What's new

Which aspect ratio to buy? (1 Viewer)

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
This is a newbie question as I am just beginning to buy dvds for my collection. I have a 16x9 television.

Example: There are at least two versions of The Matrix on dvd. Both are anamorphic. One is offered in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the other is in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

I know that the 1.85:1 is 16x9. Does this mean that the 1.85:1 ratio dvd will completely fill the screen?

Will the 2.35:1 ratio dvd end up with black bars on my 16x9 monitor?

Which is the better choice, and why?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
There are virtually never 2 different ratio anamorphic presenatations of the same film.

General opinion is the Director shot the film with an intentional viewing ratio and that's the best way to watch it so you're not missing anyhting you should see or seeing anything additional that you shouldn't.

OAR rules!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pick the films by what you like, not what AR they're in.

It's like avoiding Citizen Kane for being mono...there's more to the movies than the viewing technology!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
why can't i delete this post ? grrrr!
Only a few people can. :)
Marshall: Even with your 16:9 display, be prepared to live with black bars--even though they may be smaller. As long as there is no single universal aspect ratio for film itself, there can be no eschewing the black bars on even a widescreen set.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think he's looking at Matrix revisited, which is 1.78:1
as his other version. MR is basically an extras disc

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
This is incorrect. There is only one version of The Matrix available on DVD, in only one aspect ratio. There's only one choice, and it's the correct one.
Damin, according to information I found on dvdempire.com there are two versions of The Matrix and they have the different aspect ratios I discussed above.

Johnny G, I don't know the correct aspect ratio for this movie and the website listed above lists two products with different ratios. What is the correct aspect ratio for the Matrix?

Andy, I didn't get to read your post, but I assume it contained the quote in Jack's post, above. In response, Andy and Jack, let me explain.

I am not seeking to eliminate black bars. I really don't care about them. I just don't understand the reason for the different aspect ratios with the same movie -- and I don't know what the viewing area would be like with either choice. That's the reason for the question.

Jeff, no. The two versions are: 1. The Matrix, and 2. The Matrix Special Edition. The Matrix Revisited is not the movie.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Damin, according to information I found on dvdempire.com there are two versions of The Matrix and they have the different aspect ratios I discussed above.
Jeff, no. The two versions are: 1. The Matrix, and 2. The Matrix Special Edition. The Matrix Revisited is not the movie.
That so-called "special edition" is the regular DVD in a box that contains a soundtrack CD and some other extra items. The AR of that DVD (and every DVD of The Matrix) is 2.35:1. DVDEmpire is wrong.
DJ

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The Matrix Special Edition is just an expensive packaging with other extras like a soundtrack CD, lobby cards, etc.
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...4&item_id=9200
The DVD in the package is identical to the regular edition, and is definitely the ONLY version of the movie on DVD. It is 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, as shown for the regular edition. The video information on the SE saying 1.85:1 is incorrect.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
There are never 2 different ratio anamorphic presenatations of the same film.
I'm sure this is true in most cases, but I do remember hearing of movies that were released anamorphically in the wrong ratio, then being rereleased in the correct ratio. Plus, in the future, we are very likely to see movies that have been cropped from 2.35:1 to fill 16x9 screens.

The bottom line: there is no reason why a studio couldn't do this (release a movie in two different anamorphic ratios), and I'm sure it's not common, but I wouldn't say "never."

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
Plus, in the future, we are very likely to see movies that have been cropped from 2.35:1 to fill 16x9 screens.
Yikes!:eek: 4:3 "fullscreen" is bad enough - can you imagine having to navigate between "fullscreen" 4x3, "fullscreen for widescreen" (cropped for 16x9) and true OAR when shopping for DVD's? :rolleyes
I personally hope this does NOT come to pass. It would create confusion and make the OAR education campaign even more of a challenge against the "no black bars" brigade.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I do remember hearing of movies that were released anamorphically in the wrong ratio
Silverado is an example. Originally released at 1.77:1, it was re-released at the proper aspect ratio of 2.35:1. The original was never recalled, but Columbia Tristar did replace it for those who wanted the fixed one.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I always wondered about that. Is there any logical reason they chose 1.78:1 instead of 1.85:1? They only reason I can possibly think of is that 1.78:1 conveniently equals 16:9, but is that a good enough reason?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
because 1.78:1 is a "golden ratio" compromise between 1.85:1 and 2.35:1

It's a Japanese thing. From what I hear most film people were shooting closer to 2:1

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Marshall, buy whatever version of the Matrix you want, because when it shows up at your door, it will be the one and only correctly framed 2.35:1 aspect ratio. There have been cases of DVDs released in the wrong aspect ratio (every p&s title for example) but this was never the case witht THE MATRIX. Unless for some reason you end up with some random bootleg, you are going to get the right one.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I knew someone would be anal enough to pick me up on that, those instances would not concern Marshall or rather confuse him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks