What's new

Where can I get a sub amp??? (1 Viewer)

Travis G.

Auditioning
Where can I get a powerfull quality amp for a reasonable price? I'm looking for a 600 watt home subwoofer amp for about $700 and under.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
600 watts total? 600 watts per channel? 600 watts bridged?
-Vince
------------------
We're starting a Home Theater Enthusiasts Club here in OHIO. Want to participate in our discussions and events? Check out the info here .

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Gee you could get a pretty powerful amp with $700. I was looking for that much power, hoping for under $300(wont happen
wink.gif
). 600w a channel? i dunno about that, but total power it could be done easily with 700 dollars

Peter Clausen

Auditioning
You can pick up a Crown CE-2000 for around $600 if you look around.
660W per channel into 4 ohms
400W per channel into 8 ohms
1950W bridged into 4 ohms
1320W bridged into 8 ohms

Cub Karabian

Auditioning
Agreed on the Crown idea. Many people are beginning to understand the power of a "professional" piece for subwoofer amplification, which does not require as much in terms of sonic quality as your mids and highs' amplifiers. My roommate and I have three Crown K2s that absolutely thunder the room. I have used both the CE1000 and CE2000 and find them the perfect bass solution for that price range. And they'll just run and run and run forever.

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
OMG! 3 K2s??! thats a lotta power! Anyone know the best place to get a new/used CE1000 for $300 or under? And how much power does it have? I would go with the CE2000 but the $600 pricetag is throwin me off.

Travis G.

Auditioning
I should have been more specific in my original post. I'm looking for a raw home subwoofer amp.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Travis,
What is a "raw home subwoofer amp"? Forgive my ignorance, but I've been working with amplifiers for going on 10 years and have never heard this particular distinction.
Are you looking for a plate style amp, like the kind you find on commercial home subwoofer enclosures?
Are you looking for an outboard professional style amplifier, like most folks around here use?
-Vince
------------------
We're starting a Home Theater Enthusiasts Club here in OHIO. Want to participate in our discussions and events? Check out the info here .

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Many people are beginning to understand the power of a "professional" piece for subwoofer amplification, which does not require as much in terms of sonic quality as your mids and highs' amplifiers.
I have to say,, that no matter what I was powering, be it subs or full range speakers in my HT, I would prefer professional style amplifers regardless.
I would put any Crown Pro or Crest professional amplifier up against any consumer mono block amp or multichannel amplifier- any day of the week. I think barring auphile tube products, a professional amplifier made by Crest or crown would best 100% of the outboard amps available. I would even say that other brands like Ashly and Carver would also kick the crap out of every consumer amp in the same price range.
Your statement above just inferred that professional amplifiers were less appealing for mids and highs due to a lack of sonic quality, but I think you'll find that good pro amps are ruler flat and can power you clean out of your house!
-Vince
------------------

Travis G.

Auditioning
What is a "raw home subwoofer amp"? Forgive my ignorance, but I've been working with amplifiers for going on 10 years and have never heard this particular distinction.
Are you looking for a plate style amp, like the kind you find on commercial home subwoofer enclosures?
Are you looking for an outboard professional style amplifier, like most folks around here use?
Whatever works. It would be easier if it had it's own housing but it's not a high priority.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Whatever works.
Well, both work. And getting 600 watts (total? per channel? Who knows, you never answered that question) for under $700 will be very easy either with a plate style amp or a professional rack mount unit.
I would say there are probably more than 200 different products out there that will fit your need as explained so far, so it is tough to offer any real advice without knowing specifically what you need.
:)
------------------

Travis G.

Auditioning
Well Vince, I want to build a Shiva subwoofer. It will have 1 Avitar Shiva 12" speaker so I only need 600 watts total. It doesn't matter a lot if it's meant to go on a rack or mounted on the box. I want an amp that puts off a pretty clean signal because I tend to push them hard and I don't want to burn up my speaker.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jim Jones, I clicked on both your links, and both times an ad page came up from a company selling web sites. What is the amp manufacturer you are recommending?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I value and respect Vince's opinion but bought a used Peavy CS 800 amp for $300 (somewhat against his advice) to drive my dual shiva sonotube. This amp gives more than enough power to fill my 24x34 HT room and the price was great!!. If you dont really need a high quality amp to powere a sub then why get one??
I got mine from ugbm.com I called them for info and they gave excellent CS support.
Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks