What's new

Sega GT 2002, initial impressions (1 Viewer)

Scott "E"

Second Unit
As promised here are my impressions of Sega GT after 4 hours of solid playtime.
Control
I figure this is the most important aspect of any racing game, so I'll start here. The word overhaul will come to mind if you played the original Sega GT. Not that the control in the first was horrible, it's just that it took a good amount of time to get used to it and this led to a lot of disappointed gamers. Well, gamers rejoice, WOW Entertainment has made one of, if not the best handling racer yet. Every car handles as you would expect it to, a NSX will be very responsive and precise and a 1970 Vette is very good at doing 360's :D The control is on par with Gran Turismo and Rally Sport Challenge, and IMO is the best of the 3.
AI
This is one part of the game I didn't really know what to expect going in. Well, this is the part that I feel makes this game really shine. If you've ever played any of the Gran Turismo games, then you will be shocked to see that the cars in Sega GT actually respond when there are other cars near them. It's great to see an AI car come speeding up behind you and actually trick you into thinking their going one way only to be fooled when they go the other. They will also try to avoid hitting you if you obviously have the advantage going into a turn. You'll also notice them actually racing each other, very cool.
Graphics
There are both high points and low points to be found here. I'll start with the low points. If you drive off the road and into the dirt or grass, you get absolutely no visual sign that you have, what's up with that? The only other complaint would be that the effect they use to try to give you a better sense of speed.. When I first saw it I thought there was something wrong with my disk, only to find out that there wasn't. I haven't gone back to the options yet to see if there is an option to turn this off. Still the racing game with the best sense of speed is Moto GP, that blur effect is incredible.
Now the high points. The interface is a huge improvement over the original, with a simple but clean look that allows for easy menu navigation. The overall look of the game is very impressive, although I still give the edge to Rally Sport as the prettiest overall racer on the Xbox. The car models are by far the best you will see on any platform, there has got to be a ton of polys on each model. The environments all look good, they could of used a little more attention here, although some courses don't need any attention at all, there gorgeous. It's not enough to affect the overall look, besides who has time to look at the surroundings when you're trying to keep that NSX off your butt :D There is also 480p and 16x9 support.
Audio
Oh the power of Dolby Digital. Once again we get treated to a game with great use of directional sound. You really come to appreciate this when you've got a Skyline coming up on your left side and have a Vette on the right, you can actually tell the difference between the rumble of the Vette's V8 and the whistle of the Skylines turbo, priceless. A feature that should be standard for any racer on the Xbox is supported here, the use of user created soundtracks. The overall sound in the game is top notch and IMO is the new king of the best audio in an Xbox racer, the previous king being Moto GP.
Gameplay
This is the most impressive part of the game and what IMO makes it a AAA title. I'll say this, if you want to compare Sega GT to GT3, Sega GT IMO is more of a sim than GT3 is. You'll actually develop a sense of ownership of the car. The harder you race your car the quicker certain parts (engine, breaks, etc.) are going to wear out, but don't worry, you won't be overhauling parts every 2 races and the prices are reasonable. Damage, although not visible will effect the way your car handles during a race, you'll find yourself driving more defensively to avoid losing to much money in repair bills. I also love the garage, you can take 6 pictures during the replay of your last race, you can then pick 1 of the 6 pictures to hang in your garage. All the trophies and awards you win are also displayed in the garage, heck you can even buy plants and things to decorate it. If there is one part that needs work it is in the number of tracks, I've counted 8 so far, 9 if you include the drag race. The tracks themselves though are great, plenty of places to pass, great transitions and very good flow.
Conclusion
When all is said and done, Sega GT IMO has lived up to the hype and actually surprised me in some areas. From the outstanding audio and almost human AI, to the precise control and the sense of owning the car, Sega GT is a game that deserves to be in your Xbox game library.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Fantastic review Scott! I'm gonna pick this game up tomorrow if my local Best Buy gets it in. I can't wait.

paul e.

Agent
all i can say is my copy better be here today. i was kinda of worried about lack of cars and tracks but i'm pretty sure we will see more tracks, maybe more cars as an add on disc (maybe even xbox live support).

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
MY initial impressions were of disappointment.

The graphics/image, I thought, was too soft. I don't have a problem with "soft" images, but when they're too soft I do.

The cars and environments have a very washed out look to them in the color department, not bright and vibrant like in GT3. The cars do not match the level of detail as those seen in GT3. The cars in SEGA GT 2002 don't look real to me. In GT3, they do (IMO).

On the other hand, the gameplay seemed pretty decent based on the quick few laps I ran yesterday.

But overall, RIGHT NOW...I'm a little disappointed.

My PS2 and XBOX consoles are calibrated with AVIA on my set-up, using S-video for both as well.

Richard_c

Agent
Is there dynamic weather ?, real time clock or is it fixed time of day per track ? & finally, is there a 3d cockpit view or bonnet view option ?. I ask because i've not seen them mentioned in any previews i've read, i'm hoping there will be an improvement in these options over GT-3.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
sounds delicious.. makes me want an Xbox. that and Halo2 :D
**Sigh** if i only had the money... well i do, but i got other things to spend it on :P

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Thought I'd post a few tips for everyone.

First, don't rush into getting your licenses. Unlike GT3, as you get the higher licenses the competition will also get stronger and you can't equip a lower class license. I've stayed at the B class now for the past 3 days just maxing out the cars I have now and will probably get the C class license this evening.

Second, in order to get the special prize in races you can't be leading after the first lap. The trick seems to be in third place after the first lap and then go on to win the race. I'm not sure if this is completely accurate, but it's worked for me 4 times in a row now. Also, to get the special prize in the drag race you need to win the event 3 consecutive times.

Third, when selling cars always go at least 3 times what the recommended price is, sometimes more. The more you ask the longer it may take to sell, but it will sell, usually around 3 to 4 races. Example, I sold my Mazda Cosmo for $40,000, the recommended price was $8,900.

If you've got any tips to share, please do.

paul e.

Agent
scott, i've only got about 6 hours in so far, i'm wondering have you tried any used parts and if so have you experienced any failures? now you tell me about the licenses i went through and got them all right away!

Scott "E"

Second Unit
i'm wondering have you tried any used parts and if so have you experienced any failures?
Yes I have and none lasted more than 2 races. I had an exhaust fall off on the final lap of race, lost a bit of power and had a trail of smoke following me around the track :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nice review, regarding the computer AI and the AI racing itself, do the AI cars continuously race or do they race with respect to your position? I.e. if the AI has a huge lead, do they race to maintain their lead or do they basically race to your ability/speed?

Jay

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Jay

The AI will race you to protect their position, also in the later difficulties you'd better have a good line trying to pass, the AI will get very aggressive protecting their position.

if the AI has a huge lead, do they race to maintain their lead or do they basically race to your ability/speed?
They most definitely maintain if not gain on their lead.

paul e.

Agent
thanks, i was curios about the used parts. and the a.i. is another thing that i really like, in sega gt if you're taking the inside line the a.i. will usually back off and let you in in gt3 they just drive like you're not even there. it's nice to see that finally the a.i. has some intelligence (or at least a knowledge of you're presence).

Romar Armas

Second Unit
I have given up on buying used Exhaust after it blew up on me the first time. :D However, buying anything else is fine. They won't break. The disadvantage however is that the used parts wear out much much quicker. So you will end up paying more to repair them. So I guess that's where the tradeoff is.
Buying new tires lasts much much longer than the used tires.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Also, here's a hint that took me some time to figure out.

To get information on your car (damage/upgrades) just press the Right Trigger anywhere in the menu screen (doesn't seem to work in the garage). I used to exit and go to the Parts Shop to see if I need to repair anything. This method lets you see the status when selecting events. Also helpful when you're browsing the cars you own to see if they're modified or not.

Pressing the Left Trigger will show you which Events the current car can participate in.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
So what cars are you guys buying as your first?

I haven't played much yet, but the selection of under 13k cars is pretty low. Last night I bought a Celica, added the N/A tuning, and won my first race. I guess I'm doing allright. I just can't wait to get into some of the nicer cars.

Also, why no BMWs, especially the M3/M5? I've never played a racing game with either of these two cars. What company has the video game license for them?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
[AI cars] will also try to avoid hitting you if you obviously have the advantage going into a turn.
This is an aspect that continues to piss me off in Project Gotham. :angry: I'm definitely going to have to rent this title. Probably buy it at some point, but I can have only so many racers.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I THINK it was Electronic Arts which has the rights to BMW's.. I might be wrong though.
Is the little Toyota MR2 in any revision in the game, by any chance? :)
Jay

Romar Armas

Second Unit
The MR2 SW20 is surely there! And there's a very very EVIL MR2 with over 800HP! :eek:
I bought the Celica 1600 and Civic Type R so far. The cars I've won have been great. I specially love the zero.

paul e.

Agent
just wait till you get the gt40 concept, fully modded. i call it my moneymaker ;) . i've also got a 400+ hp lancer and a 400+ hp mr2, with these three cars i should have the segagt mode beat by the weekend. i guess i need to start playing the chronicle mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks