Where's "West Side Story"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Philp, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Having only been into collecting DVDs for less than two years, I've been working hard at replacing many of my favorite VHS titles. Recently, I went to buy the movie "West Side Story" and nobody has it anymore. I always figured it was a catalog title that would always be around.
    Does anybody know if it's been pulled in anticipation a new addition? If that's the case, I don't remember hearing about it.

2. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I think I did read on a West Side Story fan site that MGM is working on a special edition. DVD Box Office shows it in stock, but that's the only one. Hopefully they'll fix the omitted "Jet whistle" at the end of the "Tonight" group version -- right when the screen turns red and the camera pulls back from the chain-link fence, there's supposed to be a Jet whistle there.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This title, previously released by MGM back in '98, is very definately out-of-print.

I *believe* this is one of the titles MGM no longer has the rights to, and those have shifted to WB. Like Brainstorm, Westworld, Wizard of Oz, Singin' In The Rain, etc.

Neither MGM nor WB seem to have plans to re-release any WSS discs at this time.

It is VERY hard to find at store and e-tailers. You should check places like Borders and Sam Goody and similar "they carry DVDs but who thinks to look THERE" places...they may have some lingering on the shelves.

Other than that, eBay. Sorry. Good luck.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    This film was by United Artists originally, making it clearly MGM property.

6. Scott Genualdi

Scott Genualdi Auditioning

Mark, a special edition is in prep at MGM. DVD Journal reported this in their post on May 14.

7. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Thanks guys! I think I'll wait for a the new version. It has however tought me that when I see something I should grab it.

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i just saw a copy today at an FYE store. so if you still want it check there and check other mall based stores.
    they have stock that is harder to find due to the over pricing that these stores have on there dvd's.

9. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

A Special Edition should be out soon, so hold off if you can

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks for the update and will hold buying this version then
    Cheers
    Oscar
    [​IMG]

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

What troubles me is that I remember Robt. Harris saying some time ago that WEST SIDE STORY was one of his dream projects on which to performa proper restoration. Is this in the works for the SE release? I'd hate for this fine film to not get the treatment it deserves. Anyone have any information on this?

12. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I believe the film was one of the first ever to be mastered to DVD from 65mm (70mm) rather then a 35 mm print.

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

14. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Lyle,

Thanks. I couldn't find my WSS DVD and realized it indeed was my old Laserdisc (in a closet).

Peter

P.S. I remember when the LD came out a reviewer complained that one scene had terrible "image break-up". The person was clueless to the fact that the scene in question (when Tony and Maria do their little dance at the gym) was supposed to be t hat way.

15. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Internet Movie Database is reporting that a special edition of West Side Story will be released in April.

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Wood also sang Tonight and One Hand, One Heart. I've heard them and they are not band - just not as strong or stead(especialy on top) as Marni.
    bTW- in the opening of Maria, the first two line(the most beautiful sound I ever heard, all the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word) are sung by Richard Beymer, the rest is by the dubber, Jimmy Bryant. This was told to me several years ago byBryant himself.

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

sounds fantastic, another claasic to be added to my ever growing collection
    [​IMG]

18. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

MGM/UA should have an alternate track with the original voice of Natalie Wood (Much like FOX did with Audrey Hepburn on the "My Fair Lady" laserdisc)

I also have heard Natalie's vocals on "Tonight" and "One Hand One Heart" and they sound much like Marni Nixon's -although not as steady. It would be great to include them on the DVD.

I believe Marni Nixon said she was originally to do the high notes which were mixed with Natalie's vocals (Which were on the tracks I heard). Only after the film was completed did they use all of Marni's vocals.

The "Making of" documentary was holding up the release of the special edition, Jerome Robbins felt the documentary made him look bad.

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually...

LoA's DVD IS from a 65mm interpositive.

West Side Story might be under restoration, but not by Robert Harris. I'm very worried that this means a digital restoration for video.

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor