What's new

When Trumpets Fade: An overlooked DVD/Film? (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Being a fan of WWII films, and WWII history in general, I have seen my fair share of war films. I had heard about When Trumpets Fade, an HBO original film, around the time Private Ryan came out, but never had a chance to see it. With Band of Brothers on DVD approaching, I had a hankering to check out this other HBO offering. I just ordered the DVD, and wondered what your opionions are on the film and the quality of the DVD.

Most reviews I have read have been very positive--many consider this to be a excellent film, overlooked by most.

Comments?

Thanks.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I love this movie; I probably have watched it 10 times.

Some folks may not like it because it's full-frame, but it is OAR, because it's made for TV.

I'm a Ron Eldard fan, liked him when he was on E.R.. very underated and underused, IMHO.

This movie doesn't have the glitz and big production values of SPR, but it's realistic enough. Kinda ironic that the battle (Hurtgen Forest) that it's based on was overshadowed by the Bulge, just as this movie is by SPR.

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this a long time ago so I dont remember alot of details. I do remember that the movie was fair although nothing compaired to SPR.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
In many of the books I've read on WWII it's been mentioned how devastating and versatile the German 88MM gun was. "When Trumpets Fade" is the first film I've seen that adequately portrays this beast of a weapon in action.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I found this dvd the other day in Wal-Mart for $5.99. Definitely a decent dvd for the money. WWII buffs will appreciate it.

Cary_H

Second Unit
I am a bit of a military history buff and sometimes take issue with directors not doing their homework, dumbing down, or "Hollywoodizing" war movies, as I call it, to appeal to the masses.
I found this one better than most.
One note with regard to German 88s, 8.8 cm as the Germans referred to them as. I used to work with a guy who turned gun barrels for the Nazi war effort when he was in his early 20s during the war. He had some pretty good stories.
I've also worked with quite a number of WWII RCN, RN, and Merchant Marine vets whose stories would make your heads spin.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Good movie. Definitely worth a purchase for WWII buffs.

And poor Frank Whaley: He gets killed in WTF AND A Midnight Clear. Maybe he should avoid WWII flicks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks