What's new

When are the XBox ports gonna stop? (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
I just picked up an X-Box with DOA3 this week. I popped the game in using plain ole composite video connections and my jaw promptly dropped to the ground. The snow level in DOA3 threw me into a state of stunned paralysis. I knew I had made the right decision over PS2. In fact, I hadden seen graphics this beautiful on a PC!

I then proceeded to pick up NFL 2K2 and NBA Live 2002. Boy was let down after seeing DOA3. It turns out, upon further reading, these two games were ported over from other systems. It was obvious these games did not utilise the true graphics capabilites of the XBox and were only slightly better than their PS2 counterparts (from online screen shots). I still love playing them, but I must admit I am disappointed that they don't approach the level of DOA3.

So I wonder if games are going to continue to be co-developed for other systems (PS2, Gamecube) and become limited by those systems, thereby not completely using the power of the X-Box. I realize there are some exclusive XBox games (Halo, RSC) that are graphically on a higher level. But I fear some of the more console-common games which I will buy in the future (Madden Series, NFL 2K series, NBA 2K series, Triple Play Series) will be limited by the limitations of the other systems. Your thoughts?

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello Steven,

I noticed that you have NFL 2K2 and NBA Live 2002. I love sports games, but mostly for the multiplayer element...I am less concerned about realism. Knowing that I have an Xbox and that a game designed for the Xbox will probably take better advantage of the hardware potential I bought NFL Fever, NBA Inside Drive and NHL Hitz. I find all of these games to be a ton of fun and they all have beautiful graphics.

If you want superior graphics, stick with the games designed for the Xbox or at least the games that are designed to take advantage of the hardware.

Worst case scenario, you buy a game ported from the PS2 and it only looks as good as it did on the PS2...not a bad option for a game you really enjoy.

Thanks,

Jeff

StevenK

Second Unit
WSB an XBox exclusive? SWEET! I played WSB 2K1 to death on the Dreamcast. Can't wait!

Great suggestion on the NFL Fever and NBA Inside Drive...I'll give those a look. I really do like NFL 2K2 for the playability and physics...just wish graphics were up to par.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Camp I couldn't agree more :) Shame on you EA, its as bad as special edition to Ultimate special edition DVDs. :thumbsdown:
to cheap ass no improvment ports. EA should look at SH2, see how a port should be done.
Dean

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
EA is my number 1 most hated game company out there, followed very closely by another Trip Hawkins creation 3DO, if I see another Army Man game I will scream.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Steven - I think NFL Fever is very playable and realistic enough while still being fun. Offense is very realistic, especially on the harder settings. Defense in all the football games is pretty pathetic. Most of the gaming sites have given it higher scores then Madden...I'm not sure about NFL 2k2.

NBA Inside Drive is so much fun and the players actually look like the players. Beautiful graphics.

Enjoy,

Jeff

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, porting from the XB to another console is more difficult than from another console to XB, so they set one console as the standard to start the game on, then port it. They did it with SSX Tricky (PS2 to XB/GCN) and some EA games already. Special Editions have added modes or enhanced graphics, so they will generally look good, but if a game is set to be released at the same time on all 3 consoles (or at least 2) they will generally make it for the weaker one and then port it.

StevenK

Second Unit
Ummm...Morgan,

that's exactly the problem that I wish EA Sports wouldn't pull. The question is when they are gonna stop this madness. My guess is never.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
For as long as the PS2 is the dominant platform, it'll be the main concern for ports. Simple as that. Get used to it.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
BrianB,

Why such a confrontational tone? Are you trying to incite another boring, repetitive and meaningless fanboy debate about what console is the better choice?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edit (BrianB - On a more friendly level - I tried the Baked Ziti recipe on your site...turned out great, thanks for sharing)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Well what Brian is saying is true, and to me that's a great reason not to support those games. I'd rather play Amped instead of Tricky, Inside Drive instead of NBA Live, Halo instead of the horrid Agent Under Fire, and maybe Fever instead of EA's football game (didn't get a fb game this year, waiting for online support). Let's face reality and support original Xbox-designed games with our wallets.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I don't think BrianB's being mean, he's just tired as I am of people complaining about ports, fanboys, etc....it's a fact of the videogame world, you develope your title on the platform in which you imagine it having the biggest target market, then if its a success there you port it over to other systems. But then the game could have no success on a platform and then get ported to another platform and boom have success....the market is so fickle its very hard to predict what is going to be a hit and what is going to flop.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Perhaps I misread Brian's post. If I did, I apologize for my overreaction. It was the simple as that, get use to it comment that got to me. I don't consider this to be a simple issue and I don't like being told to get use to someone else's opinion. My problems with authority have been well documented since high school :)
Thanks,
Jeff
PS - As I said before, I don't mind ports from other platforms as long as the game is good. Give me a port of GTA3 any day...don't care if they change a thing. I'm sure PS2 owners wouldn't mind a port of Halo, DOA3, Rallisport Challenge, etc. More options is almost always a good thing.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't being mean or confrontational. Just stating the facts. Ports aren't going to go away. The PS2 is by far the dominant platform right now, and it's where most publishers will make the bulk of their profits in cross platform games.
The fact that it's the oldest technology & the most 'difficult' to get the best results out of doesn't help.
And Jeffrey, glad you liked the ziti ;) I've got a whole bunch of recipes sitting on my machine at home waiting to be put up - mainly recipes from my mother back in Scotland instead of my mother-in-law's Italian themed ones.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
if I see another Army Man game I will scream

Armey Men RTS isn't all that bad, and made by Pandemic Studios, who did the Dark Reign and Battlezone series.

But I agree, they really overdid it. As long as they continue to support High Heat Baseball though, they are allowed some forgiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks