What's new

Where's The Weinstein Company? (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I watched two of their HD-DVDs and they looked pretty good.

The best thing is to look at each released title individually, there are good and not so good transfers from every studio.

I have a few recently released Warner DVDs that look horrible yet they release Blade Runner in a stunning box set on HDM - what a pity if I had missed that based on how bad the DVDs looked.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Weinstein, where are you? Now would be the time!

Another their title is coming that I would want on Blu-ray, "The Mist". Since I refuse to buy it on SD DVD, I guess I just have to wait again.. Dammit.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The Gindhouse films would be nice or at least just Death Proof.

and whoever gives me Kill Bill first gets my money, I really don't care if it's the Whole Bloody Affair or Disney with the individual films.

El Cid needs work before it'll look good on BD, judging from the DVD. Hopefully Fall of the Roman Empire is in better shape, if so that would be a great High Def release.

Can't think of anything else I'd want from Weinstein.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hollywood insider, Penton_Man, has indicated previously that HDM authoring, in either format, was outside The Weinstein Company's budget, so it may be a while before we see any HD releases from them. That said, their catalog doesn't leave me wanting for much anyway.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Well, apparently they did an HD transfer of El Cid but according to those who saw it not a very good one, the DVD is also rather soft.

If what that insider said is true I would rather have preferred another studio to take these on, after all why get the rights to distribute movies if there is no money available to produce adequate master for them.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And yet, there were apparently German and Dutch companies who felt it was within their budget while looking at a smaller target audience for the same movies. Puzzling, that.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Does anyone know if Death Proof and Planet Terror Blu Rays from overseas will work here? I really want those.

(See my sig) ;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Some rumors at least:
Blu-ray.com - Genius Products Hints at Blu-ray Support

"Trevor Drinkwater, CEO of Genius Products, stated during a company presentation that "Blu-ray is the last format in, and that has cleared the way for the industry to get aggressive around next generation DVD." Genius Products distributes films for studios such as The Weinstein Company and Tartan Films.

While no Blu-ray titles have been announced from Genius Products, this statement hints that Genius Products will be following the rest of Hollywood by adding support for the high definition format."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Now the "news" also reported here (nothing still not confirmed..):
Genius to Go Blu in Late 2008; Weinstein to Follow? | High-Def Digest

My wish list (from the newer films):

-Bobby (2006)
-Cassandra's Dream (2007)
-Crossing Over (2007)
-The Mist (2007)
-Halloween (2007)
-Grindhouse (2007): "Death Proof" and "Planet Terror"
-The Hunting Party (2007)
-1408 (2007)
-Diary of the Dead (2008)

I would get these all, so bring them on. :)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Diary of the Dead" also coming (along with "The Mist", "1408", and "Rob Zombie's Halloween"). Good news for the horror-fans.

My Two Cents - Archived Posts (7/28/08 - 7/1/08)

"Meanwhile, we've confirmed with Genius Products and The Weinstein Company that The Mist: Two-Disc Collector's Edition will street on Blu-ray on 9/16 (SRP $34.95). The disc will contain everything from the DVD, including the theatrical version of the film, the black and white version, commentary with Frank Darabont, deleted scenes with optional commentary, all the DVD's featurettes, webisodes and more. Audio will be available in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and standard Dolby Digital 5.1. Also coming to Blu-ray on 9/16 is 1408 (SRP $29.95), again with all the DVD extras. Newly announced by Genius and Weinstein for Blu-ray are George Romero's Diary of the Dead (SRP $29.95) and Rob Zombie's Halloween: Collector's Edition (SRP $34.95), both for release on 10/21. As with the other titles, audio will be Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital, and all the DVD extras will be included."

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
They should think about releasing Fall of the Roman Empire and El Cid on Blu-Ray.
They will have to be very careful though with the the DNR which is clearly overdone on the Sd versions of both movies.

Those two would really shine if the Blu-Ray versions add significant and much missed detail over their SD counterparts.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

All I can say is, it's about goddamn time...and I'll be pissed if it's not the unrated version of Halloween.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

REALLY disappointed that they're not releasing the new transfer of "Night of the Living Dead" in this batch, especially as they're releasing "Diary." The UK is getting a Blu on Sept. 15th.

I can believe they're not marketing Night & Diary at the same time.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Thanks for reminding me - when no release date came down, I forgot the initial promise of Blu.

Given the praise given the SD version, I can't wait to own "Night of the Living Dead" in HD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks