What's new

When will XP be replaced? (1 Viewer)

MichaelBryant

Stunt Coordinator
It seems like every two or three years Microsoft replaces their operating system. Since it's been about a year and a half since XP came out is there a new OS on the horizon? Any rumors about what it will be called or how it will be improved?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Next release will come in about 3 years right after most of the "sign this or face a piracy suit" contracts run out. :D

John Watson

Screenwriter
My PCworld magazine that arrived today says it will be called Longhorn.

Sounds like Bill wants to stick it to the world again.:)

MichaelBryant

Stunt Coordinator
Ewww! Bill looks creepy in that photo at the top of the article. For some reason this guy gives me the creeps. He looks small and scrawny but his face always looks like he's hiding something.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I've read that Microsoft expects to release 3 products based upon WinXP this year. I don't know what exactly that means (perhaps they'll release a retail version of XP Media Center Edition?).

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Longhorn is the codename. I don't know about the real name, it would seem like a good idea if they could stick with XP...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I don't know...a whole range of operating systems named after cows might be just what the PC world needs. Let's put Microsoft's marketing prowess to the test.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've read that Microsoft expects to release 3 products based upon WinXP this year.
They might mean Windows Server 2003 which supposedly will ship this year. I think it's based on the XP core. But I count at least four different versions of it: standard, enterprise, datacenter, and web hosting.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I would suspect that a 64-bit home edition OS will be on its way after one more XP variant. The vairant will be as forgettable as ME.

Hey it's just speculation so why not go 64-bit. The Hammer's are on their way.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
"Longhorn" is a rowdy yuppy bar somewhere in the northwest. That is where Microsoft got the name.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like how the Atari 2600 got the project name "Stella"-- she was the woman in the office with the nicest breasts.

-V

Jim_F

Screenwriter
What a campaign that could be...

"There's no need to ruminate over which operating system to choose...Microsoft would never steer you wrong!"

"Once you try our software, you'll never 'Angus out to dry!"

"To err is human, to self-correct is bovine."

(Sorry, sometimes working the midnight shift takes its toll.)

John Swarce

Second Unit
XP's codename was Whistler.

Jim, you'll have to come up with some campaign slogans Microsoft could have used....

I beta tested XP (and ME) for about a year before it was released to the general public. I expect that I will get an invitation to join the next beta (for Longhorn)
I must have a ten-gallon hat kicking around here somewhere! :p)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Hehe Longhorn a bar yes, yuppy no, its a decent country style resteraunt in the huge town of Auburn:) hehe pretty good food but not a yuppy establishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks