What's new

Wher to buy??? (1 Viewer)

JimHaskell

Grip
What are some good on-line stores to shop for HT speakers? I'm upgrading, and I want to comparison shop. Thanks for any links or info you can provide!

Jim

P.S. I was about to shop at Best Buy until I started browsing this forum. I understand their prices are higher than they should be.

They do have 0% financing for 3 years, and $150 gift card for spending over $999. So they are still attractive to me, but I'd like to do better if I can.

Thanks

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I don't recommend shopping for speakers online. The airline tickets to go hear them just get too expensive. Try local stores.

Actually, I recommend shopping in "high end" audio stores. You'll get to listen to much better speakers, and they only keep the good stuff to sell "used."

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Depends on what brand of speaker you want to buy.

I looked long and hard for my Jbls and wound up getting the E80 mains for $358 shipped for the pair from bhphoto.com

Bought my ec35 center for $150 from electronics-expo.com (bought at their B&M).

Decide what you want, then do some searches (froggle.com google.com) etc to find the best (don't forget about shipping).

Elinor

Supporting Actor
How do you know if it's "the best" if you don't listen to it before you buy it?

Or are you saying you do listen, just buy it from somewhere cheaper?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I am saying demo all you are interested in, then shop online for the best price (and reliable-sometimes-authorized if need be) online vendor.

I went with JBL over Fluance for that reason. Had a certain price range, onlya few decent manufactures were in that range. Went to demo Infinity primus 250;s, hated them (even for $99 ea.), listened to the JBL's, liked them A LOT, shopped online for the best price (able to get a pair Delivered from online, authorized vendor) for less the bestbuy was selling 1 speaker before tax for.

Nhan_H

Second Unit

Why do you have to buy airline tickets to listen to online speakers?

Also, I agree with listening to before buying, but I don't think he can afford a 5.1 package at a high end store. From the looks of his first post, he's looking to spend about $1000.

John S

Senior HTF Member
My suggestion.. Decide on the speakers you want, then price shop them on the internet. Then decide if the price is good taking into account Sales Tax -vs- Shipping.

best of luck....

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
Demo'ing in a store (even boutique's) is of little value to me. I need to demo in my home with my equipment and this is what internet direct is best at. If they don't work for me, I'm only out the cost of shipping two speakers back. That's a small price to pay for the ability to audition speakers in my home. Many high end boutiques won't allow in home on mid-fi gear without a lot of hassle. I don't need the hassle.
If the speakers work, then order the rest of the set-up. Ascend and AV123 will still give the package price once you've made up your mind. That's what works for me. YMMV.

David

RyanJE

Second Unit
If you want to demo in Home try out Aperion and Axiom. They let you demo at home and return free if you dont likem. They also offer more bang for your buck since they are internet direct.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I have read although I can't speak from personal experience that Axiom will not allow you to get package pricing unless you order the entire package at one time. This makes auditions much more expensive since you have to return more than two or three speakers.
I haven't heard what Aperion policy is.

David

RyanJE

Second Unit
Also, I havent heard these myself but they get super reviews. There the Ventriliquist by Hsu at Hsuresearch.com
Id recommend the STF-3 If you have a medium to large room. Ive heard this sub and it sounds amazing. Sorry about the satellites though. But for under 1000 this seems to be a great matched deal..

RyanJE

Second Unit
I believe Aperion is totally free returns, but search there policys on their site, You should be able to find it.

Also I own Fluance speakers...so if you have any questions.

What kinda budget you workin with?

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Aperion does indeed allow you to return for free if you don't like their speaker after 30 days. Also there is no shipping or sales tax. A 10 year transferrable warrenty and 3 year warrenty on their amps. Very good customer service and simply "Good People" over there.

www.aperionaudio.com

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"Aperion does indeed allow you to return for free if you don't like their speaker after 30 days."

That is one serious trial offer. My hats off to Aperion.
:emoji_thumbsup:

David

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,
you didn't say your budget.
if you can afford it, check out Jim Salk:
http://www.salksound.com/htshome.html
i chose the HTS-MTMs for my front 3 channels and the quality for the price is way beyond what's available from bricks and mortar.
world class drivers, custom crossovers, beautiful cabinets and a $ back guaranty.
Jim is a pleasure to work with and keeps you posted every step of the way.
best,
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks