What's new

Where can I buy horse meat? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Hey, that ManBeef site made me hungry! :laugh: That's pretty gross, but I liked the T-shirts. :)
/Mike

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I really don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me I once heard it was against the Christian religon to eat meat from anything but a split hoofed animal. Seems to me they were referred to as a cloven hoofed animal.

Regardless of the reason for not eating horse meat, I don't think I could deal with it. Now, oysters are just fine. Go figure.

Deane

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
I used to live in Southern Italy & was surprised to find the horsemeat butcher right next door to the cattle butcher. The horse meat butcher had a horse head sign outside the shop.

The Italians think Americans are gross for eating corn. They consider it pig feed and are surprised that Americans eat pig feed.

Jay Taylor

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
The Italians think Americans are gross for eating corn. They consider it pig feed and are surprised that Americans eat pig feed.
Hey, guess what? Corn originated with the native Americans here, so WE get to decide whether to eat it or not! ;)
Seriously though, corn masa is a staple diet of many American cultures (tortillas, tamales, etc.). To dismiss a fruit or vegetable as being "for animals only" is just asnine to me. Horses love apples, does that mean I shouldn't eat them too? :rolleyes

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Dog meat on the other hand, I don't think I could eat. I'd have to be damn near starving to death to even consider it. Doesn't make much sense, but we humans are funny that way.
Check out a scene in the movie King Rat that deals with that very subject. Interesting stuff.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
Cant eat horse meat... what is up with that? We eat cows, sheep, ostrich, buffalo, pigs, fish, turkeys, chickens, ducks, geese, grouse, lord knows what else but horse meat is taboo? I'd eat my dog and cat if dog and cat was good eating.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hrm, can't say I've tried horse meat, how bad can it be? I'd give it a whirl, why not.
different cultures eat different critters, I'm not real big on raw fish but you don't see me itchin to ban it :)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I remember we used to get horse meat back in the early '70's. Then in the mid-70's it disappeared and basically nobody talked about it anymore.

It's like a cross between beef and elk to me. But then again, it has been 25+ years since I have eaten it.

I'll stick to buffalo these days if I can help it.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
That, when combined with the fact that ground beef by law is allowed to have certain levels of rat in it
WHAT??????????????????????????????:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
Please say this isn't true...I think I'm going to be ill.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's a simple practical fact that you can't have pure anything. You have to allow some contamination in things, otherwise you just can't produce it at a reasonable price.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Jamie E’s quote:

To dismiss a fruit or vegetable as being "for animals only" is just asnine to me. Horses love apples, does that mean I shouldn't eat them too?
I was merely illustrating interesting cultural quirks in both the American and Italian cultures.

Most of us Americans love corn but consider it improper to eat horsemeat because it would be like eating “Trigger”. So what do we do? We butcher the horses we are so concerned about & feed them to our pets.

Most Southern Italians think it’s okay to eat horsemeat but think corn is unfit for human consumption. So they feed it to their pigs.

Jay Taylor

Andy_S

Second Unit
Dog meat on the other hand, I don't think I could eat. I'd have to be damn near starving to death to even consider it. Doesn't make much sense, but we humans are funny that way.
I remember reading something a while back saying humans (in general) don't eat carnivorous animals. Can you think of one carnivorous animal that is considered "normal" meat? Fish don't count :)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The three men slurp their stew.

I do miss her cookin' though.

DELMAR

This stew's awful good.

WASH

Think so?

He sniffs dubiously at his spoon.

I slaughtered this horse last Tuesday;

'm afraid she's startin' to turn.

EugeneR

Second Unit
Horse isn't exactly kosher anyway
Why not?? It's got the right kind of hoof, doesn't it?
As for all you folks worried about the amount of rat
meat allowed in ground beef--I suggest you look past that and start worrying about the amount of rat feces that is allowed--not to mention bugs, worms, flies, larvae, and other such fun stuff that is allowed to be in various types of food in certain proportions. Bon Appetit!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks