What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (28 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Jcroy, these are the newly released 4 disc single sided 2017 re-packaging of Wonder Woman seasons 2 and 3...Walmart also had an identical new season 1 in the same dump bin...all at $8 each, so a great deal ($10 Canadian as I'm in Canada, but they must be all over Wally World)...obviously these have all been churned out by WB to capitalize on the new Wonder Woman feature film...good deal for me to have the series complete now, and cheaply...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jcroy, these are the newly released 4 disc single sided 2017 re-packaging of Wonder Woman seasons 2 and 3...Walmart also had an identical new season 1 in the same dump bin...all at $8 each, so a great deal ($10 Canadian as I'm in Canada, but they must be all over Wally World)...obviously these have all been churned out by WB to capitalize on the new Wonder Woman feature film...good deal for me to have the series complete now, and cheaply...

Thanks for the details.

If I had to guess, do they have six episode crammed per single-sided disc?

IIRC, the original flipper disc versions had three episodes per flipper side, with a total of six episodes per flipper disc.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, S2 has 6 episodes per disc for discs 1 to 3...and 4 episodes on disc 4 with the bonus documentary "Revolutionizing a Classic: from comic book to television". But the episodes themselves look great, rest assured!

S3 has the 24 episodes with 6 per disc also...both sets have the nice full color coated paper inserts with the episode guides...even with 6 episodes per disc, they look great...the same PQ as on my S1 3 disc flipper set...

They're dirt cheap and a great way for WW collectors to get the whole series at a cut rate cost...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yes, S2 has 6 episodes per disc for discs 1 to 3...and 4 episodes on disc 4 with the bonus documentary "Revolutionizing a Classic: from comic book to television". But the episodes themselves look great, rest assured!

S3 has the 24 episodes with 6 per disc also...both sets have the nice full color coated paper inserts with the episode guides...even with 6 episodes per disc, they look great...the same PQ as on my S1 3 disc flipper set...

They're dirt cheap and a great way for WW collectors to get the whole series at a cut rate cost...

Thanks for the details.

If you're following the long running thread here on double-sided flipper discs + their single-sided discs re-releases, recently it was noticed that some previous Warner flipper disc seasons sets might be re-released as single-sided discs versions in November. (ie. Kung-Fu seasons 1-3, and Dukes of Hazzard seasons 1-3 and 6).

If I had to guess, most likely they're getting a similar six episodes crammed per single-sided disc type of treatment like Wonder Woman.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks, Jcroy for that info also...I've never checked these kinds of releases for episode file size, bad sectors or bit rate...but I sincerely believe that these 6 episode discs have been brilliantly re-done in processing...all I can offer is my own visual perception...I honestly cannot see any appreciable difference in PQ resolution or video noise, artifacts, moire or anything detracting to the presentation I see in comparing my old 3 eps per side flippers for S1...I do agree that this is not always the case with cramming more data on a quality dual layer disc...like yourself, I would prefer a 5 disc offering for these new re-releases...but at least with these, they're doing something right technically...maybe it's just the usual high quality physical media that Warners uses?

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Seasons 3 and 4 of The Goldbergs.

I had pretty much given up hope and expected Sony to abandon the show when S3 just never happened last year.. But, here we are.
In my opinion, there is simply NO good excuse for abandoning current shows that haven't been cancelled. Not EVER! That said, I'm glad THE GOLDBERGS Seasons 3 and 4 are finally being issued!

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I had pretty much given up hope and expected Sony to abandon the show when S3 just never happened last year. But, here we are.
I purchased S1 of that one a couple of years back as a blind-buy and have yet to open it. I added S2 last year - again, unopened. I had no idea it was into S5. I really need to crack open that S1 set... I've read very good things about this one.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I had pretty much given up hope and expected Sony to abandon the show when S3 just never happened last year. But, here we are.
I purchased S1 of that one a couple of years back as a blind-buy and have yet to open it. I added S2 last year - again, unopened. I had no idea it was into S5. I really need to crack open that S1 set... I've read very good things about this one.

Along with THE BIG BANG THEORY, THE MIDDLE, and a handful of other current shows, THE GOLDBERGS is one that I'll miss being able to watch this season since we've cut the cable! :(

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Along with THE BIG BANG THEORY, THE MIDDLE, and a handful of other current shows, THE GOLDBERGS is one that I'll miss being able to watch this season since we've cut the cable! :(

No you won't... Just build a good library and purchase those "new" seasons when they go on sale. That's what I do and I'm so far behind the new shows I just no longer care if I'm "caught up" or not. I watch them when I can and am quite happy to not have to put up with commercials and other mindless interruptions. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
No you won't... Just build a good library and purchase those "new" seasons when they go on sale. That's what I do and I'm so far behind the new shows I just no longer care if I'm "caught up" or not. I watch them when I can and am quite happy to not have to put up with commercials and other mindless interruptions. :)
Any of our spare funds are currently going towards relocating, which is why we cut the cable, to begin with. Also, as we are paring down to make relocating halfway across the province less of a burden, I'm not purchasing any new videos or books until we move, which will hopefully be sometime next spring, if not sooner! Hopefully, once we're settled, depending on our finances, we might be able to get a cable package before summer, which would allow for some summertime rerun viewing?

In the meantime, we still have internet and phone with long distance, as both are necessary tools for communication, and I also find the former to be a great sanity saver! ;)

But I digress! :)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just received shipping notice from Bestbuy for the new Night Gallery complete series...I'm glad to have the whole thing, as I never bought the individual season releases...but I also have a love / hate relationship with the series as a whole...I love some of it, where it rose to the heights of the best of Twilight Zone...but detest the many awful segments that pad out the run...it was during the show's first run that I really felt sorry for an obviously tired and defeated Rod Serling...seeing him present on camera the kind of junk that he fought so hard against with the network ten years before...two years later he was dead at age 50...another long suffering World War Two Combat Veteran who struggled with undiagnosed and untreated PTSD....of course, booze and smokes didn't help...

But the price of the complete series is certainly right, and for some reason, Bestbuy really beat Amazon on the pre-order price point....usually they just match Amazon...this time I saved about 25% off the Amazon price, and with free shipping...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just received shipping notice from Bestbuy for the new Night Gallery complete series...I'm glad to have the whole thing, as I never bought the individual season releases...but I also have a love / hate relationship with the series as a whole...I love some of it, where it rose to the heights of the best of Twilight Zone...but detest the many awful segments that pad out the run...it was during the show's first run that I really felt sorry for an obviously tired and defeated Rod Serling...seeing him present on camera the kind of junk that he fought so hard against with the network ten years before...two years later he was dead at age 50...another long suffering World War Two Combat Veteran who struggled with undiagnosed and untreated PTSD....of course, booze and smokes didn't help...

But the price of the complete series is certainly right, and for some reason, Bestbuy really beat Amazon on the pre-order price point....usually they just match Amazon...this time I saved about 25% off the Amazon price, and with free shipping...
I feel pretty much the same about this one. In spite of that am leaning towards making the purchase.

Out of curiousity, what price did you get from BB? It's currently less at Amazon - $37.19 vs. $39.99.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'm in Canada, Howie...and with current currency exchange I got Night Gallery for $34.42 U.S. ($42.99 Can.) and free shipping from BB Canada...Amazon Canada still had it at $42.50 U. S. ($52.51 Can.)...I should have posted those details originally...usually when I post in this thread, I do the same day dollar exchange so as to show everything in U. S. dollar prices...so sometimes you guys can take advantage of the surprisingly good and frequent deals on Amazon Canada and other Canadian sites...your dollar is currently about $1.22 Canadian...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm in Canada, Howie...and with current currency exchange I got Night Gallery for $34.42 U.S. ($42.99 Can.) and free shipping from BB Canada...Amazon Canada still had it at $42.50 U. S. ($52.51 Can.)...I should have posted those details originally...usually when I post in this thread, I do the same day dollar exchange so as to show everything in U. S. dollar prices...so sometimes you guys can take advantage of the surprisingly good and frequent deals on Amazon Canada and other Canadian sites...your dollar is currently about $1.22 Canadian...
Out of curiousity I checked to see how much it'd cost to order there for shipment to the US. It was a bust - they only ship to Canada (how's that for a change of pace :D)! Oh well. I'm happy with the current Amazon price. :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks, Jcroy for that info also...I've never checked these kinds of releases for episode file size, bad sectors or bit rate...but I sincerely believe that these 6 episode discs have been brilliantly re-done in processing...all I can offer is my own visual perception...I honestly cannot see any appreciable difference in PQ resolution or video noise, artifacts, moire or anything detracting to the presentation I see in comparing my old 3 eps per side flippers for S1...I do agree that this is not always the case with cramming more data on a quality dual layer disc...like yourself, I would prefer a 5 disc offering for these new re-releases...but at least with these, they're doing something right technically...maybe it's just the usual high quality physical media that Warners uses?

(On a similar cramming theme).

I recently purchased CHiPs season 6, which also features six-episodes crammed per disc (except for the fourth disc, which has four episodes). This was released a few months ago by Warner.

As far as I can tell, the picture quality looks like typical early-80s ntsc quality. Judging by the MGM Television closing logos on these season 6 episodes, these particular transfers appear to date back to the 1979-1983 era.

http://www.closinglogos.com/page/MGM+Television

So most likely these were the same old transfers which were used in syndication reruns back in the day. (I use to watch CHiPs reruns back in the 80s).

Probably Ted Turner (and later Warner) didn't see much need to do an hd restoration. (If they did an HD transfer, they surely didn't use them on these dvds).

(More generally).

I'm guessing for other companies doing this six-episodes crammed per dvd disc thing (ie. Warner, VEI, Mill Creek, etc ...), this might be fine for older transfers dating back to the ntsc era, assuming they hired an expert encoder to do these dvds.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm guessing for other companies doing this six-episodes crammed per dvd disc thing (ie. Warner, VEI, Mill Creek, etc ...), this might be fine for older transfers dating back to the ntsc era, assuming they hired an expert encoder to do these dvds.

Not all shows have six episodes per disc-- VEI's release of Petrocelli had five episodes on some discs, four on others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks