What's new

What's your favorite PSX RPG? (1 Viewer)

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Xenogears kind of long but amazing story, love, tragedy, loss, betrayal.

And of course giant fighting robots always a sign of a quality game.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I've got a very soft spot for the Suikoden series. Also loved Final Fantasy IX. Hated FF VII and FF VIII. The Lunar and FF reissues were fun also.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Here's my favorites in order:

1. Chrono Cross - Not quite as good as Chrono Trigger (my favorite game on any system of all time) but still incredible

2. Xenogears

3. Final Fantasy IX

4. Grandia

5. Final Fantasy VII

...Last Place. Final Fantasy VIII - Oh how I hated this game!

I'm not counting Lunar, Lunar 2, FF 4-6 or Chrono Trigger, since they are just ports. I've got them all and enjoy them, but they are still ports. Here's hoping the PS2 starts getting some decent RPGs. They haven't yet, but FFX and Xenosaga both look promising, as does Kingdom Hearts.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Final Fantasy 8
One of the main reasons is that this was the FIRST RPG game I ever played (my wife played it too). This is what got us started on the whole Final Fantasy kick.
We can't wait for part 10.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I was a big fan of Final Fantasy 8. I thought it was the best of the PSX Final Fantasy games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh jeez, my list... (in no particular order)

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Vagrant Story

Brave Fencer Musashi

Parasite Eve

Final Fantasy Anthology

Yes, I like Square.

I really liked FF8 after I went back and played it a second time. I realized how good the game actually was. The soundtrack, the graphics, the story, the characters, and the battle system were so deep and complex that it felt like more than a game. The only weak spot was that some characters were stereotyped and acted like it, which made them look shallow. This is probably the only videogame with an ending that I will watch on a regular basis because of how good it is.

Then again, my favorite is FFIX.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I really liked FF8 after I went back and played it a second time. I realized how good the game actually was. The soundtrack, the graphics, the story, the characters, and the battle system were so deep and complex that it felt like more than a game. The only weak spot was that some characters were stereotyped and acted like it, which made them look shallow. This is probably the only videogame with an ending that I will watch on a regular basis because of how good it is.
I completely agree with that paragraph. I know many die-hard fans of Final Fantasy are not fans of 8, but I love it. I think I actually recorded the ending on VHS, but can't remember which tape I put it on.

I will also second Parasite Eve.

Watch the movie, it's also cool.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
My favourite PSX RPG's are:

1. Lunar 1 and 2

2. Xenogears

3. Final Fantasy VII

4. Star Ocean: Second Story

5. Chrono Cross

6. Grandia

7. Suikoden

Nathan A

Second Unit
I like the traditional RPGs as well, but I had a ton of fun with Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of starting a "Favorite Final Fantasy Game" thread, but was sort of wary. Anyone think we should get one started?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Chrono Trigger

Vagrant Story

Lunar: Eternal Blue

Lunar: Silver Story Complete

As much as I like the Final Fantasy series, the only problem I had with the games were the characters. They simply possessed frustrations that are just plain hard to understand or identify with.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Xenogears is the best, in my opinion. Final Fantasy Tactics was brilliant as well, horrific translation aside. Both these games are being republished as budget titles, I believe.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Xenogears (still waiting for the full 'directors cut')

Chrono Cross

FF VII

Lunar: Silver Star

FF VIII

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Yeah, FF Tactics rocked. FFVII absolutely owned me for a few months, but I still find myself popping in FFT and experimenting with all the different job classes once in a while (how the heck did I beat the game the first time without those wonderful Calculators???).
Didn't care for FF8 as much, and I liked Parasite Eve although I don't think I ever actually played all the way through. Sadly, now that my Xbox is here, I have to say farewell to Square... :frowning:
Oh, well. Here's hoping Project Ego and Morrowind turn out well.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
My all time favorites, lets see:

1. Lunar SSS 1

2. Lunar SSS 2

3. Legend Of Dragoon

4. Chrono Cross

5. Wild Arms 1

6. Saga Frontier 2

Call me crazy, I love Square games, I'm nut nit big on the Final Fantasy games.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have to say that FF9 was one of the best-except for falling apart in the ending it was a great game. 8 gets a lot of flack, but I thought that the junction system was really unique, and had a lot of fun experimenting with different combinations (attack+100 Death=Fun).

I see a lot of people mentioning Xenogears though, and here's something I just don't get. I've started the game a couple of times now, and I just can't understand what's so great about it. I've gotten about 10 hours into it, and while the story looks interesting, there are some BIG problems. First, the Anime dubbing is terrible-square has done well to stay away from this with FF games. Second, the combat system is INCREDIBLY boring-moreso with the giant robots. I wanted to find out how the story went, but not at the expense of these big flaws...

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
My Top 5:
1. Dragon Quest IV (Dragon Warrior IV in the U.S.)
The best of the Dragon Quest series so far, and my best RPG ever. The story was excellent and had the most depth of all the Dragon Quests. Gameplay was excellent as well, with a nice blend of exploring and battles. I can't wait to pick up the PlayStation remake in a couple months when I go to Japan.
2. Final Fantasy VI
Great story, great characters, great music, great gameplay, lots of secrets - what more can you ask for?
3. Final Fantasy VII
Blew me away - made me buy a PlayStation.
4. Final Fantasy V
The game that got me into the FF series - the ending is most memorable for me.
5. Final Fantasy X
Didn't quite blow me away as VII but still worthy. A very solid game - faster and more strategic battles, good story, great graphics.
Geez, this top 5 is mostly FF! How did that happen? :)
I don't have high expectations of Square anymore, though - I knew things were going to go bad for them after FFVIII and a lot of other mediocre stuff was released. FFX was the exception, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks