What's new

Where's The Weinstein Company? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that Weinstein only owns the rights to the whole bloody affair, not the individual films. Those rights still belong to Miramax(aka Disney).

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Shane,

I realize that.

I've heard that Disney should be releasing Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 this fall on BD, so it would be nice if The Weinsteins released "The whole Bloody Affair" on HD-DVD to balance things out, but I don't know.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Kill Bill 1 & 2 and Pulp Fiction have just been listed for a 9/3 release in the UK (Amazon). I'm assuming US release news is being held back for a one shot swamping.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

If we get these in the next couple months I'll take back everything bad I ever said about Disney when they pulled their Summer lineup.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

I don't disagree that the first AUSTIN POWERS became really huge on video which led to the sequels being far bigger box-office performers. As I pointed out in my post, this was very similar to THE TERMINATOR, which was a lowish-budget "sleeper" hit (around $6-million to make, $35-million domestic box office) that gained more and more popularity on cable and home video and led to the $200-million plus gross of TERMINATOR 2.

However you called it a "box office dud" and that simply is not true.

Re: $17-million budgeted films that gross $53-million "fading into obscurity", I beg to differ. THE HILLS HAVE EYES cost around $15-million and grossed 'only' $40-million, but that was enough for Fox to produce a sequel. Eli Roth's HOSTEL grossed less than $50-million, but it spawned a sequel. Box-office success is relative to the budget of the film and also the genre. To blanket say that most movies that gross $53-million "fade into obscurity" is as absurd as calling AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY a "box office dud" is. AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY was a box-office hit, plain and simple.

Vincent

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It was surely a money maker. But in terms of Hollywood expectations it was nothing to get excited about. I'm not talking about the reality of making a profit. I'm talking about what is considered a hit in Hollywood and what isn't. Films that do modest business (again in Hollywood's eyes) don't generally get sequels. In fact there was much talk at the time that the market for films had changed and Austen Powers was held up as an example. It did okay in theaters but was a monster hit on home video. You may notice that the budget for the first sequel went up to 33 million. Typically you wouldn't see that for a movie of Austen Powers box office numbers, if it got a sequel at all.

The Terminator is not a great comparison because that film was released when Star Trek movies were making 80 and 90 million. And for a 6 million dollar quickie to make 38 million was a big deal in 1984. It ended up making 78 million world wide.

Doug

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Keep in mind, Hills Have Eyes and Hostel did absolutely amazing on DVD. And Hostel's budget was only $4 million. That was Doug's original point about Austin Powers. Austin is what it is due to the amazing success on DVD. That's where Austin Powers became a cult and then mainstream hit.

Everything in Hollywood today is determined by DVD sales. Obviously big time smash hits like Transformers are going to get a sequel regardless. But these smaller films with $1.5-15 million budgets really do depend on DVD sales/rentals. Unless it's something like Blair Witch that screamed up to $150 million at the box office.

It was not a sure thing that Hostel would get a sequel, until it soared on DVD (and the Torture trend had to continue - if they tried making Hostel 2 in a few years, I'm not sure they'd be able to as the Torture trend is nearing its end - THANK GOD! :) )

Cheers,

Jason

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Are there ANY news of "Weinstein Company" and HD-releases? I mean I haven´t even seen e.g. "Death Proof", "Planet Terror" or "Halloween (2007)" and I refuse to buy them in DVD.. Dammit.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
And my biggest concern is that one of my favorite films of the year, The Mist, will not be getting a release on a high def. format.

I also wanted to get 1408 and Grindhouse on high def (don't even really care which one, but I do lean a bit towards HD DVD)...it stinks that they've been so quiet.

I'd like to know what they're planning, no matter what. Preferably before The Mist comes out!

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
remember kids now with the advent of dvds, movies dont have to do well at the box office, they are more like commercials for when its released to dvds.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Death Proof will be released in Germany on the 8th of January in both blue and red versions, no sign though of Planet Terror.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Seems to me like either they're planning to release their films on SD only then wait 6-12 months and release it again to HD in the hopes of getting people to double-dip (which is why I don't buy recent films on SD when that's the only thing available) or they've just completely bailed on HD.

GJN

Grip
Real Name
George
I'd love to see them release their new remastered version of El Cid in high definition -- preferably on Blu-ray.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I just read from AVSforum, that "Halloween (2007)" should come in Blu-ray in Scandinavia (Nordisk Film). I guess "Death Sentence" is also coming.

The same company has also released at least "Children of Men" and "Hannibal Rising" (I guess also "The Hitcher (2007)") in Blu-ray.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I think 'The Weinstein Company' is no big loss for either HDM formats. I say this based on the awful quality of their DVDs. Just last night I watched, 'The Hunting Party', while the movie was quite good, the DVD really sucked. I can well imagine the quality of HDM that they would release considering that they cannot even put out a decent quality DVD.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

If you live close to Hollywood or Washington you can catch El Cid at the AFI movie theaters next monday :)

I do also hope that they will release El Cid on Blu-Ray but I will not hold my breath for them to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks