Paradigm Advice--New System with some $$

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_D_A, Feb 15, 2001.

1. James_D_A

James_D_A Auditioning

I will purchase a new speaker system soon, but first some background on what I will be setting up/already have:
    Equipment already in hand:
    -Rotel RSP-985 THX Ultra PreAmp
    -Rotel 991 and 993 Amps at 200Wpc into 8 Ohms
    -Bettercables.com Premium Interconnects
    -Infocus LP350 Projector at 1300 ANSI Lumens and 1024x768XGA with DLP
    Room for system:
    -Unfinished 14ft * 20ft (no ceiling yet, paint, or even doors)
    Speaker time!:
    Research and background:
    - I have been researching speakers for about 2 months. NewForms look interesting, but after hearing a friends, they are simply not what I want (personal pref I guess). So, I continue looking and find Dunlavy's at a local shop. These things sound pretty darn good (wonderful imaging in the "sweet spot", good clarity, etc.). The problem with the Dunlavy's (besides their price/performance) is the extremely narrow sweet spot--I will have many people listening to music/watching movies in this room. Therefore, Dunlavy's seem out of the question.
    - I also listened to B&W's, but their price performance is way out of line. I didn't even like the sound until we were looking at $14,000 for center/main/rears. That is JUST the speakers. Now, I could afford that, but sure as heck don't want to come near that price point.
    Paradigms to the "rescue":
    - I already own a set of Paradigms (Denon 2801/CC-350/Monitor 7's/Mini Monitors for rear). I like these speakers a fair amount, but they seem to lack the reference quality I desire. So, I go to my local dealer and audition some speakers for a friend (he buys the Studio 40's). Anyway, I listen to the Studio 100's and feel blown away in the price/performance category. Then, I listen to the 40's and am even more blown away! The 40's had such a better image than the 100's. However, the 100's were NOT broken in. This leads (finally I know) to my questions:
    1) Do the 100's sound appreciably better than the 40's after they (the 100's) are broken in? They sounded sloppy and slow to me, but so did my Monitor 7's for the first 100 hours. Appreciably better means: better imaging, soundstage, and "belief" in the music.
    2) Considering the power of my components (200Wpc and all THX Ultra), would the 40's be "underkill" or would the 100's need even more power?
    3) Subwoofers: The servo 15 is kick a**! It sounds great to me. Would anyone suggest getting one servo-15 over perhaps two PW-2200's? Would any other subs provide better musicality, while maintaining the ability to rock the house in HT?
    4) Anyone have any comments on a brand to check out that are similarly priced to the Paradigms that would provide better (not equal) performance? (NHT does not count for me, as their "reference" line cost WAY more).
    Well, if you have read to here, I thank you! I tend to write a lot once I get started....
    I welcome opinions, experiences, or just random thoughts (you type too much, etc.)
    James

2. James_D_A

James_D_A Auditioning

Heh. Whoops, wrong forum.... Guess my newbie status in this froum is showing.
    Sorry about my screw up!