What's new

where are the original x-men cartoons on dvd? (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Now that BTAS is finally on the radar, The Tick is the one show that's not out that I want worse than any other (even more than Designing Women and The Golden Girls). The comedy was truly inspired and one can only hope that Disney raids the vaults after Gargoyles S1 blows the doors off. Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, X-Men, Spider-Man 90's, Spider-Man 80's and His Amazing Friends all need to see release. As super hot popular as 80s animation is right now, as the twenty somethings buy up their childhood, the market is obviously there!

Rhino has already realized the potential, now it's Disney's turn!

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I'm just hoping that when they do make season sets, they include No Mutant is an Island on season 3. I can't remember if it's supposed to be before or after Dark Phoenix, but Jean is thought to be dead in that episode. I know Jean went missing at the end of Phoenix, but I can't remember the ending of the TV Dark Phoenix. (I'm remembering too much of the comic version.)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I feel incredibly lucky to have kept the first three releases of the show, considering how we still don't have season sets.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
Season 1 (1992-1993)

Night Of The Sentinels, 2 Parts
Enter Magneto
Deadly Reunions
Captive Hearts
Cold Vengeance
Slave Island
The Unstoppable Juggernaut
The Cure
Come The Apocalypse
Days Of Future Past, 2 Parts
The Final Decision

Season 2 (1993-1994)

'Til Death Do Us Part, 2 Parts
Whatever It Takes
Red Dawn
Repo Man
X-Ternally Yours
Time Fugitives, 2 Parts
A Rogue's Tale
Beauty And The Beast
Mojovision
Reunion, 2 Parts

Season 3 (1994-1995)

Out Of The Past, 2 Parts
The Phoenix Saga: Part 1: Sacrifice
The Phoenix Saga: Part 2: Dark Shroud
The Phoenix Saga: Part 3: Cry Of The Banshee
The Phoenix Saga: Part 4: Starjammers
The Phoenix Saga: Part 5: Child Of Light
Obsession
Cold Comfort
Savage Land, Savage Heart, 2 Parts
The Dark Phoenix: Part 1 - Dazzled
The Dark Phoenix: Part 2 - Inner Circle
The Dark Phoenix: Part 3 - Dark Phoenix
The Dark Phoenix: Part 4 - The Fate Of Phoenix
Orphan's End
Juggernaut Returns
Nightcrawler
Weapon X, Lies, & Videotape

Season 4 (1995-1996)

Proteus, 2 Parts
Sanctuary, 2 Parts
Beyond Good And Evil, Part 1: The End Of Time
Beyond Good And Evil, Part 2: Promise Of Apocalypse
Beyond Good And Evil, Part 3: The Lazarus Chamber
Beyond Good And Evil, Part 4: End And Beginning
One Man's Worth, 2 Parts
Courage
Have Yourself A Morlock Little Christmas
The Lotus And The Steel
Love In Vain
Secrets No Longer Buried
Xavier Remembers
Family Ties

Season 5 (1996-1997)

The Phalanx Covenant, 2 Parts
A Deal With The Devil
No Mutant Is An Island
Longshot
Bloodlines
Storm Front, 2 Parts
Jubilee's Fairy Tale Theatre
Fifth Horseman
Old Soldiers
Descent
Hidden Agenda
Graduation Day

Terry St

Second Unit
Some of the 90's X-Men series have been released on DVD. (e.g. The Phoenix Saga) The full series definately needs a DVD release though. Disney is greedy so I'm sure it's inevitable. I wouldn't be surprised if the release coincides with X3 however.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I really want all of the 80's marvel stuff and the other 60's/70's stuff first but I'd buy the 90's shows of spidey, x-men, fantastic four, iron man and I really want to see the new version of silver surfer since I have'nt even seen it yet!!
But I think Disney as a company is the "Old Man" of the industry and they have their hands in too many areas and they just don't care about their media properties.
Certainly if Rhino had these series they would be out now because that's all they do is media releases!
I am really loving all the TF, GI JOE and Krofft sets Rhino is producing these days!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Due to various mergers, purchases, and takeovers, Buena Vista owns all cartoons with Marvel characters except for (according to this, and it sounds about right to me) the 1960s Fantastic Four (owned by Time Warner), X-Men: Evolution, and the recent MTV Spider-Man series.

X-M:Ev is also Time Warner, which means Warner Bros. And the MTV Spider-Man is Columbia.

The ownership of this X-Men version in particular came to Disney when they purchased the Fox Family Channel from Fox, and turned it into the ABC Family Channel. The Fox Kids lineup on Saturday mornings accompanied that purchase. The Fox Kids division included all items that had been put out by Haim Saban's company, which Fox had bought when Saban wanted to cash out and go to Israel and open a network there (Saban's from nearby; Egypt).

So Saban sells X-Men, Power Rangers, and other shows to Fox Kids. Fox sells Fox Kids and all its properties (including the animated version of The Tick, by the way) to Disney. Now Disney controls all that stuff...and in some cases doesn't seem to realize it. When they DO put something out from among those properties, it's usually a best-of that arrives just in time to tie in to a new motion picture (even if the film is from a competing studio). For example, Disney put this in-stores just in time for the release of Fox's X2 (and puts Spidey cartoon DVDs out whenever Sony releases a new Spidey sequel).

Disney is very likely to do the same thing again for X3...which is now delayed (along with the Logan's Run remake) because director Bryan Singer will first do Superman instead, according to reports I've heard.

So now's the time to pester Disney for season sets, so they can have them ready and tie them in with X3's release down-the-road. Call 1-800-72-DISNEY and request them! Don't mention the internet, though...just ask them if they are coming and tell them you'll buy season sets on DVD if released.

Note, though, that the Marvel lawsuit against Disney (see the first link in my post) might put a damper on the whole thing...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Wow, what was Fox smokin'? I imagine they're over there in the corner right now, kicking themselves. Just think how much money they could have made off of tie-in animation products with the X-Men movies. Disney is just as stupid for not maximizing the opportunity good fortune has dumped in their laps.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Looks like another, "The right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing" situation.

I didn't realise that that series went five seasons...

Jason

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Yep! That was the last of the golden age of Saturday mornin' cartoons when Fox was airing Spiderman, The X-Men and The Tick back to back to back.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
That would explain why Disney postponed the release of the Venom saga compilation that was suppose to be released around winter (Pre-Christmas)

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Here in the UK there are several Marvel cartoon discs released under the Fox Kids banner. I read somewhere that they're also due out in the USA by Summer 2005.

So far there's:

Captain America (1966) Vol 1 & 2

Iron Man (1966) Vol 1 & 2

Thor (1966) Vol 1 & 2

Sub-Mariner (1966) Vol 1 & 2

Avengers (1999) Vol 1 & 2

There's also a Disney "Jetix" slipcase boxset of all five Volume Ones, which was recently released for the price of three single discs. However, this seems to have been made an HMV exclusive at the last minute.

Each disc is about 84 minues long (ie five three-part episodes each).

Nice artwork on the packaging too, except Iron Man is not in his vintage costume. No real extras though.

I'm not sure why the Hulk 1966 episoodes haven't been released alongside. They would been a better fit with the other 60s titles than the modern Avengers series.

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator
The Tick is already out on DVD. At least in Canada. Or is there another version besides the live action Fox one from a few years back?
EDIT - - -Never mind. I found out that there was an animated series.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
quote:It's a classic and should be in season sets

Sho' Nuff'
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa