2.35:1 version was a two disc SE.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
That's correct, the original 2-disc release of Cast Away had a misprint on the box. It should be 1.85:1.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I know 1.78:1 isn't either ratio

It's got its roots in Buddism. The "golden ratio" of the 2 is 1.78:1

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the Greek "Golden Ratio" was 1.66:1?

But I'm probably misinformed.

Anyway, Just out of curiosity, what are some movies that have an OAR of 1.78:1? Just for checking-out when I get my new 16x9 tv?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
16:9 is a good compromise between 1.33:1 and the widescreen ratios. If they built TVs at 2.35:1 everything except 'scope films would have to be windowboxed.

I've also read that from an engineering standpoint, when working out the widescreen format, it was simpler to take 4:3 and multiply the width by four and the height by three to come up with the new format. Tweaking it to hit 1.85:1 exactly would have been pointless, if not impossible. Overscan would likely make it impossible to see the difference anyway. Same reason that current TVs are 1.33:1 instead of exactly 1.37:1. In designing and mass-producing early cathode ray tubes it was easier to make the display 1.33:1 than to hit 1.37:1 on the nose, and that was deemed "close enough"

Given that the material we watch is going to range in aspect ratio from 1.33:1 to 2.60:1 or thereabouts, there is no single shape that is going to be "ideal" for all of it. Certainly 1.78:1 is a better choice than 1.33:1 for widescreen material, and it is probably a better compromise than a wider ratio given that we have nearly 100 years worth of films and over 50 years worth of television shows that were created for a narrower ratio - and which we'll still be watching for the next hundred years, at least.

Regards,

Joe

KlausWinkler

Agent
@JohnB:
To make things even more complicated, only the UK RC2 was cropped (maybe they deleted the parts that were especially offensive to the Brits :))

@Brian:
I think "virtually never" allowed some exceptions anyway, but the point that there is no movie, that is intentionally released in two WS ARs remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks