What's new

What's the sound of a xbox controller rumble? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Playing Halo, it's rumbling only from the righthand side & seems to be "whiny" & ineffective. It's nothing like the rumble I remember. Sound like a damaged controller?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nope.

Brought the joypad & Halo into work today, so I'll compare/contrast between it & a spare joypad. Playing Aggressive Inline this morning, it really didn't feel "correct" - the rumble was definitely all from one side, and I'm pretty sure the XBox controllers have two motors in them for rumble.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Sounds like a defective controller, Brian. The Xbox controller does indeed have two rumble motors, and the rumble is well-balanced across the controller. I have the originals, the S-controllers, and some Japanese controllers and I am using controller extensions, and all of them rumble just fine...sounds like you've got a bad egg there...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Bah.

I wonder if GameStop will exchange it for a S-controller. It's the pack-in regular one :-/

Dan B

Screenwriter
The Xbox controller also has a high frequency mildly noisy sound/vibration that it can make at times (especially noticeable in Halo when you are on the ship at the beginning). This might be normal.

//back to lurking mode//

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
That's /exactly/ what I'm talking about Dan!
Problem solved :) I just tried it out on a devkit with T1 and its rumble performed exactly the same as the worn-in controller.
Seems I'm worrying about nothing.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
A little late, but I just thought I'd throw in that the two rumble motors are of different size, so there is also a difference in feel between the two.

-Dave

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
heh, when I saw the subject to this thread, I thought someone might be trying to get the frequency range for the rumble signal transmitted. It'd be sweet if someone took the time to figure out a way to tap the rumble signal and route it to bass shakers (in the couch) :)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Does the controller extension hinder the rumble?
Also, has anyone heard if that the extensions could damage the Xbox controllers in any way??

Thanks,
Calvin

Lee L

Supporting Actor
My in the box controller seems to not rumble as much as my S controller. For a rumble that starts low and gets more aggressive, the S always starts rumbling first, way before the regular. At peak rumble they seem to be roughly equal. Is this normal?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, can you turn the rumble off? I've never liked this "feature", and my hands are twitchy enough when I'm playing a game.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I believe the TRCs for both platforms insist each game has the option to disable rumble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks