What's new

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

• Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios

Votes: 114 71.7%

• Total voters

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark-P said:
Here's a comment from Mr. Stevens that I found especially interesting:Notice the word "chose." So apparently some directors and cinematographers did have a choice back then and weren't slaves to studio edicts!
But it was still exhibited then and now as 1.85:1. Theatres just did not have an unlimited number of lens and apature plates on hand. Let alone the ease of changing masking. There is not that much difference between the two ratios as long as the titles can been seen. However a director would not film in 1.37:1 when they know that it will be presented in 1.85:1.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Warner's intial annoucement for GIANT was Warnersuperscope and George Stevens was not fond of the 2.66/2.55 ratio.
That's why he chose 1.66.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Bob Furmanek said:
Warner's intial annoucement for GIANT was Warnersuperscope and George Stevens was not fond of the 2.66/2.55 ratio.
That's why he chose 1.66.
The point I was making is that Stevens chose a ratio different than Warner's house ratio of 1.85.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Warner used 1.66 for their pre-widescreen titles released post-June, 1953, such as Island in the Sky, The Moonlighter, Lion in the Streets, Crime Wave, Thunder over the Plains, The Eddie Cantor Story, etc.

Stevens directed some re-shoots on the Cantor film in mid-August and composed for 1.66 on the new footage.

Occasionally, they composed for 1.75, including Them.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Now that Mr. Stevens has enlightened the public as to his perspective on the aspect ratio controversy regarding "Shane", I strongly suggest that we be reasonably patient and wait for the results of his personally-supervised new image harvest for the blu-ray before making any further pertinent comments regarding it!!!

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
lukejosephchung said:
Now that Mr. Stevens has enlightened the public as to his perspective on the aspect ratio controversy regarding "Shane", I strongly suggest that we be reasonably patient and wait for the results of his personally-supervised new image harvest for the blu-ray before making any further pertinent comments regarding it!!!
Beg pardon. I thought the Blu-ray would feature the 1.37: version only.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Luke, we are not getting his new version, we are getting the 1.37. Only way to see the new wide framing will be for TV showings when the stations don't want to have black bars on the side and order that version from Paramount to show.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Mark-P said:
Which was also personally supervised by Stevens Jr, and is what Luke was referring to.
Precisely my point...BOTH transfers were supervised by Mr. Stevens and should be the final word on this controversy!!! :biggrin:
He also stated DEFINITIVELY in the interview that his father shot and composed "Shane" for Academy Ratio presentation!!!

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Mark-P said:
Which was also personally supervised by Stevens Jr, and is what Luke was referring to.
I get it now. The writing was ambiguous, though ---> "I strongly suggest that we be reasonably patient and wait for the results of his personally-supervised new image harvest for the blu-ray", as if we would see the widescreen version on the Blu-ray.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's great that 'Shane' is going to be released in the ratio it was filmed for .. and the ratio we've always seen on DVD.

BUT while we've had victory here, is there any chance at all that the MGM release on Blu ray of my all-time favourite Western, The Big Country, will be re-released in the correct ratio instead of the horizontally-stretched travesty we've been lumbered with? George Stevens Jnr talks about seeing a stretched screening of 'Shane' where Jack Palance rides a12-foot long horse ... the stocky, bulky bodies in 'The Big Country' disturb me just as much. I believe the studio has admitted a simple transfer error was made .. I'd pay again just to see it done properly!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
lukejosephchung said:
He also stated DEFINITIVELY in the interview that his father shot and composed "Shane" for Academy Ratio presentation!!!
That was never in question. The debate was about to what extent Mr. Stevens participated in the 1.66:1 theatrical presentation, including whether he subsequently preferred the re-framing for the widescreen presentation.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I think if you have some tools like handbrake, that you can fix The Big Country to the correct ratio yourself. I even think it's possible just by remuxing the video file on mkv, all you have to do is change the aspect ratio setting to get it to 2.25:1.

There was no debate re: Shane widescreen presentation, Mr Stevens Jr originaly clearly stated the wider format with adjusted framing (ala The Evil Dead Blu-ray) would have been his father's choice.

Of course no one complained about it for The Evil Dead, since a "full frame" version (actually cropped on the sides and opened up top and bottom) was offered as an extra on the same disc.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
John,

I don't think Stevens Jr. likes Mr. Wells tactics and at his age, he can dislike whomever he pleases and doesn't have to be polite about it.
He can call Jeffrey Wells what the hell he wants (many folks do), and I'm all for venerating age and accomplishments. However, I can't speak for Wells motives, I can only speak for mine, and I'll be damned if wanting to see Shane as originally framed and filmed has anything to do with 'political correctness'.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
He can call Jeffrey Wells what the hell he wants (many folks do), and I'm all for venerating age and accomplishments. However, I can't speak for Wells motives, I can only speak for mine, and I'll be damned if wanting to see Shane as originally framed and filmed has anything to do with 'political correctness'.
I don't know how you can take that as a personal swipe at you as few of us here will ever come up on Mr. Stevens radar. I think that comment was made specifically as a dart at certain individual(s) that he's familiar with and not the general public perse. But, what do I know, as it seems it's very easy to offend anyone with what one says in the media. Hell, it happens here quite often as having a discussion on a board is quite different than having a one on one discussion in person. Much gets lost in translation without personal contact in seeing each other's faces and hearing the tone in our voices.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
He doesn't know me from a hole in the ground; I didn't take it personally, but bristled at the perception of a sweeping generalisation. Still, I hear what you're saying (or see what you're typing...)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
He doesn't know me from a hole in the ground; I didn't take it personally, but bristled at the perception of a sweeping generalisation. Still, I hear what you're saying (or see what you're typing...)
Again, I don't think it was a generalization at any of us, but was targeted for specific individuals. For all we know it might have been meant for Woody Allen. Who knows, but an 81 year old man can get cantankerous with his comments and probably doesn't care if some are offended. I've been accused of being the same way and I have a few years before I approach 81. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I think the poll in this thread shows clearly what the majority wanted - and did not get - thanks to Mr Wells. So the majority who voted on this topic are definitely not being led anywhere by Mr Wells and his attention-seeking antics.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
I think the poll in this thread shows clearly what the majority wanted - and did not get - thanks to Mr Wells. So the majority who voted on this topic are definitely not being led anywhere by Mr Wells and his attention-seeking antics.
In fairness to Mr. Wells, he wanted both versions on the BD just like the majority in this poll thread. However, if only one version was going to be on it then he wanted the OAR version which is 1.37:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks