What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hey Sam - Now that you've had some time to play with it, any updated thoughts on the 540?

Digging it. The HDR is about 90% of the way there using the Oppo 203 with the custom curves. Flat panels still have it beat but you can't beat projection for screen size and immersion, and I am satisfied I am getting the full HDR effect because of that combination.

I'm finicky with this stuff tho. My other viewing participants tell me I am out of my mind and they think it's as good or better than our local Dolby Cinema and way better colors than our IMAX. High praise!

I had the stupid mount turned about a degree or two and it caused the bottom edge to tilt up to the right. There is nothing to help you align this on the PJ, so had to take it down and take another crack at it. Annoying but fixed.

Again, because finding willing people to demo modern PJs is such a pain in the ass I will say again: I welcome all HTF (and hell, even AVSers!) who want to see this PJ in action to cmon up to Aberdeen MD to take a look! Just PM me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Digging it. The HDR is about 90% of the way there using the Oppo 203 with the custom curves. Flat panels still have it beat but you can't beat projection for screen size and immersion, and I am satisfied I am getting the full HDR effect because of that combination.

I'm finicky with this stuff tho. My other viewing participants tell me I am out of my mind and they think it's as good or better than our local Dolby Cinema and way better colors than our IMAX. High praise!

I had the stupid mount turned about a degree or two and it caused the bottom edge to tilt up to the right. There is nothing to help you align this on the PJ, so had to take it down and take another crack at it. Annoying but fixed.

Again, because finding willing people to demo modern PJs is such a pain in the ass I will say again: I welcome all HTF (and hell, even AVSers!) who want to see this PJ in action to cmon up to Aberdeen MD to take a look! Just PM me.
For multiple reasons, you just made my day! :)

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fortunately for you, Colorado is a long way from Maryland.:lol:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When do new projectors get announced? Is that typically the Fall? I’m wondering I should start researching for possible 2019 upgrades.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok. I’m considering the whole shebang, projector and a TV or two, maybe the TiVo and streaming boxes. Don’t want to start researching too soon I’d its just a waste of time.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just ordered my first 4K title [Black Panther] yesterday and I didn't buy it to watch at 1080P so I know the clock is ticking for me. I've been salivating over the JVC 540 every since Sam bought his but I'm just not ready to pull the trigger yet. I need the price to come down a bit as I will also likely be adding an Oppo 203, assuming I can find one. :mellow:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still haven’t figured out why people pay top dollar for Oppo UHD players. Bits is bits. And in reviews I didn’t see any real claim they do a better job than any other player with native uhd content. ???

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bits are bits for 1:1 decodes, but as far as upscaling goes, Oppo is the best in the business. Combine that with the ease of modifying to region free capability, the ability to play native PAL and 1080i 50 content, and its support for legacy audio formats like SACD and DVD-A, there are a lot of compelling reasons to purchase an Oppo if you have that kind of material in your collection.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That makes sense. As I’ve never had an upscaling device, I’ve never cared about it — and rarely watch DVDs since going HD — and have none of the other stuff, so an OPPO doesn’t get my attention.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
People are creating projector user profiles that allow external devices to make better HDR looks than the manufacturers are. Oppo decks do this better than anyone. If you are buying a JVC you want an Oppo. Bits are NOT bits in this case.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
People are creating projector user profiles that allow external devices to make better HDR looks than the manufacturers are. Oppo decks do this better than anyone. If you are buying a JVC you want an Oppo. Bits are NOT bits in this case.
Bringing it back to the main topic then :) what’s that mean for would-be 4K projector buyers now that Oppo is defunct? (Even as I remain hopeful for an HTPC solution, I’ll buy a uhd player to be sure of good playback regardless.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
In recent reading of a 4k projector shootout, the $34k JVC RS4500 eShift projector is preferred to the $18k Sony 885 true 4K projector. What this shows is that projectors are still cost constrained and involve multiple whole-system design trades. And whatever deficiencies there are in a "fauxK" pixel system can be more than made up through higher quality lenses, electronics, digital processing, etc.

I don't know what will be out when I can really buy a 4K system, but given even very high end projectors are using dithering, I'll have to be open to that option -- not rule it out of hand -- with real research and hopefully good demos.

Dave, I’m working through this thread so I apologize if this has already been corrected for you. But the RS4500 is not eShift. That is JVC’s native 4K projector.

That being said, there have been many shootouts between JVC’s eShift projectors and Sony’s more “affordable” native 4K where the difference in detail from UHD BD is negligible at typical viewing distances. And that does go along with your observation above. All else being equal, of course we all would prefer and be better off with native vs pixel shifted 4K. But in reality the quality of the lens system used has a HUGE impact here.

Bringing the price of native 4K projectors down to we’re most here want means using a much less expensive lens elements.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That makes sense. As I’ve never had an upscaling device, I’ve never cared about it — and rarely watch DVDs since going HD — and have none of the other stuff, so an OPPO doesn’t get my attention.

I'm in a similar position regarding the audio formats but I still watch a ton of DVD's and am [perhaps] not quite as hopeful as you that a workable HTPC solution will materialize. Even if it does, as you stated, I would still want a good standalone player for when the HTPC decides not to cooperate. I figure if I'm going to buy a good 4K player I might as well buy what seems to be regarded as the best. I only wish I had done it sooner but who knew...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts on the JVC DLA-RS440U. Other than a [substantially] lower claimed contrast ratio, slightly lower lumens and lack of THX certification it appears to be the same as the 540. Since both projectors use identical light engines, sport dynamic irises and contrast measurements are full on/off, I'm wondering if the 440 might be good enough for a dedicated, light-controlled room, especially considering the 2K price difference.

I believe the 440 lacks the color filter present in the 540 and 640 which allows the projector to cover nearly the full P3 color space. It will still go significantly higher then rec. 709, but not quite as far as the mid and top tier models.

From what I understand, those with huge screens who are light challenged will sometimes choose not to use the color filter in order to gain back some lumens. And thy still report being satisfied with the UHD colors.

I believe JVC’s top RS4500 (native 4K) actually includes a UHD color mode option that does not use a filter specifically for this reason (more lumens vs higher percentage coverage of P3).

So while having the color filter and higher coverage of the P3 color space is preferable, I think the 440 still provides a very satisfying UHD color experience.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm in a similar position regarding the audio formats but I still watch a ton of DVD's and am [perhaps] not quite as hopeful as you that a workable HTPC solution will materialize. Even if it does, as you stated, I would still want a good standalone player for when the HTPC decides not to cooperate. I figure if I'm going to buy a good 4K player I might as well buy what seems to be regarded as the best. I only wish I had done it sooner but who knew...
4K media is supported with all audio formats(though I’ve read a few comments about audio hiccups with Atmos due to very high bitrates.) I think HDR10 works. Dolby Vision doesn’t work at all. So it’s not unworkable. But it’s not solved the way SD and HD mostly are.

If I can’t do HTPC, I’ll think very much about streaming. I kinda hate discs and Blu-ray players and the whole user hostile design of blu-ray playback. I’m so over “media shelves as decoration.” And streaming gives me the digital library I love about my HTPC.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If I can’t do HTPC, I’ll think very much about streaming. I kinda hate discs and Blu-ray players and the whole user hostile design of blu-ray playback. I’m so over “media shelves as decoration.” And streaming gives me the digital library I love about my HTPC.

You're being smart and thinking further ahead than I may be. For a good while now I do not expect to own very many 4K titles so I don't mind dealing with the physical discs. Of course, over the long term that may very well change but hopefully things will have improved on the HTPC and streaming fronts by then.

I also rather like discs as a last resort [and sometimes troubleshooting tool] when the HTPC or Media Center software misbehave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks