What's new

Where to buy SNES game dust covers? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Yeah, there are some auctions for them on eBay, but I'm not really interested in paying $1 each and then $5 shipping on top of that. Does anybody know of a place where I can get these without getting royally screwed?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
They aren't really necessary. Dust isn't much of a threat to carts and the dust covers don't protect from moisture. Just clean older carts with rubbing alcohol and throw them in a zip loc baggie if you really feel the need.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hmm... never really thought about it that way, Camp. Thanks for the suggestion. So is cleaning with regular, undiluted isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a q-tip the best way to take care of the carts?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I keep my SNES/genesis games without cases in the big plastic square NES boxes. Bought a lot of them on Ebay about 3 years back. Perfect for SNES, games slide around a little in the NES cases, but they keep the dust off.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... never really thought about it that way, Camp. Thanks for the suggestion. So is cleaning with regular, undiluted isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a q-tip the best way to take care of the carts?
Yup, as far as I know. That's what I use on my NES carts. One big piece of advice: do NOT blow on the connectors. Yes, it removes dust, but you put more moisture on them (from your breath), which in the long run is a bigger killer than dust.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Also, don't waste any money on cart cleaning kits (if you can still find anyone selling them). They are nothing more than specially shaped Qtips & isopropyl.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I've used Q-tips and warm water over the years and it works great. I bought a couple lots of NES dust covers for dust and the collector's aspect of it. SNES dust covers seem pretty much useless unless they are stored in an area with lots of airflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks