Where are the Layer changes on these DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Can someone direct me to where on these DVD's there is a layer change, if at all? I own these DVD's and would like to know for sure where the layer changes are. If know any of them, lemme know, thanx [​IMG]
    Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    GO
    Escape From NY
    Deliverance
    High Fidelity
    City of Industry
    Mississipi Burning
    Life Force
    Alien
    Freeway
    Matrix
    Gladiator
    Me, Myself & Irene
    Holy Smoke
    Jaws
    The Insider
    Close Encounters of the Third kind
    Clay Pigeons
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Runaway Train
    Chapter? In between chapters? In the middle?
    I am looking to see if my receiver will cause a dropout of the digital audio during a DVD layer change. Thanks for any info.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Try the Film Vault at DVDReview.com. It includes an extensive layer-change list.
    Adam

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Anyone know where it is on The Phantom Menace? If there is one, I haven't seen it in four viewings.

4. Anton Ruzic

Anton Ruzic Stunt Coordinator

"Escape from New York" and "Lifeforce" are single-layer discs.

Anton

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I've always wondered:

Who the heck cares where the layer-change is on a disc.? Especially if you cannot detect it?

Why do people want to know where it is?

I almost feel like I'm missing out on something by not understanding this insterest in where layer changes are!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    David,
    The initial poster is asking because he is not sure if he is experiencing layer changes or drop-outs from his hardware, so I am not sure the premise of your "who cares if you can't notice it" question works in this context. For the record, though, the answer is "almost nobody". [​IMG]
    Regards,

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Exactly. I guess since I haven't experienced a drop out yet, perhaps I won't notice it even if I play the layer change and pay attention. There has to be audio right away after the layer change.

Who really cares about Layer Changes? Not me. Not if I don't have to. Layer changes shouldn't be noticed. Its barely an interesting artifact of DVD production that there is a layer change and that it actual happens.

I am curious about DVD layer though, because I know nothing about DVD layers. How long is each layer of a DVD and what is the maximum number of DVD layers per DVD? Does it depend on the bitrate of the DVD? Total movie time of course?

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Well, in my case, I usually see the layer changes. I want to know if Phantom Menace has one, because I haven't seen it. I want to know if I've just missed it somehow, or if they just did a really great job with it.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thanks for the responses. Forgive my initial post if it sounded ruder than I intended; I was still sleepy when I posted it.

It wasn't meant as criticism, but as genuine curiosity. I suppose some irritation shone through as well, but it was directed at myself for not understanding the reason for the question.

I now "get it". It makes sense; I never thought of it that way. If I saw one distinct pause in the action, at or after the perceived halfway mark of the film, and it involved both audio and video, then I always assumed it was a layer change. Especially if I could duplicate it at the same spot on subsequent viewings.

Not everyone has the same perspective on it as I do; I suppose different equipment helps account for that.

Thanks again for answering the question. Cheers,