What's new

Where can I buy horse meat? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

I've lived here in the states for 4 years now and I'm really starting to miss horse meat. It's also called "hamburger meat" in Sweden.

It's sliced sandwich meat, dark in color, and very very yummy on rye bread. Does anyone know if this is sold under a different name in stores in the US, or where I can order it online? I've asked in a few stores, but they didn't know.

Thanks,

Mike

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Umm, although the thought of eating horse seems kind of gross(I'm sure I would try it if I was in Sweden though) I will try and help. My only idea is to go to a farm that raises horses. They may be able to help you and if you have a butcher that is willing to help, you're golden. *Gulp* Good Luck :frowning:
Another thought I just had was to try and have it delivered from Sweden.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I have only found one Swedish site that exports Swedish food to individuals abroad, and they had a very limited selection, that didn't include horse meat.
I've searched the web for places to buy Swedish food in the US, but the few I've found haven't had horse meat.
I don't want to buy a whole horse either, I don't eat THAT many sandwiches. :) Just a few packs of it, it's packaged kind of like ham is.
There are some other Swedish foods I've been looking for too (a thick, sour milk called "filmjölk", similar to yoghurt that I haven't been able to find in stores here, among others) but haven't found, so anyone with information about Swedish food in the US, please spill it here. :)
/Mike

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
We have a very dim view of horse meat in the USA, we don't eat it. It may even be illegal for all I know. I've never heard of horse meat being used for anything except pet food in this country.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I've lived here in the states for 4 years now and I'm really starting to miss horse meat.
Wow! I didnt know people actually ate horse. Now Im starting to wonder if the rumors about school lunches were true.

-ikiru

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I feel a little ill.
:crazy:
I'm sure it's just a cultural thing. Humans eating horse meat is pretty much taboo here.
I assume it's because horses are like pets to many people.
You know, I've always wanted to try iguana, but I used to raise them for pets, and I like them too much.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I was intrigued enough to do some research and it seems that California passed a law forbidding slaughtering horses and the sale of horses to slaughterhouses (other states have followed suit). Also, it seems that there was an increase in demand for horse and goat meat due to the hoof and mouth disease.

I am a big fan of trying new things (ostrich, buffalo, elk, etc...) but Im positive that horse is on the other side of the line for me.

Interesting...

-ikiru

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
After doing a quick search on google, I discovered that 4 horse slaughterhouses exist in the U.S. to export meat, mainly to Europe. This is down from 14 about 10 years ago.

Horse meat isn't even used much in dog food anymore because it is too expensive (apparently nearly $20/pound).

Not only is it taboo in the U.S., but it is illegal to slaughter a horse for meat in at least 1 state, California. It wouldn't suprise me if other states have passed similar laws.

Looks like ikiru beat me to it. Anyway, personally, I'd never try it. Horse isn't exactly kosher anyway.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder. Is passing a law forbidding the consumption of horse meat a violation of civil liberties? Can government pass a law telling us what to eat and what not to eat if the item in question does not cause any danger to the consumer?

Discuss amongst yourselves...

-ikiru

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Not only is it taboo in the U.S., but it is illegal to slaughter a horse for meat in at least 1 state, California. It wouldn't suprise me if other states have passed similar laws.

Wow, I had no idea. Do you know why?

Joe, was there contact information for the sluaghterhouses on the pages you found? If so I'd be interested to see if they can tell me where to buy it. Otherwise I guess I'll have to order it from Sweden somehow.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with this thread, I just figured that horse meat was sold in the US, but maybe under a different name or in specialty stores. If someone is offended, I apologize.

/Mike

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Hrm...I think if I ever have the good fortune of travelling to Switzerland, I'll probably get by on a subsistence diet of chocolates. ;)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
MickeS, the map toward the bottom of this page was the only details of the 4 slaughterhouses that I found. But the map confirmed a statement I had read on another website about only 4 remaining in the U.S.
The map lists the cities, so maybe with a little bit of research you might be able to contact them.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Joe, thanks, I'll give it a try. One of them is in Kaufman, Texas, by the way. :)
/Mike

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Yeah, I noticed. That's how most of my family spells it. That's what happens when you come over from Europe at different times.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I can't help with the horse meat, but this is an interesting topic. I can see how some people would find the idea of eating horse meat disgusting. Personally, I could probably eat it as I've never been around horses and so have never had an attachment to one. Dog meat on the other hand, I don't think I could eat. I'd have to be damn near starving to death to even consider it. Doesn't make much sense, but we humans are funny that way.

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
Dog meat on the other hand, I don't think I could eat. I'd have to be damn near starving to death to even consider it. Doesn't make much sense, but we humans are funny that way.
I have nothing to add to this discussion except this quote from Jack Handey, "I guess if I were starving to death I would eat a dog. But not a collie, because I don't like the taste of collie."

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
If horse meat is used in taco bell, then give me another grilled stuft burrito please. Those things rock.

Actually, horse meat is supposed to be pretty good. I have friends who used to live in France and they can't get over the fact that nobody here has ever eaten a horse meat steak.

That, when combined with the fact that ground beef by law is allowed to have certain levels of rat in it, leads me to believe that horse may not be too bad of an experience for the palate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks