What's new

Where's "West Side Story"? (1 Viewer)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Having only been into collecting DVDs for less than two years, I've been working hard at replacing many of my favorite VHS titles. Recently, I went to buy the movie "West Side Story" and nobody has it anymore. I always figured it was a catalog title that would always be around.
Does anybody know if it's been pulled in anticipation a new addition? If that's the case, I don't remember hearing about it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I think I did read on a West Side Story fan site that MGM is working on a special edition. DVD Box Office shows it in stock, but that's the only one. Hopefully they'll fix the omitted "Jet whistle" at the end of the "Tonight" group version -- right when the screen turns red and the camera pulls back from the chain-link fence, there's supposed to be a Jet whistle there.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This title, previously released by MGM back in '98, is very definately out-of-print.

I *believe* this is one of the titles MGM no longer has the rights to, and those have shifted to WB. Like Brainstorm, Westworld, Wizard of Oz, Singin' In The Rain, etc.

Neither MGM nor WB seem to have plans to re-release any WSS discs at this time.

It is VERY hard to find at store and e-tailers. You should check places like Borders and Sam Goody and similar "they carry DVDs but who thinks to look THERE" places...they may have some lingering on the shelves.

Other than that, eBay. Sorry. Good luck.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
if you have a multi region player, then here is one possibility Link Removed
or Link Removed
for a variety of prices.
:emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just saw a copy today at an FYE store. so if you still want it check there and check other mall based stores.
they have stock that is harder to find due to the over pricing that these stores have on there dvd's.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
What troubles me is that I remember Robt. Harris saying some time ago that WEST SIDE STORY was one of his dream projects on which to performa proper restoration. Is this in the works for the SE release? I'd hate for this fine film to not get the treatment it deserves. Anyone have any information on this?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I believe the film was one of the first ever to be mastered to DVD from 65mm (70mm) rather then a 35 mm print.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I believe the film was one of the first ever to be mastered to DVD from 65mm (70mm) rather then a 35 mm print.
Well, actually, it was the first film to ever get a 65mm telecine transfer, but it was for laserdisc, not DVD. 2001: A Space Odyssey was next (almost immediatley afterwards). Beyond those, I can't think of any films that have had a 65mm telecine. Apparently, the only machine that can do this (the UltraScan65) uses older (and lower quality) optical technologies than the newer digital telecine machines, which is why DVDs of 65mm films (like Lawrence of Arabia) are actually being made from 35mm anamorphic interpositives instead.

-Lyle J.P.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Lyle,

Thanks. I couldn't find my WSS DVD and realized it indeed was my old Laserdisc (in a closet).

Peter

P.S. I remember when the LD came out a reviewer complained that one scene had terrible "image break-up". The person was clueless to the fact that the scene in question (when Tony and Maria do their little dance at the gym) was supposed to be t hat way.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Internet Movie Database is reporting that a special edition of West Side Story will be released in April.

Late great actress Natalie Wood will get to sing her West Side Story songs at last, when the DVD of the hit musical movie is released in April. Wood's songs were dubbed by Marni Nixon for the film because producers felt the actress' voice wasn't strong enough for classic tunes like "I Feel Pretty" and "Tonight." But the DVD features Wood's attempt at "I Feel Pretty," which MGM bosses insist is "good, but nothing compared to Marni."
Wood had pressed to do her own singing in the film, according to Robert Wise.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Wood also sang Tonight and One Hand, One Heart. I've heard them and they are not band - just not as strong or stead(especialy on top) as Marni.
bTW- in the opening of Maria, the first two line(the most beautiful sound I ever heard, all the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word) are sung by Richard Beymer, the rest is by the dubber, Jimmy Bryant. This was told to me several years ago byBryant himself.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
MGM/UA should have an alternate track with the original voice of Natalie Wood (Much like FOX did with Audrey Hepburn on the "My Fair Lady" laserdisc)

I also have heard Natalie's vocals on "Tonight" and "One Hand One Heart" and they sound much like Marni Nixon's -although not as steady. It would be great to include them on the DVD.

I believe Marni Nixon said she was originally to do the high notes which were mixed with Natalie's vocals (Which were on the tracks I heard). Only after the film was completed did they use all of Marni's vocals.

The "Making of" documentary was holding up the release of the special edition, Jerome Robbins felt the documentary made him look bad.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually...

LoA's DVD IS from a 65mm interpositive.

West Side Story might be under restoration, but not by Robert Harris. I'm very worried that this means a digital restoration for video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks