What's new

Where's "Zapped!" and "Up the Creek"?!? (1 Viewer)

EricDW

Stunt Coordinator
I used to work at MGM. I pushed HARD to get Zappped released on DVD, problem was, MGM had lost the master. I then went on a search to find a 35mm print of the film to see if they could strike a master from that. I found one, but was told that that would not work and that they needed a negative or something.

Since Sony has taken over MGM's output has reduced greatly. Up The Creek was originally on the 2006 release schedule but disapeared when Sony took over with no date scheduled in sight.

My suggestion... flood Sony with email for these two mnovies until they put them out. Maybe they would listen. I miss MGM.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

I remember that search. I was shocked to hear about that circumstance, but I guess it all dates back to when DEG first took over theatrical rights to the old Embassy library, and junked a lot of material because, in their short-sighted logic, they had videotape masters on it all. Still, it's hard to believe that StudioCanal in France has no film elements to provide MGM.

I wonder though, would the termination of the MGM/Canal+ deal be a factor in this? Yes, MGM has the first right to issue a DVD of ZAPPED because they released a VHS of it previously. [For the curious, the terms of the "divorce" were that MGM could do DVDs of any title they already did a VHS on, and Canal+ could shop around all the other Embassy titles; hence so many going to Anchor Bay.] But maybe StudioCanal is holding out on providing materials so that either MGM will pay them or give up so they can take the title elsewhere, much like the standoff between Paramount and Lionsgate over the Republic library. VICE SQUAD is coming from Anchor Bay despite MGM's previous VHS release, so it sounds plausible.

Eric, I feel your pain. I think MGM was the single best major studio in the DVD market for years, with people like you and Greg Carson in the driver's seat. As much as I love the work of Warner Bros. right now, it would not be happening without your initial efforts all that time. I could lecture for hours on everything you folks did right.

And now, with this despicable Sony occupation, the company has gone from first to worst; old masters, no extras, needless double-dipping. :frowning:

If you happen to know Greg's wherabouts, tell him I'd like to buy him a beer sometime. He knows where to find me. :)

walter o

Supporting Actor
Marc

when I spoke with Canal at AFM, they told me they want to license everything to one entity/studio, instead of little here and there, I inquired about the EMMANUELLE titles Anchor Bay dropped, they said they are waiting for Criterion or MGM (!!??) to pick them up! and if they cant find a taker, they told me they are contemplating on starting their OWN DVD label to release titles here, and yes, I believe it was William Lustig who said in a interview that DEG threw a bulk of the material from the Avco Embassy vault, save for ones that the owners of the films that Embassy's rights were to expire who removed before the bankrupcy thing (like STINGRAY, PSYCHIC KILLER, MANITOU, HUMONGOUS, PREMONITION, PHOTOGRAPHER, SCALPEL, etc ).

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
That Vice Squad is coming to DVD is great news. Anytime the phrase over the top is written a picture of Wings Hauser should be next to it. His performance is worth the price of this DVD. Not for the squeemish. Sorry for the off topic post.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just doing my bi-yearly bump to see if anything has been mentioned (anywhere) about either of these two movies?? I really am surprised with all of the crap thats been released. We still haven't gotten either of these movies.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Meatballs just got an SE. So hell, anything is possible. I'll buy Meatballs and I'd buy the other 2 mentioned here if they'd just release them. Zapped! is particularly fun. It was one of the first naughtly flicks I watched on TV when my family got cable in the early 80s. I knew I was in heaven after the credits rolled on that one. *happy tear*

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'm ashamed to say I own the soundtrack LP for Up The Creek (it did have a great title song by Cheap Trick ;) ).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Martin
Just saw on Amazon a February listing from MGM of ZAPPED.

It says full frame.

I was about to announce this myself. Deepdiscount has it listed at full frame AND widescreen.

Oh, read amazon's listing completely.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif
  • Actors: Willie Aames, Curt Ayers, Scott Baio, Ed Bakey, Hilary Beane
  • Format: Color, DVD-Video, Full Screen, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
  • Language: English
  • Region: All Regions
  • Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
  • Number of discs: 1
  • Rating
  • Studio: MGM (Video & DVD)
  • DVD Release Date: February 12, 2008
  • Run Time: 98 minutes
  • Average Customer Review: var reviewHistPing = function() { reviewHistDU.requestUpdate('', '', '', null, null, null, false); }; n2RunThisWhen('lastlibraryloaded', function() { // instantiate a popover object reviewHistoPopObj_B0010AN7XQ = new N2SimplePopover(); reviewHistoPopObj_B0010AN7XQ.initialize( 'reviewHistoPop_B0010AN7XQ', 'reviewHistoPopObj_B0010AN7XQ' ); // register popup feature with the events framework goN2Events.registerFeature( 'reviewHistoPop_B0010AN7XQ', 'reviewHistoPopObj_B0010AN7XQ', 'n2MouseOverHotspot', 'n2MouseOutHotspot' ); reviewHistoPopObj_B0010AN7XQ.locateAt('below', 'r', 0); reviewHistoPopObj_B0010AN7XQ.configureAnimation(nu ll, null, null, null); reviewHistoPopObj_B0010AN7XQ.setCallback('afterSho w', reviewHistPing); }, 'review histo rollover' ); 1 Review

5 star:

(1)
    4 star:

(0)
    3 star:

(0)
    2 star:

(0)
    1 star:

(0)

See all customer reviews...

(1 customer review)
  • ASIN: B0010AN7XQ
  • Amazon.com Sales Rank: #7,453 in DVD (See Bestsellers in DVD)
    (Studios: Improve Your Sales)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Very cool.

Honestly, I haven't seen the movie since the 80's (when I saw it MANY times). But, I plan on watching it again.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought a tape of it after seeing it on comedy central and wanting the uncut version. I'm thinking this DVD will look way better than that crappy VHS.

I just pre-ordered it at deepdiscount. $7.92.

Does anyone know if the music will be intact? There's some great songs...that went nowhere on the charts.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I would assume so.

If MGM can clear LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN (which had BIG songs from U2, the Police, and other major artists still popular today), this shouldn't be a problem.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You're right. I should've been joking about that but I wasn't.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

The songs I remember off hand were...
"Got to Believe in Magic"
"King and Queen of Hearts"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks