What's new

Where can I obtain black fiberglass ceiling tiles for the HT? (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I am in the process of repainting my HT room and am having trouble locating black ceiling tiles for the suspending ceiling up top. I really don't want to paint the tiles as I believe that would affect the absorbtion qualities. Does anybody have ideas?
Thanks!
Dave

Steve U

Grip
Good question - I was going to use a Wagner Power Painter to spray the tiles and tracks to match the walls (burgundy). Never thought about sound quality. Shouldn't affect it too much unless the paint went on real thick...
------------------
Link Removed
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams...
- W. Wonka

andyg

Agent
I would contact David Bott over at avscience.com. I believe he had to special order the ceiling tiles in black from Armstrong. I would not suggest painting the tiles as it will change the absorption characteristics of the tiles.....
--Andy Garabedian

Brian_J

Second Unit
Of course that assumes the "absorption characteristics" were correct to begin with. Since most tiles are not really built for special use i dont know what that would mean in terms of a home theater. Personally, i'd just paint them. Thats what most builders do on commercial projects.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

andyg

Agent
The tiles on their own have have ability or absorb high frequencies such as those above 10K(The tiles have a certain coefficient factor at certain frequencies. I believe most 5/8" start absorbing energy around 8K, but I will go back an find my info on this.) Anyway, putting a layer of paint on the tiles will give them more of a reflective quality from a sound standpoint since the top layer where the paint is applied will loose its porous qualities and affect the sound sound characteristics or "coefficient factor" of the tile. Using an analogy of light, you will have created a mirror like quality to the tile as related to sound. It may be fine in a commercial area where sound transmission, absorption, and reflection are not an issue, but in a small room these factors become a major concern.
--Andy Garabedian

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I am also interested in covering my white ceiling with black tiles. I was just planning on using large 1" tacks to stick the tiles in with so as I do not damage the ceiling.
Would it be possible to dye the tiles black? I was thinking of using a water based black dye which would absorb into the tile, coloring it, yet not changing the sound absorption characteristics.
Any thoughts on this?
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
RonSig.jpg
The Green Room

Vance V

Grip
Dave,
Here's a number for Armstrong: 1-888-CEILINGS
They will locate you a local dealer. I used their Fine Fissured 1728ABL with an NRC of .55.
Good luck,
------------------
Vance
My HT Pics

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Vance,
Thanks for the info. Which local dealer did you go through? I live in Crystal Lake, IL which is 20 minutes from Elgin. Do you gamble at the boat much?
Dave

andyg

Agent
I would think the dye would be less obtrusive than painting, but never heard of anyone trying it; Sorry. One thing I do know from leaving a few tiles too close to the sprinkler is a little water has a nasty effect on the shape of the tile. I lost a few to the sprinkler catching a corner of the garage door that was open and eventually by Murphy's Law the water found its way to where I had the tiles stacked....
--Andy Garabedian

Vance V

Grip
Dave,
I can't remember the name of the company at the moment, but I'll look for it. But I do remember that they had a distribution center in Crystal Lake. I could have picked up my stuff there if I wanted to.
------------------
Vance
My HT Pics

Steve U

Grip
Tell me what you folks think of this. I had an "epiphany" while walking through a craft shop.
Instead of Armstrong ceiling tiles, using the same Sound Board I used in my walls and covering them in fabric. A 4x8 sheet could be cut into 4 2x4 tiles for much less than decent ceiling tiles, they'd be heavy and absorbent enough, and since they'd be covered in fabric, who cares what they look like?
Since I was going to do a deep red or burgundy color and considered painting the ceiling tiles black to make them "disappear", maybe I could paint the tracks to match the walls and use black fabric for a different look.
Sounds better than painting the tiles...
------------------
Link Removed
(click logo for pics)
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams...
- W. Wonka

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That sounds like a good idea. Although, I priced up some ceiling tiles and a case of 10-2'x4' tiles ran $19.95, add a can of spray paint at $3.00 and that is fairly inexpensive. About the cheapest fabric I found was black felt and that was $3.00/sq.yd. I still think spraying a light coat of black paint on tiles is the way to go.
My house has the popcorn type ceiling and when I bought the place I had all the ceilings painted (they were yellow from the previous owner who was a smoker). So the ceiling in my HT room already has a heavy coat of paint on it. I'm sure the tiles will be more absorbent, acoustically, than what I have now, even with a coat of paint on them.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
RonSig.jpg
The Green Room

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Guys: try to keep safety in mind. I'd hate for the hobby we love so much to be the cause of death of anyone in this fine online community. If you're going to put fabric on the ceiling, make sure it's flame retardant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks