What's new

Where are the Layer changes on these DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Can someone direct me to where on these DVD's there is a layer change, if at all? I own these DVD's and would like to know for sure where the layer changes are. If know any of them, lemme know, thanx :)
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
GO
Escape From NY
Deliverance
High Fidelity
City of Industry
Mississipi Burning
Life Force
Alien
Freeway
Matrix
Gladiator
Me, Myself & Irene
Holy Smoke
Jaws
The Insider
Close Encounters of the Third kind
Clay Pigeons
Big Trouble in Little China
Runaway Train
Chapter? In between chapters? In the middle?
I am looking to see if my receiver will cause a dropout of the digital audio during a DVD layer change. Thanks for any info.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Anyone know where it is on The Phantom Menace? If there is one, I haven't seen it in four viewings.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've always wondered:

Who the heck cares where the layer-change is on a disc.? Especially if you cannot detect it?

Why do people want to know where it is?

I almost feel like I'm missing out on something by not understanding this insterest in where layer changes are!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
David,
The initial poster is asking because he is not sure if he is experiencing layer changes or drop-outs from his hardware, so I am not sure the premise of your "who cares if you can't notice it" question works in this context. For the record, though, the answer is "almost nobody". :)
Regards,

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. I guess since I haven't experienced a drop out yet, perhaps I won't notice it even if I play the layer change and pay attention. There has to be audio right away after the layer change.

Who really cares about Layer Changes? Not me. Not if I don't have to. Layer changes shouldn't be noticed. Its barely an interesting artifact of DVD production that there is a layer change and that it actual happens.

I am curious about DVD layer though, because I know nothing about DVD layers. How long is each layer of a DVD and what is the maximum number of DVD layers per DVD? Does it depend on the bitrate of the DVD? Total movie time of course?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, in my case, I usually see the layer changes. I want to know if Phantom Menace has one, because I haven't seen it. I want to know if I've just missed it somehow, or if they just did a really great job with it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the responses. Forgive my initial post if it sounded ruder than I intended; I was still sleepy when I posted it.

It wasn't meant as criticism, but as genuine curiosity. I suppose some irritation shone through as well, but it was directed at myself for not understanding the reason for the question.

I now "get it". It makes sense; I never thought of it that way. If I saw one distinct pause in the action, at or after the perceived halfway mark of the film, and it involved both audio and video, then I always assumed it was a layer change. Especially if I could duplicate it at the same spot on subsequent viewings.

Not everyone has the same perspective on it as I do; I suppose different equipment helps account for that.

Thanks again for answering the question. Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks