What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
No , your eyes aint deceivin you —-there really was a Dukes of Hazzard cartoon!! —for 2 seasons even . I didn’t even know about it until a couple of years ago even tho young Kid grew up in that era . Imagine if you will , Friday night , The Incredible Hulk , then Dukes of Hazzard , then Dukes again on Saturday morning! Mindblowing! unfortunately, i didn’t even know they had a cartoon back then so i missed that once in a lifetime event. Its taken me a long time to see the error of my ways and get these sets even tho i grew up on the show and loved it —I’m from the South and i believe its illegal in 7 states not to like the Dukes of Hazzard or theres a mandatory 7 days in county holding -- Gods honest truth. Its the only show that i remember my grandma ( who lived out in the sticks —thats the country for you city folks ) would watch with me and my bro as a wee lad —good times . Its hilarious bc the cartoon has them racing around the world to different countries and makin new friends & enemies chased by Boss Hogg & Rosco P. Coltrane ( a-coo-coo-coo) & Flash (his good buddy dog) —how progressive is that!? also the cartoon has all the original cast as the Voices (very rare) , even cousins Coy & Vance -the Fake Dukes who took over for Wopat & Schneider in the 5th season due to a contract dispute —good thing i never saw those episodes back then bc i would’ve been like —what the he!!) . Its technically season 5.5 since it ran during season 5 & before 6 . I love watching the shows i barely remember from the late 70’s/ early 80’s ( Love Boat, Charlies Angels , Fantasy Island, Hulk, etc.) but upon rewatching this a couple of years ago for the first time since forever , i thought it was just ridiculous and that it was just a live action cartoon, so i passed on buying it . then it dawned on me “ EXACTLY” —thats whats its supposed to be , not Shakespeare! after getting off my high horse , i bought them and now love them just like when i was a kid . Besides , whats not to love— its got Daisy ( & her Daisy Dukes) , Uncle Jesse (Denver Pyle) , the Duke boys (for the girls- i actually just watched it for Daisy & the car/stunts like most guys) , Boss Hogg & Lulu Hogg , Rosco P Coltrane & Flash , Enis plus Cooter too & the General Lee —WITH the Confederate Flag , thank the lord bc i wouldn’t have bought it if they had blurred that out & they already updated the new release box art without it . Look, i’m as progressive as the next guy but the flag wasn’t used in any sort of malicious way and besides , it was just a different time . i understand why people don’t like the flag but that argument is for another day. Until then , —-Yeee Haaaw!!!

P.S.—theres even Christmas episodes for both series so its the gift that keeps on giving!

2A8768D4-4E42-42EB-9584-4425EE37CAF0.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Good stuff, Frankie! I remember catching The Dukes of Hazzard on Friday evenings as a kid growing up...even then, I thought it was pretty silly, but still watched it (I'm sure Catherine Bach and her Daisy Dukes had something to do with that ;) ). I've been contemplating picking up the first couple of seasons of the show just for nostalgia's sake, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

E7CBrDVWEAI4jp4.jpg:large

Definitely one of the main reasons to watch The Dukes of Hazzard.

Two things I have just purchased, though...a couple of early Christmas presents from myself to myself :):

1669785152563.jpeg

Doctor Who: The Collection Season 22
Labeled as Colin Baker Complete Season One in the accurate yet needlessly confusing North American numbering system. Been waiting to snag this one for a while...unlike Colin's 2nd season, in which only 14 25-minute episodes (and four stories) were produced, his first season is nearly twice as long, with six, 2 to 3 episode long stories (13 45-minute episodes...equivalent to a 26 episode season at the series' normal length.) Trivia note: this is the only season of the classic series where this odd 45-minute per episode runtime was used.

Several of these stories are ones I've never seen before, including the epic 3-part "The Two Doctors," in which Patrick Troughton returns with companion Jamie (Frazer Hines) to cavort around Seville, Spain, battling Sontarans and cannibalistic alien gourmands alongside incumbent Doctor #6 Colin Baker and his voluptuous companion Peri (Nicola Bryant). The 8-disc Blu-Ray set boasts the typically insane amount of exhaustive bonus material, which I look forward to perusing in detail soon.

1669785768486.jpeg

The Pretender S2
Been enjoying revisiting S1 of this very fun '90s show, so decided to pick up a "Used, very good" copy of S2 from Amazon Marketplace.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Good stuff, Frankie! I remember catching The Dukes of Hazzard on Friday evenings as a kid growing up...even then, I thought it was pretty silly, but still watched it (I'm sure Catherine Bach and her Daisy Dukes had something to do with that ;) ). I've been contemplating picking up the first couple of seasons of the show just for nostalgia's sake, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

The nicest guy on this forum is also the horniest guy.

Route 66 S02E12 And the Cat Jumped Over the Moon-f copy.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Its taken me a long time to see the error of my ways and get these sets even tho i grew up on the show and loved it —I’m from the South and i believe its illegal in 7 states not to like the Dukes of Hazzard or theres a mandatory 7 days in county holding -- Gods honest truth.

View attachment 164533

Why would it be an offense in those states to not care for this 1979-85 CBS rural adventure series?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why would it be an offense in those states to not care for this 1979-85 CBS rural adventure series?
Running joke in this part of the world where "everyone" drives a pickup truck... I live in one of those states and absolutely do not like that series (and have never owned nor never will own a pickup truck - though most of my HS friends did). I'm somewhat of an oddball in these parts.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan

Two things I have just purchased, though...a couple of early Christmas presents from myself to myself :):

View attachment 164669

Doctor Who: The Collection Season 22
Labeled as Colin Baker Complete Season One in the accurate yet needlessly confusing North American numbering system. Been waiting to snag this one for a while...unlike Colin's 2nd season, in which only 14 25-minute episodes (and four stories) were produced, his first season is nearly twice as long, with six, 2 to 3 episode long stories (13 45-minute episodes...equivalent to a 26 episode season at the series' normal length.) Trivia note: this is the only season of the classic series where this odd 45-minute per episode runtime was used.

Several of these stories are ones I've never seen before, including the epic 3-part "The Two Doctors," in which Patrick Troughton returns with companion Jamie (Frazer Hines) to cavort around Seville, Spain, battling Sontarans and cannibalistic alien gourmands alongside incumbent Doctor #6 Colin Baker and his voluptuous companion Peri (Nicola Bryant). The 8-disc Blu-Ray set boasts the typically insane amount of exhaustive bonus material, which I look forward to perusing in detail soon.

View attachment 164670

The Pretender S2
Been enjoying revisiting S1 of this very fun '90s show, so decided to pick up a "Used, very good" copy of S2 from Amazon Marketplace.
Sounds like it’s worth picking up for “The Two Doctors” alone. Was this Troughton’s final appearance? Were there any crossovers during the McCoy era? And being not overly versed in the modern era, did any of the Doctors from the classic era ever appear on the new series?

Also, I’m a little puzzled as to your rationale for selecting that picture of Catherine Bach. Surely you could have found one where she’s wearing the entire Daisy Duke outfit instead of only half. No doubt there’s a lot of grumbling going in as to how we’ve all been cheated.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Fantastic set which looks amazing on Blu. As much as the second season is lesser than the first, it makes up for that fact in escapism. Much like the second season of Buck Rogers, which also looks great on Blu-Ray!
I'm on vacation next week so I'll start those up in rotation with a whole crazy lot of classic sci-fi I'm already watching. Can't wait!

Yeah that second season of Buck looks great and less cheap even on dvd but it takes some getting used to. I don't mind it too much. I bought 2 dvd sets of that. One was at wallyworld for $10 years ago. Still have plastic. The one I use got dropped and the case is all cracked. But it keeps chuggling along! :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
oh, my sci-fi watching now includes Star Trek Enterprise which I only just a few weeks ago started. I watched all the way to the 3rd disc in about a week. lol that show is so good! and it came out in 2001!! I only just started DS9 not long ago. Soon, Voyager as well. but Enterprise is so perfect for me. I love it so much!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
oh, my sci-fi watching now includes Star Trek Enterprise which I only just a few weeks ago started. I watched all the way to the 3rd disc in about a week. lol that show is so good! and it came out in 2001!! I only just started DS9 not long ago. Soon, Voyager as well. but Enterprise is so perfect for me. I love it so much!
There is so much to love about Star Trek. Enterprise is really great. DS9 I have always felt is the most "sci-fi" of all Trek series, and Voyager (still love the opening theme) is just fun, and enjoyable throughout.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Enterprises theme knocked me out of the chair. but I was saying Whhhhaaat...? lol Sounded like Rod Stewart which was... shoot I don't know. I looked it up and it was a cover of one of him. It grew on me. Sounded perfect with all the imagery that flashes. Really builds me up.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Silicon Valley - Complete First Season (Blind buy - sounds like one I'd enjoy and I really like "IT Guys")
The 100 - 7th and Final Season for another completed series.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Thanks to Amazon's 'Cyber Monday' deals, I picked up the Paramount "all-in-one" Blu-ray release of the complete, original Twilight Zone (an upgrade from my old DVD sets), as well as Outlander: Season 6 on Blu-ray.

I also recently nabbed Blu-ray releases of:

The Point (TV-Movie, MVD)
The Initiation of Sarah (TV-Movie, Arrow Films)
The Peanuts' Holiday Collection (Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin, Happy Thanksgiving)
The Original (Rankin-Bass) Christmas Specials Collection (Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, Little Drummer Boy & Cricket on the Hearth)
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

71oAGrf2p6L._SL1500_.jpg

81H3mJ0mmaL._SL1500_.jpg

71msYIuRYcL._SL1200_.jpg

81TuEuCCzBL._SL1500_.jpg

815Q-OTCCCL._SL1500_.jpg

510NkpQPlHL.jpg

71Pp-YgXKfL._SL1500_.jpg

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
A couple of days ago I purchased a copy of The Professionals Complete Series DVD set. I know there’s a Blu-ray version, but my BR player isn’t all-region while I do have an all-region DVD player.

This is a blind buy but I recently came across a YouTube video of the opening and closing credits. Great 70s theme music. Plus it was created by Brian Clemens (The Avengers). So it looks like it could be fun.

And now that I’ve purchased this, watch VEI release a Region 1 version while I await my copy.

1670174613601.jpeg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
A couple of days ago I purchased a copy of The Professionals Complete Series DVD set. I know there’s a Blu-ray version, but my BR player isn’t all-region while I do have an all-region DVD player.

This is a blind buy but I recently came across a YouTube video of the opening and closing credits. Great 70s theme music. Plus it was created by Brian Clemens (The Avengers). So it looks like it could be fun.
Very fun show, Dave, enjoy! If you end up liking the series, I highly recommend snagging Network's Blu-Ray set...it's a massive upgrade. IMO a Region Free Blu-Ray player is an essential purchase...it opens up a world of possibilities for the physical media fan.

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks, Jeff. I’m looking forward to trying this new-to-me series.

I’m definitely considering a region-free BR player. When I first jumped into making international purchases in the summer of 2013, everything I was going to get was only available on DVD at that point, and the player (suggested by someone here at HTF at the time) was a good deal so I just grabbed it.

Now things are different and there are certainly more international choices on Blu (TV and film) that I wouldn’t mind getting, so I will likely look into buying a region-free BR player in 2023. Network especially has been stepping up and upgrading their titles to Blu, including some I’ve never gotten around to purchasing.

And with the considerable amount of use my current U.S. BR player gets, getting another player wouldn’t be a bad idea anyway.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Estate sales are a great place to acquire such things as older TV box sets. Often if they were big fans of a particular show, you can get multiple seasons or the entire series. I recently found two Johnny Carson compilation sets for $2 each, a Sondheim tribute concert, and I’ve passed up many I just didn’t have room and/or time for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks