What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Boys - S1 & S2. I'm really surprised this Amazon streaming series got a BR release.

I've been waiting for such a release for The Man in the High Castle since S1 and they've just not bothered. Now I'll just hope they continue physical releases on The Boys so I can complete it...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Oh please report back on this one. I have the season sets from Image form long ago and they look, well, pretty much like any release of a show of that era. But they didn't include the original pilot in it's single movie form and this release reportedly has both versions. Image had it on 18 discs and film chest seems to be 12. Yikes.
In spite of 6(!?!?!!!) episodes crammed on each disc (so far - but I don't expect that to change), the quality is good enough. I don't have the original releases to compare - but I've not noticed anything super bad. There's the expected video noise, mostly in blacks, and a bit soft at times (which could be in how it was shot) but it's more than watchable (42" TV - larger might produce a less satisfactory image).

That movie version of the pilot is on disc 1 with *4* more episodes. In spite of watching it followed immediately by the first 4 episodes I didn't really see/notice anything added/missing from it compared to the first 2 (3?) episodes it was split into for broadcast/syndication.

It comes in 3 standard size viva style DVD cases - 1 for each season - in an outer box (the thinner cardboard type). Discs 1 & 4 are on front/back case hubs with disc 2 & 3 on one side of a page (one disc per side). I've not seen any nudity so it's, like the earlier releases, the edited versions. I can't tell what, if anything, is really missing - at least nothing associated with any plots. No SDH but it *does* have CC.

For the $20 + tax I paid I'm quite satisfied.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Space 1999. Shout blus. this is about $47 with a nice amazon coupon. My DVDs were unopened for many years and when I opened them they were all sticky and messed up. Thunderbirds too. I hope that's on sale good like this.
That's a great price. If you like the series, you'll be super happy with this set.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's a great price. If you like the series, you'll be super happy with this set.
I saw a few growing up. And they used a few stuck together for the very first mst3ks. Can't wait to see it! I just love 60s and 70s sci-fi. Canadian stuff too. Really having a great time with Lexx. I wish they would upgrade the echo bridge stuff.

You know, I had reward points on my amazon cc and actually paid about $39! hee hee! I should brag about that. :p

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I saw a few growing up. And they used a few stuck together for the very first mst3ks. Can't wait to see it! I just love 60s and 70s sci-fi. Canadian stuff too. Really having a great time with Lexx. I wish they would upgrade the echo bridge stuff.

You know, I had reward points on my amazon cc and actually paid about $39! hee hee! I should brag about that. :p
The movie versions are a part of my childhood and have small charms of their own, but the original formats are the way to go. But that didn't stop me from getting the movie versions also. I've bought this series toooo many times!

And you did good on that price! I'd be proud too. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The movie versions are a part of my childhood and have small charms of their own, but the original formats are the way to go. But that didn't stop me from getting the movie versions also. I've bought this series toooo many times!

And you did good on that price! I'd be proud too. :D
Definitely one I was afraid of missing out on!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My Target B2G1 sale items are starting to show up... Today brought:

Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers - The Complete Series (BR)
Stargirl - Complete 2nd Season (BR)
Dark Skies - Complete Series (DVD)
Vikings - Season 6/Volume 2 (DVD) - Series complete
War of the Worlds - Complete Series (DVD)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Little House on the Prairie - S5 (BR). I'm done with this one as S1-5 are all of this one I desire to collect.
Knightfall - S2 (DVD). Another complete... OK... completed *twice*!!! I failed to remove it from a wishlist and ordered a copy on sale... when I'd ordered one 6+ months ago (also on sale)... I *hate* when I do that!! At least with the 2 sale prices combined I really didn't overpay so there's that.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The new Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet seasons 7 and 8 from MPI via Amazon Canada. Had to wait for them to finally list on our site, but I should have them early next week.

I also recently received MPI's Marineland Carnival with the Munsters' Cast Members and TV Rarities single disc release. Glad that MPI remains active in the vintage TV on DVD realm.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is this the 1988-1990 series? This one is in dire need of restoration, the "edited on videotape" aspect of the series makes it difficult to watch.

The format change in year 2 didn't help either...
That's the one. I've never seen it before, want to see it "just because," and it was inexpensive. I've read the complaints about the format change so know going it it's likely to be a rough ride.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've read the complaints about the format change so know going it it's likely to be a rough ride.

I think there were similar complaints made about Wonder Woman in the 70s with Lynda Carter; some thought the two CBS New Adventures seasons paled in comparison to the WWII first go that was on ABC.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I think there were similar complaints made about Wonder Woman in the 70s with Lynda Carter; some thought the two CBS New Adventures seasons paled in comparison to the WWII first go that was on ABC.
I'm one of them - I really like the first season. The 2nd and 3rd are OK but not nearly as good as S1. It turned into just another action/adventure series in those CBS seasons.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
81qE7G8sW5L._SY445_.jpg

Finally pulled the trigger on Mill Creek's complete series Blu-Ray set. For some reason, Best Buy.com (who had it for $49.99) wouldn't let me create an account, so I ordered this through good ol' trustworthy Amazon...paid a few dollars more, but still got a good deal.
That is a great price. I picked it up months ago and have yet to dig in. I hope I enjoy it overall.
Wow, Alan you continue to ferret out so many great thrift store TV on DVD finds! At prices that are next to giveaways! Where I am, those kinds of thrift store finds are very rare...I might check out my local landfill too, where garage sales go to die, ha, ha...Well done Alan, and I hope you have more classic TV treasures coming your way! Collectible LP records and magazines and comics too!

Now, I order you (ha, ha!) to go straight to Quincy M.E. season one episode 4, Hot Ice, Cold Hearts and check out Lynette Metty with ol' hangdog Jack Klugman at Santa Catalina Island July 4, 1976, the bicentennial year of America!
View attachment 161866
View attachment 161870
View attachment 161871

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I love Quincy M.E. If there is any series that deserves to be released on BD, this would be near the top of my list.
Space 1999. Shout blus. this is about $47 with a nice amazon coupon. My DVDs were unopened for many years and when I opened them they were all sticky and messed up. Thunderbirds too. I hope that's on sale good like this.
Fantastic set which looks amazing on Blu. As much as the second season is lesser than the first, it makes up for that fact in escapism. Much like the second season of Buck Rogers, which also looks great on Blu-Ray!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm one of them - I really like the first season. The 2nd and 3rd are OK but not nearly as good as S1. It turned into just another action/adventure series in those CBS seasons.

That's a great point-- as I understand it, you're coming from a standpoint of actually having seen the series on ABC and CBS; DVD is the only way I have seen it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's a great point-- as I understand it, you're coming from a standpoint of actually having seen the series on ABC and CBS; DVD is the only way I have seen it.
Yes - I watched it during the original airings and bailed after a half dozen or so episodes on CBS. It just wasn't the same. And I've still not watched it fully though I have both the DVD and BR releases. I've only watched S1 of the DVDs and haven't yet cracked open the BR set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks