What's new

where do you buy your DVD's at? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
In order:
Best Buy/Future Shop (same dif; owned by same co.)
Wal-Mart
The Real Canadian Superstore
A & B Sound (good prices, but nearest store is downtown)
Rogers Video
Blockbuster
I only buy PVTs @ the last 2, although I did get a pretty good deal on the Red Curtain Trilogy @ Rogers.
While it's fun to slag Wal-Mart, sometimes the $6.88 bin is a real goldmine; found The Virgin Suicides and The Secret Garden (1993) there last week.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Wal Mart, Costco, Circuit City and Best Buy. And you usually get the best initial prices during the first week of release.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
B&M:
Target
Suncoast (Im a replay member and one of my closest friends is the manager)
Video clearence center (local store; used dvds there are CHEAP!!)
Costco

Occasionally Ill go to
Best Buy
Dimple records (Local New and used music/DVD store)
Hollywood video (Love their 2 for $10 used deal)

Online:
Amazon
DDD
DVDplanet
Columbia House

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Columbia House for the majority...Can't believe I'm the first one to mention Columbia House.

For stuff Columbia House doesn't carry it's really whoever is cheapest. I buy online mostly. Usually Amazon or Deep Discount DVD.

I'll hit either Best Buy or Walmart for certain sale prices.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Nobody beats Wal-mart for new release pricing in my town. All new releases are 15.87. Best Buy is right across the street and they do not compete with those prices.

Recently, I turned to Deep Discount DVD for catalog titles, UNBELIEVABLE pricing. I ordered "In Dreams" for 6.36. Wow, great price.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I generally try and get them where cheapest. Generally it's Best Buy, Target, or Sam's Club. Have never ordered online.

Brad HP

Agent
I visit BestBuy just about every Tuesday and pick up the attractively priced titles on sale that week. I bring copies of other stores weekly flyers to price match.

Any title that I think may not be widely available at BestBuy, I buy from DeepDiscount DVD.

Rarely I will buy from Amazon if they beat DeepDiscount DVD's price.

For the occaissional back catalogue title, I look around at Newbury Comics as they generally have a large selection (particularly their used titles). Newbury Comics pricing is not fantastic.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
[Warning: Canada]

My purchase pattern has changed a lot in the last 6 months.

Best Buy (locally) doesn't even rate any more. They have a very good nicely organised selection, but no reason to buy there when

Future Shop is always cheaper or the same, and is like 200yds away. But even FS is more expensive than online, though they will price-match with Canadian online places if you want the minor hassle. So will BB, but way more BS and hassle.

Wal-Mart used to be my favorite place, but their new release prices are barely competitive with FS, mostly more expensive, but will price-match.

I get almost all my discs from DVDSoon and amazon.ca lately. It is rare when anybody beats DVDSoon in price, including taxes etc., but they have some IMO very odd policies that may be off-putting, but I've never had any real problem so far. Very volatile prices too.

DeepDiscountDVD for hard-to-get (in Canada) discs, and for Criterions. Their shipping charges etc. are the best/lowest/non-existent for Canadians, and you may even skip any taxes too.

I have used DVDPlanet and overstock.com with good luck, but their shipping to Canada can be expensive, so I only use them when I can ship to a U.S. address conveniently (parents).

Columbia House Canada has unbeatable prices if you know the system and use your head (and Excel!). It is not at all like the U.S. club, so you have to learn the ropes, different than what you may read in most forums. Like RIGHT NOW is the absolute best time of the year to buy discs from them...plan ahead, save your very expensive discs for when they're 2/$25 or $15 (like now) and you only have to pay full price for 1 expensive one (which usually aren't discounted much anywhere, even DDDVD). Like I refused to pay $35 for Equilibrium, or $39 for Ran, say, but both for $25 I can suck up.

To sum up: the local B&M's have *really* fallen off my purchasing radar in the last 6 months, except when they have clearances or bargain bins. It seems nonsensical that their prices have gone noticeably up when they're basically buying from U.S. sources and their cost should have gone down ~20% due to exchange, not to mention that many disc prices in the U.S. seem to have dropped somewhat. Release day specials have disappeared (locally), and in fact are typically a couple bucks higher at FS than a few days later.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
As of late, Ultimate Electronics sells their new releases below Best Buy for B&M. They generally are cheaper than DDD too. But as it works out, I end up going to Best Buy and price matching because of other things I need at Best Buy so its a matter of going to one place.

Online: I've bought a few from buy.com but I'm looking at starting to purchase quite a few from Digital Eyes.

Lou_Toth

Auditioning
We finally got a Best Buy in my neck of the woods, so I've been buying a few there. I buy from Amazon online, and we also just got a new Borders, which is more expensive, but they have a great selection.

Adam T

Agent
LaserLand is this great place in Long Island, New York. They have an unbelievable selection of DVD's and are usually a little less then Best Buy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am surprised no-one has mentioned our
sponsor, Lasers Edge

Sad, they help sponsor this forum and it would
be great if you guys showed some purchase support.

I have been using them for years after having
difficulties at another online vendor. I have
had nothing but reliable and fast service.

Perhaps I can persuade a few of you to try
them out and support a company that supports
this forum.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Just had a quick click there, they don't look too bad. Next time I get an R1 DVD, I'll have a look there - though as I'm in the UK< the shipping will probably be extortionate..

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I usually purchase DVDS locally but every now and than I will import DVDs from the states because of the bilingual packaging issue here. I think next time when I do this I will give The Laser's Edge a try.
Im surprised I've never heard of them until now.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks