What's new

Where is Adire's XBL^2 mid? (Extremis) (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I'm itching to build a 2-way with a ribbon and their killer 6" driver like they were pimping at CES, but the Extremis seems to be AWOL.

What's up?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I wonder what tweeter they will pair with the Extremis and where they will crossover. It is flat til about 5 kHz so there will be a lot of possibilities. I have read Adire wont be using the ribbon and that they probably wont be using another Audax tweeter.
I will be building a pair of speakers using either the Extremis or the new XBL^2 4" full range depending on price.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I know that they are planning on making XBL^2 tweeters but I havent heard if any are any close to production. From what I understand the Extremis should be available in the next few months.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I thought the 6.5" super midwoofer was being used in MTM with a ribbon tweeter (Aurum Cantus G2?) and the XBL tweeter had very low frequency extension.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I'm no expert, just repeating what I've read and they are mostly rumours.

I read that they wont use the Aurum Cantus G2 in a kit because it is expensive (about $180US each). The Audax they use is the KIT281 and others is about $20 from PE. The G2 frequency response is for 2kHz-40kHz.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Well, that sucks... They sounded sweet with the ribbon at CES. I don't expect 2 Extremis mids to be $20, so why would they only offer such a low end tweeter with them?

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Who said they were? :) One thing to keep in mind is that at CES Adire was showing the drivers themselves and not the speaker kit. They may not even offer that speaker that was heard at CES simply because it wasn't an Adire "finished speaker" and was a prototype speaker being developed for somebody else using Adire drivers and technology. Heck, the finished Extremis wont even use the same motor that was on the units at CES but similar/better specs will result in the finished product.

Yes, they did sound really good at CES and I'm sure they will get even better.

As Dan mentioned in the link I originally provided, CES is a show to debut new products and technology that may or may not be ready at that time and is used as a glimpse into the future.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The completed speaker at CES was a representation of one that should be offered by Exodus Audio. Adire will carry the Extremis 6 but there is no Adire speaker plan at this time that I know of. The next prototype was due to arrive yesterday. Hopefully we'll get to check it out again at our DIY meet on the 17th.

Bob Reimer

Agent
The drivers arriving next week are a version of the CSS 4" (shown at CES) which were done for a potential OEM who doesn't require the shielding. These will be available for listening on the 17th at Adire.

Driver development requires "Extremis" patience.

Bob

The Extremis 4's coming in also have the new phase plug which will extend the response out to 20 kHz. We still have the MTM setup shown at CES using the Extremis 6 and ribbon tweeters. Of course my favorite thing to listen to still is the Sadhara. I have fallen in love with the way it sounds.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Just hurry up with the Extremis 6. I want a MTM that I can cross over at 6kHz (or higher) that can play down to 40Hz. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks