What's new

What's up with Newform Research? (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
These speakers seem to be very well regarded from what I can tell from the limited number of reviews I've read. Does anyone own these things? If so, what has your experience been?

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
If you're in to home theater, they don't really lend themselves to a center channel. In fact, they tout running a phantom center, which limits their appeal. Additionally, they're rather awkward looking, take up a lot visual space, and rear channel placement can be a chore. Thus they're really best in a dedicated two channel setup which limits their market.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Do you have any idea how they sound, though? I have been running a phantom center for a couple years now, so that's not a big deal to me. They are kinda goofy looking, but I can deal......I'm just looking to find other stuff to consider instead of just defaulting to bigger Magnepans. I have MMGs now and will probably end up just moving to either the 1.6 or 3.6, but I'd like to at least look at a few alternatives before making the decision. My only issue with the Maggies is the off-axis horizontal dispersion. I may be able to remedy that with their new center channel, but if particular model speaker can do it w/out the use of a center I'd like to add it to my short list. So far I have the Gallo Reference 3, bigger Maggies, and some Bohlender-Graebener 520's.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
if you are looking for that transparent "ribbon" sound, then you need to check these out:
http://www.salksound.com/htshome.html
Jim Salk is a pleasure to work with and offers a $ back guaranty.
i wanted maggies or electrostats for my front soundstage but could't handle the waf or cost factors.
i now have the Salk HTS-MTMs and the ht sound is superb.
Jim offers custom designs at reasonable prices.
best,
eric

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
dont worry about center channels. most planar/ribbon owners rely on phantom centers (myself included). it you have a big enough soundstage, it works just fine. better than most centers IMO if dont right.

ive heard good things about the nearfield acoustics, but never personally heard them. if you are looking for that type of speaker, there is always magnepan too... they are cheaper, but dont go nearly as low. but the extra money freed up could be used for a sub, or pair of subs.

just a thought.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Robert, I agree about the Maggies.....I actually have been running their MMGs for the past few months.....quite happy with them, actually. Just looking around a bit before I upgrade them.....I may just stick with the Maggies, but want to be certain I've put together a good short list of demos before I drop the coin.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
Alan,

definately. do not ever rely on these forums for concrete advice. er, wait... hehe. just get out there and listen to stuff. however, you can definately get used maggies on audiogon or whatever. i have a pretty tuned system that ive spent MANY hours and a lot of cash setting up.

i got my current speakers (magnepan tympani 1D's off audiogon for $1k even) are one of the best ive heard, once you spend the time to set them up correctly in the right room.

i work for a high-end audio store, and just just introduced the new B&W speakers. i can honestly say that if someone GAVE me a pair of 802D's ($12k for the pair), they wouldnt even get unboxed. i would sell them immediately. they arent in the same league as mine (considering im using a sub with my speakers). there are some things maggies VERY well that other speakers cant even dream of doing.

for isntance, im listening to alice in chains unplugged. the guitars sound so crisp and clean, they just plain sound real. the speakers are completely transparent, the guitar is just THERE, it sounds the same as a real guitar being played in my room.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Robert:

I couldn't agree more......similar to your Alice in Chains example, I've found the same thing with HT. The realism has been completely different for me.....there is detail and presence of the film that wasn't there before, and that's just with the MMGs.

but yeah, I will definitely listen to my short list before making a decision. And kind of like what you said about not even unpacking the B&Ws, a speaker would have to be clearly superior than the Maggies to get me to even consider switching.

Anyway, thanks again for your responses :)

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
AlanZ,
no offense taken. i've been a planar/ribbon guy for years. i'm just excited that Jim Salk has brought affordable ribbons to ht.
i'm enthusiastic about my new Salk HTS-MTM mains and how well they mate to my modded LX5 dipole surrounds (with lineum ribbon tweeters). ribbons are tough to match up; they have that characteristic airy, transparent sound.
in any case, i am just trying to share my good fortune at finding Jim.
i'm working on a full review. i'll tone it down a bit and until then.
best,
eric

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Eric:
Nothing wrong with being excited about your speaker purchase.....I was just beginning to wonder if you were on the payroll lol

Happy listening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks