What's new

When are they gonna make THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If I could make one book into a film... the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be that film. For a while, there were many rumors that it was in the works... which have since fallen to the wayside.
Just think of the possibilities... you have 6 (if they release the book Douglas Adams was writing before his death) viable motion pictures. It could become a franchise! (In my dreams) Americans traditionally love Sci-Fi (Star Wars) and comedy (movies like American Pie) and HGTTG would combine BOTH.
...but... alas. Guess I will just have to pick up the DVD of the TV Series and hope for the best. :frowning:
The answer is 42... but what is the question? :D

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I thought this was coming. Wasn't Jay Roach or someone doing this?

Getting this AND a Red Dwarf movie would definitely be cool.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Americans traditionally love Sci-Fi (Star Wars) and comedy (movies like American Pie) and HGTTG would combine BOTH.

Yes, but do most love SF and British comedy? An American production company would say "no" and would ruin/miss the point of HHGTTG.

That Doctor Who movie fiasco is all the proof that's needed.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Didn't it get sold to Disney and then Adams had to buy the rights back off them to stop them destroying it?

Personally I am not at all sure this would make a brilliant movie. It was never given the scope of a movie IMO.

At least we have Peter Jones recorded so if they ever did decide to film it they could use his voice on the stuff that comes from the radio. He *is* the book...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You have the same chance of seeing a hollywood HHGTG movie as you do of seeing movie versions of "DiscWorld".

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Speaking of DiscWorld/Pratchett... I just looked on iMDB, and Terry Gilliam is directing Good Omens for 2003??? AWESOME!!!!!

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Terry Gilliam is directing Good Omens for 2003???
According to an interview with Gilliam I read recently(I'll try and find out where) financing on Good Omens has fallen through.:frowning: The good news is that, from what I can gather, The Defective Detective might be his next project.:emoji_thumbsup:
Richard

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'm breathing a sigh of relief that Gilliam isn't doing 'Good Omens' - a rather lighter touch than Gilliam's is required for that particular book. How about the chap who's just done Amelie? He would be perfect.

I'm not sure that either the Discworld novels or HGTTG is realisable on film. Both require a lot of narrative to work well and removing or minimising this leaves the plots (generally pretty thin, at least in Pratchett's case) to carry the day.

I should however add that if a movie were made of either a Discworld novel or HGTTG I'd be first in the queue.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I for one really hope Good Omens gets made. Looking forward to it.
As for the Guide, yeah, probably a pipe dream, but I would really love to see this greenlighted.
Don't Panic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks